SRAM 9.0SL™ Rear Derailleur Long Cage Derailleur

2.82/5 (11 Reviews)

• Super-strong pivots, links, and knuckles: increased rigidity and durability
  • ESP and Di.R.T combined technologies: lighter effort shifting
  • Expanded gear range: mini-offset upper pulley, 11-30 through 11-34 compatibility
  • Redesigned B-adjust and off-set: greater drop-out compatibility
  • Improved material use: enhanced product differentiation
  • Outward facing limit screws: easy access, intuitive adjustment, low-stress design
  • Detailed specifications: Grilon® composite knuckles, forged aluminum links, hardened pivots, I-Glide® bushings, aluminum B-bolt, forged aluminum B-adjust washer, forged aluminum short and long cage option, sealed bearing 11-tooth pulleys, adjustable spring tension, serviceable cage assembly
  • Also available in medium cage size

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Buck Link a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good, positive shifts.

Weaknesses:    No durability

Bottom Line:
    This derailler screwed-up my bike: When the "super strong" knuckle gave-way it slung around and hit the shock/seat stay, ruining it. It's nearly new as I don't ride this bike that often. It's NEVER BEEN CRASHED and NO ROCK OR STICK HIT IT.

SRAM needs to rethink this component. It looks good and shifts well, but at what cost. I can appreciate those who've never had one break singing the praises of this derailler because it does feel better than my XT did, but at what cost?. At the very least, you refit for a single speed back to the shop. At the worst you replace your frame. Want pictures? see:

It's no value if it breaks for no reason, It's poor for the same reason.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest or Sedona

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR and ESP 1.0

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Conquistador Tandem.

Submitted by Casey from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts are crisp and accurate.

Weaknesses:    Brittle

Bottom Line:
    Blew it out on the first hard ride. I had an XTR on it ffrom '99 until last month and it was still running well. I had the XTR on an old Klein that I put on my new bike when I bought it. It was starting to miss shift so I decided to try the SRAM stuff because of how well every one said they shifted. I "upgraded" to the X-9 and SRAM trigger shifters. They felt great on my local rides and then I took it to Snowshoe WV. On the second hard climb it overshifted on the low gear. Snapped my hanger and destroyed the X-9. Afer replacing with the hanger, the X-9 cage was almost scraping the spokes. I switched to a buddies bike (also an NSR1) that had the XT "low normal" and rode the same trails for 2 more days and it was still shifting as well at the end as when I started (perfectly). Goodbye SRAM! If you ride agressively, then forget it. If you ride smooth trails and don't like the light touch shifting of XT then maybe you can give it a shot.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   XTR rapid rise, XT and XT "low normal"

Bike Setup:   Giant 2000 NSR1 with upgrades

Submitted by tl1 a Cross Country Rider from Waterford, Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    I have the IMBA edition "Woody" 9.0sl derailleur. Good looks is a definite strength, I'd like to see SRAM do another "woody" edition for IMBA. IMBA was closing these out for $25 each around 1999 or 2000. I've had mine on since then and it's been absolutely flawless. It shifts great and has next to zero maintenance needs and hasn't broke. What else can you ask for?

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
    Two thumbs up.

Favorite Trail:   All of them.

Purchased At:   www.imba.com

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9.0, 7.0, Shimano XT, LX, Deore STX, Altus.

Bike Setup:   1998 KHS Team steel frame w/ 80mm travel Marzochhi Atom 80.

Submitted by Jeff Verheyen a Cross Country Rider from Barre, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, fast shifting. Light weight

Weaknesses:    Flimsy design. Easily broken

Bottom Line:
    Here's the sob story. 1st time 24 -hour solo rider. Confident in my gear's weight and performance to get him through. ON MY SECOND LAP (!) I took a tiny bit of air off of a bump on a pretty quick part of the trail (which I've done dozens of times before on XT-equipped bikes), I did a bit of a tail-kick and landed slightly off of centre, but somehow the twisting motion was enough for the cage to swing right into my spokes. You can imagine the mess that resulted in! There's no way a derailleur should behave like that! On top of that, who's going to support me at the race? No one's got spare SRAM parts! Needless to say, 2 hours later I had replaced both my derailleur and shifter with XT 9-spd. Works like a dream. So long SRAM!

Favorite Trail:   3 Stages

Bike Setup:   Full SRAM 9.0SL group on KHS XC904R with Rock Shox SID race f&r

Submitted by Stephen Smith a Cross Country Rider from Georgetown, IL, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Looks/weight/performance

Weaknesses:    still waiting

Bottom Line:
    I don't know how any of you are breaking these things! I've been riding mine for quite a while and it couldn't perform better!! I think using Gore Ride-Ons makes a tremendous difference, as they would with any derailleur, and with what you spend on other components, why wouldn't you?! Anyway, quick crisp shifts, great looks, great weight, easy set-up, what else do you want?

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9.0 & X.O. and a cheap Shimano Alivio

Bike Setup:   Fully Rigid Trek 850, no original parts, fully upgraded with top end stuff, Avid/Easton/Truvativ/SRAM/XTR/Mavic

Submitted by BIGman a Weekend Warrior from Almaty

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Strengths:    shifts like nothing on the market. extremely smooth, looks great.

Weaknesses:    that b-knuckle crap. why do they say that its got super strong pivots and knuckles? pretty expensive for that quality

Bottom Line:
    I think they have to sell these deraileurs for 10 buck as disposables. They break to fast and at practically no hard conditions. I love the feel of the shifting on ESP, but those B-knuckles are just crap!!!!! SRAM's customer support is useless as never replied to any of my mails. I think I will go ahead an get a Shimano compatibel rear shifter and get a XTR. Dont want to risk an investement of another 139 bucks and buying new X.0. Bottom line is that SRAM never reads customers' reviews and doesn't need any feedback and makes its components very weak. DONT BUY these deraileurs!!!! I kust hope that X.0 is better with its aluminium B-knuckle.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   deore, XT

Bike Setup:   stock pretty much. put an ESP and gripshifts instead fo stock Deore setup.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Strengths:    Affordable, reliable, easy to maintain, shifts like a dream, etc.

Bottom Line:
    After reading these reviews for some years now, I have concluded that I must be doing something right. I installed all three of these SRAM's myself (one is going on five years old now) and after many miles I have NEVER broken one yet! And yes, I have shifted successfully plenty of times while pedaling uphill. Mind you, I do keep cable tension to the absolute minimum and followed the installation instructions to the letter. I often go on epic rides and I have all the confidence that this product will get me home worry-free. SRAM 9.0SL will remain on every bike I own!!

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, etc.

Bike Setup:   Several Rocky Mountain's decked out with SRAM, Avid, Chris King, XTR and Race Face.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Strengths:    Very easy to install and adjust (no problems with needing re-adjustment), works sooooo smooth, not Shimano and looks cool

Weaknesses:    broke 3 in one year!! with only one replaced under warranty. The b-knuckle has snapped off in the same place all three time. Someone want to tell me why I even have a derailleur hanger?

Bottom Line:
    This thing works awesome. Easy to set-up, easy to maintain, shifts fast and easy... Problem is... THEY KEEP BREAKING!!! S*it happens. I understand that. But a rear derailleur hanger is supposed to give before the derailleur does... not once has this happened. I broke number 3 today, along with a new PC-99. I have had one warrantied... the rest I was told I was out of luck. Perhaps the X.O. will be better, but with that price, I could by a new XTR and Rocket shifters... not that I want too, but I can't continue to dispose of derailleurs like this, no matter how much I like SRAM products.

A good rating is pointless when you have to walk the bike home...

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, SRAM 7.0

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex.. Gore Ride-on cables

Submitted by john maietta a Racer from Henderson NV, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    great shifts

Weaknesses:    I have exploded two in less than a year. Not banged on a rock, no stick-in-the-cage, no over shifting. These peices of crap just explode. Both times at the farthest point away on a 18 mile ride. Thank got for rear entry drop outs.

Bottom Line:
    Opt. for XTR or weight for sram new XO. maybe Its not as fragile.

Favorite Trail:   rim nordic race course

Purchased At:   pro cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR almost equal in weight, shift just as well, in use for three years never have a problem.

Bike Setup:   Ventana el feugo all custom with hayes discs. awesome

Submitted by landy adkins a Weekend Warrior from midland,TX

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    never stays adjusted,

Bottom Line:
    the product is good for the time it is adjusted, butit is only adjusted for like a day. I work at a bike shop and I was adjusting it everyday.

Purchased At:   peytons bikes