Shimano XT Front Derailler Derailleur

3.49/5 (136 Reviews)

Shimano XT Front Derailler

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth shifting uphill or down.

Weaknesses:    Pain to keep clean. Dried mud and dirt easily gets jammed in the derailleur causing a cleaning headache. This is especially an issue when riding on wet, clay-based terrain.

Bottom Line:
This is a good choice for individuals who enjoy XC cycling and seek to race occasionally. Read the instructions carefully when tuning the derailleur as missing a step can be frustrating.

Purchased At:   Duke's

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX

Bike Setup:   Full XT

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Looks good on the bike, comes with different shims so it can be mounted on pretty much any frame except some older steel ones. Shifts well enough.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty decent front derailleur. It replaced an older STX front derailleur that some how developed a huge problem where the cage wiggled a lot when the derailleur was engaged. This gets the job done but probably needs another adjustment. If I pair it with micro-adjust grip shifters that will most likely solve the problem.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, SRAM x-Gen

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by batman123 a Racer from us of a

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    easy to set up a monkey could do it blind folded

Bottom Line:
good buy , easy to set up. cheap (like youre mom)

Favorite Trail:   youre mom

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   xtr,youre mom, lx, youre wife,

Bike Setup:   all xt ,cannondale frame

Submitted by Bryan Bracy a Cross Country Rider from Kadena Okinawa Japan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts quickly and crisply; looks great.

Weaknesses:    I sometimes hear chain rub and it's expensive. And it's skipped twice already.

Bottom Line:
I should get off my butt and adjust it. It's great product.

Favorite Trail:   Downtown

Purchased At:   Outdoorshop NEO's

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   08 KONA Blast XT cranks, XT F/R der., XT triggers, and Dart2 on Kenda semi-slicks

Submitted by joseph warren from cherry valley

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    crisp smooth fast shifting very durable and strong easy to work on and ajust

Bottom Line:
this is a very nice derailer for good price and very dependible

Favorite Trail:   ones in my yard

Similar Products Used:   lx sram x9

Bike Setup:   jamis avid fox shox

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Taipei, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2008

Strengths:    It works, but no better than practically any other front dérailleur I had used on my own or other bikes.

Weaknesses:    It rusts, yes, it started rusting after 3 months of normal use! None of my previous derailleurs, front or rear, ever rusted. Nothing else on my bike has started rusting, not even the chain.

It also needs frequent adjustment of min-max screws to keep it working within chainring confines.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this derailleur. It works no better than the cheaper ones, is only 10g lighter than the LX, and it rusts. Shimano also does not offer any warranty on it once it rusts, as it is apparently the owner's fault for getting it wet and using it as intended.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Acera (still going strong after 4 years), Shimano XTR E-Type (brilliant, I should have kept it)

Bike Setup:   Custom built from the frame up freeride bike

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Snellville, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    good price and it works.

Weaknesses:    chain rub is really annoying to me so i took off my FD and just going to let my bike be a 9 speed. i never use my FD anyway so no lose for me.

Bottom Line:
had chain rub on the inner and outter side of the front derailluer in certain gear combinations and from what i've been told by 2 bike shops that that is a common thing but it gets on my nerves to hear it so i just took off my FD because i never use it anyway. had i not had the chain rub then i would say its good as a FD could be.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   cheaper shimano stuff

Bike Setup:   Specialized HardRock, BB7 disc brakes, RS Dart 3 fork, Stylo2.2 crank, XT rear, LX cassette, and XT dual control shifters, Rhynolite rims on XT hubs.

Submitted by Edo a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Shifts as it it is supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift quite as smooth like Champagnolo front derailleur on my road bike.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from Deore to XT and I can feel the difference (contrary to some people claims). Deore had too flexible cage, resulting with problems with shifting both up and down. To shift up, You needed to keep the shifter for a while, until it shifts, and while shifting down, it sometimes droped the chain (say, 1 od 10 times). It was not an adjustment problem because I had it tuned like 10 times by professionals. It is not happening with XT. It shifts quickly and accurately.
My first derailleur was Acera and it was a peace of crap. When I switched to Deore the difference was hughe. Upgrading from Deore to XT is not such a hughe difference but I do feel the difference.

Purchased At:   Maraton, Brezice

Similar Products Used:   Acera, Deore

Bike Setup:   Kona hardtail. LX and XT stuff mix.

Submitted by Giancarlo Pelosi a Weekend Warrior from Miramar, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Rugged and reliable. Great shifting with a smooth action. Great bang for the buck. Lives up to the XT name.

Bottom Line:
If you don't want to spend big bucks on an XTR der or a SRAM XO, this is the way to go with the same performance.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Bell's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   LX and XTR Front der

Bike Setup:   06 Giant Trance 1 stock set up with a Chris King headset, Mavic Crossmax SL disc, Kenda Nevagal UST's, XT rotors, and ODI Rogue lock on grip upgrade.

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    price? maybe. i paid less for my SRAM which didnt fit my bike as I blankd and didnt realize they only made bottom swings. I paid more for this piece of total garbage. And i have to live with it because SRAM hasnt made a top swing yet and doesnt plan on it. It was a pain in the ass to setup, setup my tension, i could not get it to switch down from the middle ring to the smallest ring. LIMITED CAGE adjustability! I figured i must have been doing something wrong, took it to the LBS where i bought it, they checked it out, readjusted it, and told me thats about as good as its going to get. if i am in anything from 6-9 it wont shift from the middle gear to the bigger gear. and it rubs and rubs and rubs. i had to bend the crap out of it to be able to shift from 2nd to 1st. ugh. theres a reason its called sh!tmano

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
This derailleur sucks compared to its competitors, had it been that my frame accepted a bottom swing, i would have never ever considered buying this pile of junk

Purchased At:   Incycle

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X-Gen front derailleur (beautiful product)

Submitted by Dbohnsai a Downhiller from Chilli, Oh

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts well, sturdy, haven't broken one yet, much cheaper than XTR!

Weaknesses:    suppose the multi clamp/multi pull factor is a bit of a waste. If you can't figure out what kind of FD you need you're better off having the LBS take care of your bike.

Bottom Line:
Can't see paying twice as much for a XTR FD when I hardly use the darn thing anyway.

Similar Products Used:   Alivio, ancient STX

Bike Setup:   04 Kona Stinky Primo

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Machesney Park, Illinois

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    Its new.

Weaknesses:    Why dont derailluers come in colors?

Bottom Line:
I have the new 760 XT front derailluer on my Intense Spider. So its a 34.9, top swing. To be honest, I never notice the function of this product, and thats exactly what a great product will do. It does its job, quietly and effectivly. No complaints on this derailluer.

Purchased At:   Came with the bike at the Pony Shop near Chicago

Similar Products Used:   All Shimano, some SRAM.

Bike Setup:   New 760 XT on my Intense Spider.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Manchester Uk

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts well when used with a shimano chain.

Weaknesses:    Doesnt shift so well with an Sram chain

Bottom Line:
This worked flawlessly with my 7 speed (and therefore a wider chain) setup until I switched the chain to SRam for the powerlink versatility. Since then I have struggled to get down from the big ring to middle. I don't think this is the fault of the mech though. I also suffer chain rub when I am in big chainring and little sprocket. Again I think this is more to do with how I have set the bike up. (So I can run big chainring big sprocket on downhills to reduce chain slap)

Good crisp mech. Might upgrade to XTR when I can afford but good enough for now. Got it for a tenner on ebay so I can't complain.

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Garden City, MI

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    Strong shifting

Weaknesses:    Multi-clamp size shim thingies, directions that are poorly laid out and, in spots, simply incorrect.

Bottom Line:
This is a definite upgrade from the POS Alivio that came on my bike. Now that I finally have it set up correctly, it shifts quite strongly.

That's where the problem comes in. The shims they give to fit any size are a pain to get installed properly, so prepare to swear at them a couple of times before they stay put. So, after navigating the uniquely designed directions, and adding in a bit of guesswork on my own, I got the thing installed. Sweet, let's go riding! But wait! There's more. The first shift I tried to use it for actually twisted the derailleur on the frame, which caused my chain to tangle up in it. This, of course, created a nice tangle of chain, derailleur, and chain stay that I got the joy of untangling on the trail. I wasn't too pleased about the paint I lost off my chainstay, either.

So, I basically reinstalled it, and this time, I tightened the living daylights out of the bolt for the clamp (and far, far exceeded the recommended torque). But, it finally shifts right now.

Bottom line: The shim idea sucks, and installation isn't nearly as easy as it should be, but once you get it done, this things works pretty well.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake