SRAM 9.0 Rear Derailleur Derailleur

3.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Flatline G a Racer from Hudson, NH

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Durable as heck, Smooth shifts

Weaknesses:    NO hub mount version

Bottom Line:
I've sent this derailluer into rocks and removed a good amount of matierial from it as a result and it still shifts as smooth as the day I bought it. Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   NE Style

Purchased At:   Eastern Mountain Spo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Flatline Pro Frameset, Boxxer Fork, Azonic Outlaw wheels, Avid Codes, WTB Silverado Saddle, Maxxis Minion Tires, LC1 Chain Guide e13, Ultegra Casasete, Crank Bros. 50/50 pedals, Holzfeller crank, Howitzer BB, SRAM X-9.

Submitted by flankwood from Boxberg Germany

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2008

Strengths:    well it's a derailleur. It does what it should. It shifts quite well but the material is the problem

Weaknesses:    Iv'e had two snap on me close to where it bolts on to the frame. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but the second time a small stick hit it and bamm, it snapped off. It must be a manufacturer defect. Either way this derailleur is garbage. Im going back to Single Speed again

Bottom Line:
Please don't buy this derailleur.

Bike Setup:   06 Cannondale F600

Submitted by Deeez a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    This thing is sooo crisp and smooth, once it's set up. I can't see X0 being $180 better than this. The limit screws are big and easy to work with too.

Weaknesses:    I had to shim it, even after screwing in the mounting bolt fully to the hanger. It still had play on the mounting bolt shaft. Also, it wouldn't play right until the front was fully dialled in too.

Bottom Line:
I'm a convert with the 1:1 ratio. Plus at this price, there's no reason to go with anything else. I'll be converting my commuter bike over too. I had to ding it a chili due to the shim issue.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Forest

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, older SRAM (SX-5??)

Bike Setup:   06 Yeti 575, X0 grip shifters (fast shifts!), PG-990 cassette, PC-991 chain, XT front derr, XTR FC-960 cranks

Submitted by Josh from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    good shifting action when it's working

Weaknesses:    Flimsy, breaks easily. Many design problems with this rear derailleur. Went through several of them in one season, all with different problems. I also found the thumb lever part of the shifter to be in an awkward position.

Bottom Line:
I have never had worse luck with derailleurs since I changed over to SRAM at the beginning of the 07 season. The first X9 I put on lasted about a week before the mounting bolt sheared its flimsy alloy collar, allowing the derailleur to slide off and mangle itself. I was able to replace the bolt with one off an old X7, which was made of steel and didn't break. NOTE THAT YOU CANNOT BUY REPLACEMENT BOLTS! SRAM wants you to buy an entire new derailleur. What broke next was the whole area around the mounting pivot. The pulleys also broke teeth which I'd never had happen before. Also the lower pulley bushing is part of the cage on the short cage model that I had, and it got mangled to the point where I had to break the cheap thin plastic in order to get the pulley to rotate. The play where the plastic cage joins the derailleur body is really sloppy and this is after less than a season of riding. Compare this to my 4 year old XTR which is still tight and shifts well in spite of the fact that it has been through hell. The SRAM is a really inferior product. I switched because everyone was raving about how great they were, and I am now going back to Shimano after having nothing but problems. I am not a fan of Shimano either, it has just worked for me much more reliably. The SRAM is a good idea with the 1:1 ratio but the product itself is poorly made and needs a lot of improvement before I would try them again.

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR, SRAM X7

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz VP-Free

Submitted by Aron a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, shifted well until it broke

Weaknesses:    POS, Broke straight in half after a month of riding.

Bottom Line:
Worthless, I hope this comes back as a defect and I don't have to end up paying for a fix, I have only been riding with this derailer for a little over a month and it rips in half? I have never seen this before with normal XC riding and will be swaping it all out with shimano parts, a little heavier but I have never had this kind of problem with them.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder Canyon

Purchased At:   All Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper comp, all SRAM shifting

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from Ligonier, PA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Accurate, reliable, dependable. My setup is the 9.0 rear derailleur (med cage) with SRAM PG 970 cassette and SRAM PC 951 chain. I set it up and have had very little fine tuning since. Always shifts when it should and never shifts when it shouldn't.

Weaknesses:    None. The only other product I would ever consider is the X.0 and I cannot imagine how it is worth the additional cost.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this derailleur to anyone. If you need or want a new rear derailleur, definitely consider the SRAM 9.0. I honestly cannot say enough about how well it works.

Favorite Trail:   Black Bear - Rocky Gap

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Submitted by Zach a Downhiller from New Brunswick Canada

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely quite, once sit up right it never skips up or down hears nice and strong, if it brakes i will definently buy one again

Bottom Line:
Get One

Purchased At:   Mikes Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Norco A-Line

Submitted by Jonas from Oxford, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Shifths well everytime

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Been good to me so far. Takes some tinkering at first, but when dialed in works great. Biker Bob shop was also helpful in getting it to me fast and at a good price.

Purchased At:   BikerBob.com

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8 with sram xo and 9.0

Submitted by Elvis a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Strengths:    love this derailleur, man theis thing beats the all the xtr and tx crap ive ever had no way will i ever go back to the shimano junk again!

Weaknesses:    well it was to easy to set up and it hasnt needed to be ajusted since i set it up so my tools are getting rusty, thank god my partner has shimano stuff on his bike so i can work on a bike every ride!

Bottom Line:
Buy this if you want trouble free rides and low to no maint, but other wise stay away from it, hahaha!

Similar Products Used:   shi_mano

Submitted by Ian Chatwell a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2005

Strengths:    This rear derailleur (SRAM 9.0) came with my bike and worked great without any problems. Almost never had to adjust it. It is great for grip shifters.

Weaknesses:    The part snapped where it is plastic and hangs from the derailleur hanger. I think it was caused by a stick that got caught in the wheel.

Bottom Line:
It worked really well until it broke and considering the amount of riding and punishment that I gave it, I can't complain.

Favorite Trail:   Jack's

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Lancatser, Pa

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Has very acurate shifts, lihgt weight, better than shimano stuff.

Weaknesses:    I had the bike on 3 rides derailleur body broke where it attaches to the hanger. Looks like a defect we will see what happens with customer service.

Bottom Line:
I love sram stuff I think this is just a defect we will see what happens with cusmoter service. But this stuff shouldnt happen to a product with less than 24hrs on it.

Purchased At:   Came with bike