Shimano STX Front Derailleur Derailleur

2.62/5 (93 Reviews)

Shimano STX Front Derailleur

Submitted by andy a Weekend Warrior from el cerrito, ca

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    does the job just fine now. fast smooth shifts & no problems

Weaknesses:    not a weakness of the product per se, but 3 ring front derailleurs really need to be set up by someone who is an expert in order to shift as they should. Mine worked OK on the bike as delivered, but with a bit of trouble here and there. I recently found a bike mechanic who did some tweaking including bending the cage a tiny bit. Now the thing shifts perfect every time. I am willing to wager that with many people who have had trouble with front derailleurs, the fault of the install/adjustments and not the component.(there are very few with good ratings here)

Bottom Line:
I was ready to try and get another type because mine was marginal in its performance. With a bit of tweaking from a really good mechanic, it now shifts perfect every time.

Similar Products Used:   Deore, Tiagra

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz

Submitted by ron a Cross Country Rider from estonia

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    still works

Weaknesses:    not very fast
adjustment

Bottom Line:
it works okay with old 7-speed sytems, but it cant be adjusted to work perfectly (on my bike).
it doesnt work fine with 9-speed system, it thorws the chain off sometimes and it cant be adjusted to work right

Similar Products Used:   acera-x, alivio, deore

Submitted by Hank Jien a Weekend Warrior from South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Strengths:    -durability
-quality
-little maintainance
-fast shifting(if adjusted right)

Weaknesses:    (none)
-the bolts may wear if you over tune it
(for this just take it to a shop, YOU'LL ONLY HAVE TO TUNE IT ONCE FOR LIKE A YEAR OR MAYBE LONGER, SO IT'S WORTH IT, EVEN I SAID THAT)

Bottom Line:
Just get it!(if you can find one, I am not sure)I have had this derailleur for 6 years now and the last time I tuned this was in Nov. 2002. Today is May 30 and it's still working like a beauty. Mine is the STX RC. I only like lubed this once in six years. This may be old but after it's well tuned it works like a BEAUTY! WHEW AH AH! SAAAAAWEEEEEET PRODUCT.

I will recommend this product to anyone from racers to freeriders, although I haven't tried XTR's. I am sure it will work well with any setup. Keep it on your bike if you still have it. Just remember to get a skilled mechanic to tune it or you'll strip a bit of the bolt off if you over tune it.

Favorite Trail:   South Surrey Atheletic Park

Purchased At:   (came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore and those Shimano OEM stuff

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts Slick Rock, LX drivetrain, 2001 Marzocchi Z5 100mm coil, LX hub built onto Mavic M400

Submitted by Brian Kelly a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, works good enough for me

Weaknesses:    a little heavier (but not much) than LX

Bottom Line:
Well, I've had this derailleur for nigh on 8 years now and have had very few, if any, problems that I could blame on the derailleur. When mounted and adjusted properly, I have never had any problems with it. Handled N. Georgia clay, New England mud, and now sloppy cross course (w/ 46T ring) with no problem. Maybe I've just been lucky...who knows? For a straight forward, utilitarian derailleur this has worked fine in my book. The only time its misbehaved has been when the drivetrain as a whole has been a mess. Under these conditions, I doubt even XTR would function properly.
Now, I'm not saying I don't notice difference between the shifting of higher end groups and this simple STX unit. But, its not so bad as to make me want to give it the old heave-ho.

Similar Products Used:   lx

Bike Setup:   Been on my old hardtail, now on my 26" cross/commute/touring bike. Wife has one on her mtb as well.

Submitted by Travis a Weekend Warrior from Dallas,TX

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    Shifts well until...

Weaknesses:    ...after many uses the cage will get loose. Makes shifting under stress almost impossible.

Bottom Line:
Upgrade at any time to LX or XT. Even if you have no need now, you will eventually.

Purchased At:   With Gary Fisher Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX/XT

Bike Setup:   GF with Marz Atom 80, shimano eq.

Submitted by guy from boston

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    it doesnt spontaneously burst into flames and explode

Weaknesses:    it does jsut about everything else, except shift correctly

Bottom Line:
this is a p.o.s. If your bike came with it, take it off and throw it into a vat of molten metal. It shakes it rattles and it fails to shift. It broke two chains of mine and still wouldnt down shift...so i got another one...brand new, out of the box, bike shop installed, it failed to shift correctly once again and three rides later that familiar shaking and shiftless front derrailer was back. The lx i replaced it with has been working well so im happy for now...

Submitted by Kevin Richardson a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive, reliable

Bottom Line:
I have the bottom-pull model.
After reading all the negative reviews I'm wondering what the problem is. I've had this on my bike for 5 years and it has NEVER put the chain on the frame, or onto the crank. It shifts quickly and accurately everytime. I will be replacing it with a new XT when it wears out, but that's mostly to match the rest of my drivetrain. Anyone who is complaining about this derailleur needs to learn how to adjust it properly. I don't know how much improvement I'll see when I put the XT on because this derailleur does the job perfectly well - whether it's going up a big-ass hill or cruising on a paved path.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Kona Lavadome w/ XT drivetrain

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    Accurate shifting. Strong and stiff. Easy to maintain. I just use it and forget about it.

Weaknesses:    I really can't complain about this product even though it seems like everyone hates it.

Bottom Line:
This came standard on my bike which I had for two years now. Of all the components on my bike, the STX front dr is definitely one of the easiest to maintain parts. Aside from setting the adjustment screws I had not trouble with it. In fact, I am just as happy with it as my XT front dr on my freeride San Andreas. I ride hard and abuse my bike. The XT rear der. craps out more than the STX front der. For those who are having trouble, spend some time to adjust it. Just because it's a STX doesn't mean it is crap as some people prejudged anything lower than LX grade. STX rocks the price performance ratio.

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Alivio

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SuperV

Submitted by Greg from Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    shifts up okay, I guess

Weaknesses:    Lets see....doesn't shift down properly to the middle chainring if you're putting any pressure whatsoever on the pedals, can't be properly adjusted (even by the bike shop), scratched my frame

Bottom Line:
This thing is completely inadequate if you do any trails that have hills (unless you enjoy shifting down long before you need to). It cannot shift down into the second chainring unless you are putting VERY minimal pressure on it. This der. came with my bike, and has been a pain in the neck ever since. I'm relegating this p.o.s to my pile of broken components...where it belongs.

Bike Setup:   99 rockhopper

Submitted by dave a Racer from canada

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    NONE!!!!

Weaknesses:    This FD clamp broke when I attempted to tighten the clamp! Not much FUN!!!! I have never even heard of a clamp being broken while tightening!!!! Is there anyone else out there with a similar story!!!!?????

Bottom Line:
TTHIS THING SUCKS!!! BORKEN CLAMP!!!! HOW CHEAP CAN ONE GET!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive...

Weaknesses:    poor shifting performance

Bottom Line:
This derailluer just hasn't cut it - it shifts well from the middle to the big ring and back but it has lots of trouble from the middle to the small. It likes to hesitate and if you over compensate on the adjustment you lose the shift speed from the small ring to the middle - so pick your poison. I've tried every adjustment possible including setting the der. cage all the way down to the rings, changing the toe adjustments in and out - nothing works, so I've lived with this thing until I can upgrade it to something better - soon I hope!

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon

Similar Products Used:   old deore stuff, LX

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper, mostly LX, Marzocchi fork...

Submitted by Evan a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Lasting, little maintenence...when you are off the trail...atleast

Weaknesses:    try going downhill, over rocks, roots, the usual, then shifting once you are near, or at the bottom, watch how your chain wraps itself around the drive crank...what fun it is trying to unravel that one on the middle of the trail.

Bottom Line:
buy a bike with these, then buy an xtr for $80, or XT, well worth it, i'd say

Favorite Trail:   Any and everything

Similar Products Used:   alivio, lx deore

Bike Setup:   1999 rockhopper a1 fs, soon to be equipped with Rock shox Sid 99 SL, xtr rear and front derailleurs, and a new seat...good times will be rollin'

Submitted by Eric B a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
It does what it's supposed to do. It derails the chain. Same exact design as LX and XT except for some minor weight difference. I'm satisfied with it.

Submitted by Felipe a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    Never had any serious problems. Minor adjustments are easy to do. I've had the same derailleur since '96. (Stock component on my bike.)

Weaknesses:    None really. STX is middle of the road. As stated in other posts, "You get what you pay for".

Bottom Line:
I have no real complaints. 5 chilis for durability and 5 chilis since I haven't had to buy another yet. I have hundreds of miles logged on the same one since '96. I just thought I might be the 77th person to post a review on this product.

Favorite Trail:   most local trails

Similar Products Used:   I can't even remember, I've had the same bike for so long.

Bike Setup:   '96 Specialized Ground Control. Still mostly stock, except Shimano SPD 626's, Bar Ends and other minor miscellaneous additions.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Strengths:
cheap; works fine

Weaknesses:
can't think of any

Bottom Line:
U guys that gave this thing a bad review must be on crack!! or have no idea how to set-up your bike. I've had mine for over 6 years and it still works fine and I've put it thru some hard riding; 3 years in New England and 3 in NC. Granted its not an XTR but u get what u pay for.

more than 3 years