Shimano XT Rear Derailleur

4.19/5 (429 Reviews)

Shimano XT Rear Derailleur

Submitted by AWDfreak a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay Area, CA (USA)

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Quick instantaneous shifts, tougher than regular Deore

Weaknesses:    Most likely expensive when it was brand new

Bottom Line:
Truly a very satisfying and dependable rear derailleur. I have NEVER gotten it smashed by my spokes like my previous derailleurs.

Quick shifts and reliability that even impresses me (most of the "heavy" stuff I ride in is mud).

I can only say I am impressed with it.

This is the derailleur for those who really enjoy exploring or spirited riding on trails. If you ride on terrain or conditions that will punish rear derailleurs (for me, lots of mud), the Deore XT isn't such a bad choice.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore, crappy Shimano Altus and crappy Shimano Acera, decent Shimano Alivio

Bike Setup:   Deore XT rear derailleur on an 8-speed cassette

Submitted by firedude123 a Weekend Warrior from houston, tx. us

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    quick shifts (immediate)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
just replaced my old xtr rd with this shadow long cage. easy to setup, fast shifts, just what i'm looking for!!!
Nothing bad to say yet. only 15 miles on it but i'll put many more on it and comment again. Just took it for a hard ride, great shifting (thats whatit's for right?). the chain seems to be tighter, (i guess it's supposed to be).
for the price you can't beat it

Favorite Trail:   ant hills

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr (old style)

Bike Setup:   trek 8500 sid team shock, hayes disc.

Submitted by 56cbr600rr a Racer from Canton, GA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Decent derailleur.

Weaknesses:    Fragile, pricey, sensitive to mud/debris

Bottom Line:
I've used three xt rear derailleurs in the last 11 months. One came on my Trek eX8. Once came on my Giant Anthem x2. I also ride at least 12 miles 3 times a week at our local trails, and sometimes more. Also, race occasionally. My rear derailleur developed excessive play left to right and made shifting iffy. My first derailleur mysteriously got caught in my rear wheel on a flat section with nothing around to get caught in it. Before this happened I know it too started getting loose side to side and somewhat sloppy. Also the jockey wheel teeth wore down. I think all this contributed to the failure. The new xt rear derailleur also has the same slop. Also, i've replaced the jockey wheels with xtr wheels because mine worn out.

Recenely I was installing some cables on a friends extremely neglected SRAM derailleur and shifter set. It was dry, old, and abused and it shifted more precise than mine ever did.

I now have on order a x9 rear derailleur and x0 shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek, Chicopee, Snake Creek

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Anthem x2. Mavic Crossmax SLR, RaceFace Next SL carbon seat post and riser bars, Maxxis Aspen's, Gore sealed cables, Specialized Toupe saddle, WTB saddle.

Submitted by mikebsc7 a Cross Country Rider from Taunton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Makes shifting more practical, XT is light and durable

Weaknesses:    Not available in Shadow

Bottom Line:
Being able to shift to an easier gear while climbing is much more practical than the traditional top-normal RD's. I'm never going back!

Favorite Trail:   Massassoit

Similar Products Used:   XTR Top Normal RD

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Epic Marathon, Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheels, XT

Submitted by Piperoklis a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid construction, bomb proof, reliable sifting performance

Weaknesses:    A relative one- it needs to be adjusted regularly

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 1998 Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur. I've been using it under often extreme conditions (mud, dust, crossing river beds, crossing sea water). Twice it was hit so hard by rocks that it was grabbed between the rear wheels spokes-the wheel was jammed, the der survived, many other times hit by logs, rocks.
I have this for 9 years, and still working smoothly, needs perhaps little more frequent tweeking. I don't think you can expect anything more by a rear derailleur, and I don't think I will, when its time comes, find anything in the 2009 market as strong as this. Good old shimano friend.

Favorite Trail:   Ag. Apostoli, Chania Creta

Similar Products Used:   Shimano low-end crap rear der's, newer Shimano Xt's, Deore LX

Bike Setup:   GT Aggressor ('00 model) Pre-historic LX, old XT, mavic x618 with XT hubs wheels

Submitted by Tim Stevenage a Weekend Warrior from U.K

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Precise shifting once set up carefully

Weaknesses:    Simply would not stay in gear under load.

Bottom Line:
The "Shadow" XT mech came with the bike. When climbing on steep sections of track the chain would wonder onto the surrounding 2 cogs that the shifter had set it on. So on the third from top sprocket, for example, the chain would wonder onto the sprocket above it or below it. This was so frustrating. After endless trips to the bike shop where I purchased this bike from we checked the frame, the hanger, obviously the mech, we changed the XT cassette, the chain, shifters and even 2 front chainrings. In the end my bike shop put a current but non-shadow XT mech on.....problem solved. Naturally I think very little of this "Shadow" design from Shimano. Nothing so fickle belongs on a Mountain Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Coed Llandegla

Purchased At:   Came wth Bike

Similar Products Used:   The entire Shimano range and Sram Quartz.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 9

Submitted by renaultvwsaab a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Strengths:    Reliable and precise

Bottom Line:
it will be always XT for me

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Merah MTB trail

Bike Setup:   santa cruz heckler

Submitted by lukel a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Durable, Quiet operation

Weaknesses:    A little finicky to set up at times...

Bottom Line:
Absolutely no problems after 4.5 years on an all XT drivetrain. Shifts like it was brand new, and it has seen a good amount of riding. It can be tricky to get it dialed in perfect, but once you get it, it stays for months.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Claw Poppy

Purchased At:   Desert Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Newer XT, Deore, Sram x.7

Bike Setup:   Older Jamis Komodo

Submitted by Ricksom a Racer from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts as you would expect from Shimano. Easy to get replacements.

Weaknesses:    Shifting ability falls off dramatically in heavy, wet mud riding. This is due to the weak internal derailleur spring and large looping cable housing connection.

Bottom Line:
Rode in a 3 day stage race that was full of standing water bogs, deep mud, and water crossings. Starting miss shifting and ghost shifting after the first day. Those racers with SRAM did not have as many problems. Highly recommend using the Avid Rollamajig and Avid Flak Jackets with this derailleur in nasty conditions.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9 and SRAM XO

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 50 (stock)

Submitted by decipher a Weekend Warrior from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    Shimano Deore XT "Shadow" RD-M772-GS:

My first and previous mech was a low normal LX. Although on occasion I still find myself struggling with the opposite shifting direction over the LX - I find the low normal shifting direction more natural and intuitive - the XT delivers as promised in every other way: crisp, fast and precise shifting action, very good chain tension (I am using the mid cage SG version) easy to adjust even when on the bike riding via the shifter cable tensioner, rigid and bang-proof (it survived a hard contact with a branch that got pulled by the spokes at high speed). Low profile aside, the B-tension stop is really the highlight of this product, as with it, Shimano finally merges what's good about SRAM mechs, with what's already good about its own mechs to create an excellent product.

Also, quality pulleys and stiff springs.

Weaknesses:    None, asides that it's not XTR and the long cage version, is well... long (i.e. not too much ground clearance)!

Bottom Line:
In my opinion the Shadow XT is the best VFM mech you can buy, to the point Shimano had to add carbon to the to respective XTR version to justify the ridiculous price difference. I expect the XTR to be a higher quality product, both in terms of performance and materials/finish, but the XT is what you should go for if you're not a racer and/or weight weenie. I wouldn't bother with anything else, namely SRAM, really.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX RD-M580-SGS. I also have experience with the XTR top normal mech.

Bike Setup:   Relevant parts:

- Shimano Deore SL-M510 shifters (soon to be upgraded)
- 44/32/22 Shimano Deore crankset (soon to be upgraded)
- Shimano XT level chain
- Shimano Deore cassette (soon to be upgraded)

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from North Shore, MA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, lasts and lasts, reliable. Relatively low maintenance, but keep it lubed.

Weaknesses:    None yet, it's 8 years old and about to be retired.

Bottom Line:
I've had the same XT derailleur on my bike since 2000. It gets used hard a lot. I torque my cassette (lx) and work the drivetrain hard and it's survived so far. I've gotten tangled with shrubs and trees, hit the derailleur in rock gardens, on logs, and roots, and it hasn't bent or broken. After 8 years the springs are getting tired and it's not as stiff as it used to be. Has some lateral side to side movement from wear, but I can't blame it. Time to get a new drivetrain setup, am sticking with the same model XT!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt, rocks, roots, you know the drill

Purchased At:   NS Cycles

Similar Products Used:   other Shimano derailleurs

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized Enduro comp, Manitou SIX Elite fork, otherwise stock all around.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from North Shore, MA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Weaknesses:    None yet, it's 8 years old and about to be retired.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt, rocks, roots, you know the drill

Purchased At:   NS Cycles

Similar Products Used:   other Shimano derailleurs

Submitted by Alan Rodriguez a Racer from Monterrey, N.L. Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Everything is good on this piece, Very reliable, confident and very trustable derailleur.

Weaknesses:    You get tired of seeing the same piece through the years on your bike.

Bottom Line:
Sorry for not putting the price paid but i have never ever paid for a rear derailleur because is one of the only few pieces i have never changed on my last and recent bike. The old M600 Raleigh worked perfectly for 5 years of abuse and finally the bike was sold before i ever replaced the derailleur. With my actual bike a Trek 9.8 carbon (i switched from the initial trek 8000 frame) which is a custom made bike and one of the very little pieces i did not change was my RD-750. It is awesome how it works, better impossible. Due to a crash i had i have to replace it but i go to my bike shop and bent over the leg and still works fine, finally i am going to give it a break and buy a new derailleur. I think i am going for the Rd751 which i have not tried before but i t seems to be as nicest as these old ones. Do not hesitate on buy this piece of art.

Favorite Trail:   Bajada de piedra, Chipinque