Shimano STX RC Rear Derailleur Derailleur

3.65/5 (98 Reviews)

Shimano STX RC Rear Derailleur

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    14 years old and still going. This STX-RC came stock on my Mongoose SX 6.5. I have ridden this thing hard on single track. Now, sure I only do the blues, but it has taken them for a good 14 years and they are still going. I don't know why everyone has stopped building quality like this, but it is a shame!

Weaknesses:    After 14 years it's starting to skip on climbs

Bottom Line:
Best derailleur ever, sad that I have to replace them.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Duration Product Used:   14 years

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Deore on a GF Cobia, XT/XTR on a Trek 8700zx

Bike Setup:   Mongoose SX 6.5 still stock except for seat post, handlebars, and stem! Rock Shocks Jett c fork

Submitted by Joe Kitchell

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    This is a really strong and reliable derailleur. I ran this for a good 10 years on a bike that was used everyday and it gave no problems at all. The design is identical to the slightly older XT model, the only difference being that the chainguide is all steel on this model and the XT is half alloy. You still get the same performance at an excellent price.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the "glam factor" or higher-range derailleurs

Bottom Line:
It's a well-finished good looking piece of kit. It won't make your peers swoon with envy but you get the top line performance at a price where you won't cry if you knot it up in a branch.

Submitted by oscar a Cross Country Rider from miami,florida,united states

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    its bullet proof trust me i know. i lost my leg overseas and i just started rideing agian and the STX is smooth and effient like an american and an M4A1 UNSTOPABLE.

Weaknesses:    NONE to date .has over 20,000 miles on it and i just started adding.i hope i don't jinks it.

Bottom Line:
if it works well well let it work i have been rideing since the early 1990's on and off road on the velo sport it was an 18speed and i upgraded to 21speed putting a sachs 7speed gear and STX rear derailleur.the STX has never failed me and i have gone on some real tough trails and in the sand on the beach shifting in deep sand and it never failed.i wouid buy it again .

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   bike shop back in 19

Similar Products Used:   suntour

Bike Setup:   velo sport

Submitted by EarthJourney a Weekend Warrior from MI, TN, GA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great shifting (in dirty conditions) - seems to be bombproof by my way of thinking.

Weaknesses:    NONE! I'd buy it again in a NY minute.

Bottom Line:
It's over 10 years old - granted used primarily on the weekends only - but this STX RC has been through hell and back (as has the bike). I'm big (wt varies from 225 - 235) and I ride HARD. This derailleur has taken all I've thrown at it and asked for more. To top it off - the care I've given it hasn't been very good. Several folks have given it low marks - ??? Friends w/higher end bikes consistently had more issues w/their derailleur - I've never had one (and I rode more consistenly and harder than they). I've also got a road bike w/XTR and it's far more tempormental than the STX.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the mtns.

Purchased At:   Came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   '96 or 97 GT Tequista

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, low maintenance, good looks.

Weaknesses:    Lack of respect from label - it ain't LX, XT, XTR, etc.

Bottom Line:
Great product for the money. I really can't tell the difference between this and my new XT/XTR setup on my new bike. Shame the current Deore series isn't as good! I wish they still made these...

Favorite Trail:   Black Mt. Canberra Australia

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Deore, LX, XT, XTR, SRAM X.7/X.9

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive 5 1.0 (XT/XTR)

Submitted by Ricardo Prado a Cross Country Rider from Campinas, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    Unbreakable! It has been shifting the gears of my '98 Cannondale F700 for almost 10 years. Occasional cleanning and ajusting (every 200 km or so). Precise and everlasting. This product line is outstanding: I also own STX RC hubs and I have never seen anything that rolls as much as these.

Weaknesses:    Hardly anybody is familiar with this derailleur here: no market value (but, hey, who's selling??)

Bottom Line:
Great, great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Atacama Desert - Chile

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X9 on my brand-new-still-shinning Speciallized Stumpjumper 2008...

Bike Setup:   1998 Cannondale F700 - Fork Manitou SX LT 100mm, Handle bar Titec, Seat post Thomson Elite, Seat SPZ BG Sport, Shifters Deore XT, Front and Rear Derailleur STX RC, Rims Sun CR18, Hubs STX RC, Back Tyre Maxxis Larsen TT, Front Tyre Maxxis Minotaur.

Submitted by Cameron a Weekend Warrior from Kettering, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    Lasts forever.

Weaknesses:    I have both the STX and the STX-RC. The STX is in better shape right now, but it has the nut style cable pinch, instead of the 5mm allen bolt that's on the RC and is common now.

Bottom Line:
This thing last forever. It's not officially 10 years old, and it shifts great. I took it out two days this weekend, with hard climbs, puddles, rocks, and never missed a shift. As long as it's set up properly, I can't find fault with it. It also has a smoked metal color, which looks sweet, even better than the current shifters.

Favorite Trail:   MoMBA

Bike Setup:   Kona Fire Mountain ('98), Haro Escape ('98)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, weight, colour, clean & crisp shifting.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a *Shimano STX* rear derailleur, it does not say "RC" (racing) on the sticker on the derailleur. It came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet, it has over 10,000kms on it and has been 100% trouble-free. The silver colour blends in well with the rest of the bike, it has given me years of clean & crisp shifting.
Bottom Line: This rear derailleur is just as good as my Shimano Deore XT on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet - D'Ornellas Bike Shop (1996)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore XT.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from mississauga

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
This came on my LTS in about 1997-98. It shifts about as well as an XT. How do i know? I have an XT deraillieur now, and i compared them, this is what i found..

the colour is different
the spring on the XT is just slightly stronger, or it could be my imagination
the bottom plastic wheel on a XT has a sealed bearing, and the STX isnt. I dont have a weight scale, but im pretty sure they are nearly the same weight.

in other words, people who have had problems with this stx part and tell you that you need to go to LX or XT have

#1 no clue how to properly adjust a deraillieur (lousy shifts)
#2 do not have things tight (falling off twisting etc)
#3 genuinly have really bad luck, because essentially your buying XT parts before they were called XT.

If you have an older bike that needs a decent shifter, buy a STX it`l cost you nothing and it should work well as long as it isnt damaged

Submitted by John from Workington, UK

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Lasted 12 years with only occasional adjustment and cleaning before worn beyond use. It was used in very dirty environments with chain stretched beyond shimano measurement guage limit and still could possibly be repaired by replacing bushes and spring to fight another day.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses, bad workmen blame their tools on this site.

Bottom Line:
Do they make them any more?

Submitted by barry burnham a Cross Country Rider from la pine or usa

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Strengths:    has always been reliable

Weaknesses:    minor adjustments about once a year

Bottom Line:
i have been using this bike with the stx derailer that came with it for 11 years. i have riden it everywhere and almost everyday. it still performs well to this day.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   fullerton schwinn

Similar Products Used:   '91 xt

Bike Setup:   '94 gt tequest rigid fork

Submitted by Julie Panthei a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    Sleek design-not too bulky. Has little chainslap when adjusted properly. Had the part for 7 years and still works well after daily riding and standard tuneups.

Weaknesses:    Hard to tuneup on the fly and needs expert tweaking for crisp shifting. Better for lighter riders on moderate trails.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike and has worked well with daily use. Keep it if you're a light rider mostly into moderate technical trails or touring. Forget it if you're a heavier rider into thrashing technical terrain or an advanced xc trail rider- get upgrades (or have a whole other bike for that).

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Gooch's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Sram,Deore,LX,XT

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Rockadile, Rock Shox,Deore and LX mix

Submitted by Jessica a Downhiller from Labrador City

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts easily when new...

Weaknesses:    Pain in the butt to adjust, takes a long time to move chain between gears.

Bottom Line:
I liked the STX RC when I first bought it but after 3 years of wear and tear it hasn't worked properly since. When I go up steep hills it refuses to change gears. Sometimes I got give the thing a good kick for it well work, probably making it worst but it sure do ease my frustrations!
After I decided to use the decore and its been worken awesome for me since.

Favorite Trail:   Smokey Mountain

Purchased At:   C &S Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Decore, Alivio

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Bethlehem PA USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    absoutly none what so ever.

Weaknesses:    Everything imaginable.

Bottom Line:
This STX came with my bike and it is the worst deralier on gods green earth. riding not jumping down about a 40 foot staircase with about 4 feet inbetween each stair my rear wheel locked up about halfway down. luckily i made it to the bottem with me life. when i looked at me rear wheel the derailer was upside down bending my spokes to about a 90 degree angle. When i attempted to move it back to the normal position the two lower (what should be lower) guide wheels and bracket snapped off and when i picked it up off the ground the guides looked like a butterfly. if you want to live to ride another day dont but this piece of crap!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Local Single Track