Shimano SLX RD-M662-SGS Rear Derailleur Derailleur

• Stronger guide spring
  • Plate Body aluminum/painted

Submitted by Roger

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Very sturdy derailleur rd m 662 sgs complete low profile shadow technologie reliable experience shifting problem ghost shifting latent shifting ( solution make sure upper jockey pulley is never more than two inches or less from cog or cassette surface thrue out unscrew anchor bolt brought it forward tighten problem gone I also change pulleys (tasx) to sealed bearing unit with no end play
Works like a charm since it is good price reliability structure.

Weaknesses:    Mention it weight few gram perfomance durability reliability price best derailleur. Recommend change pulleys to seal bearing even greater performance $20 -25 well worth it give xtr a toss twice the price or more

Bottom Line:
By far the best for price quality sturdiness I recommend it

Submitted by extremedave a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    Shifting accuracy and speed

Weaknesses:    Not terribly light.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the decision to upgrade to the SLX. Had the Deore M592 stock, the SLX shifts quicker, more positively, and more accurately. A great deal less chain slap and noise and the shifting has dramatically improved. Downside, I did noticed some ghost shifting on a very rough downhill when on the middle ring and smaller cog. Also not much of a weight difference.
For the price and the minimal time required to swap, it's a no-brainer upgrade. Recommended.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore M592

Bike Setup:   2011 Trance X4

Submitted by rnew a Weekend Warrior from Augusta, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good and it is lighter

Weaknesses:    Delayed downshifting in one or two gears but that could just be an adjustment problem

Bottom Line:
I ruined the derailleur that came with my bike. I read the reviews on mtbr for this derailleur and went out and bought one. I thought that it would change gears smoother and quiter then the original stock alivio but there is no big difference to me. In fact, it might be slightly more finicky in the downshifting in one or two gears but that could just be an adjustment problem. But, what I have noticed, which was a huge difference and not mentioned by other reviews (about as much as going from a mountain bike tire to a road bike tire), which I did not expect, was the gain in power when I pedal. It was much easier to increase my speed or even just to maintain speed going over bumps. I imagine it is due to less friction? I don't know, but my average speed increased almost 2 miles an hour. Bottom line is that the gear changing does its job with no noticeable difference. The big difference is how it transfers power. I am only going to give it a 3 for value because for 25$, I could have gotten the same gear changing with an alivio, however the overall rating I am giving it a 5 because I love to go faster with less effort.
One more thing, I also notice that when I am in high gear there is no more slight whirring sound from the chain being stressed at an angle from the biggest sprocket and the smallest cog which again translates to less friction and more power.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Chain reaction

Bike Setup:   I just have a Connondale f9 with a few upgrades.

Submitted by mihajlo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Precise & smooth shifting, low profile, not noisy at all, strong spring.Good looking.No ghost shifting.

Bottom Line:
Great rear derailleur. Great price, great Shifting. Buy a SLX and enjoy!

Purchased At:   Micko

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Exage 300 LX, Deore LX

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Tora 318, Truvativ Blaze with Truvativ Power Spline, Shimano SLX, Sram X7, Avid BB5, Michelin Country Trail

Submitted by FNG RIDER a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Shifts are smooth, small compact design, Shadow deraileur is hidden behind the rear stay! Direct pull cable, no loop! easy to install and set up. Nice appearance.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Bent rear hanger, worn out Deore r/d, cables not so good.
SLX shifts realy nice, stronger return spring, install was very easy. I checked hanger on flat surface, it had very slight bend. Cables took beating during wet season.
I used XTR cables/housing.

Complete install in less than 1 hour, and I am a novice mechanic!

Shifts are smooth even under load. I still will make some minor adjustments at the brake lever barrel adjuster.

I really like the Shadow design! I recommend this

Favorite Trail:   all Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Summit Ski and Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Old XTR, Hone (terrible), Deore

Bike Setup:   5" Pike/Monarch, XT crank, hone frt. deraileur, Slx rear, wtb Weirwolf 2.3

Submitted by juan.gomezm a Cross Country Rider from Manizales, Colombia

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely precise, light, good looking, SHIMANO, works super good with shimano deore shifters,

Bottom Line:
Awesome component for a XC rider, as I said.. very precise and good looking.. and offcourse.. it has the new technology from Shimano,,,Shadow..

Favorite Trail:   7 Rios

Purchased At:   Bike House

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Submitted by Azkil Gomez a Weekend Warrior from Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Low profile, very nice looking, crisp clean shifts

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised how well it works!, my other bike is a full XT drivetrain,but even whit the alivio shifters 8 speed setup, I can't find a difference on performance, if you dont have the money for the XT I would say SLX is the way to go, even the dark titanium color looks great! I'm thinking on upgrading my old but reliable XT to Shadow XT just because this guy.

Favorite Trail:   medium technical trails

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   XT,LX,Deore

Bike Setup:   Haymaker 1500, Alivio shifters, Deore FD

Submitted by bikingchad a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    Accurate, low profile, unique cable routing/installation

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
There are many good things about this derailleur that caught my eye. However, of the ones already listed, the two that meant for most to me are the: direct cable routing and the low profile.

Direct cable routing adds to the precision of this derailleur but reducing the amount of slack "arc" cable sticking out the back of it. Often this can be overcome with quality shifter cable casing, but my plan was to pair this unit with a SRAM twist-shifter using the Shimano (2:1) actuation ratio so I wanted to reduce as much slack as I could. Installation was easy, but take care when installing the casing to maximize the benefit of the straight-cable design. On the upshifts, the super-strong single-spring design has no problem pulling the chain through the shifts quickly and silently.

The low profile of this derailleur is amazing. I ride where there are many switchbacks and close-quarter trees where I sometimes brush them with my shoulders as I navigate past and never have to worry about hanging the derailleur on anything.

The SLX and its snugly-fitted cable tuck away nicely beside the cassette to provide a quiet ride and effortless, accurate shifts. At this price point, there isn't anything I'd rather use.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Turkey

Purchased At:   ABAXO eBay Store

Similar Products Used:   XT/Deore/SRAM

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge

Submitted by minifreerider a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    CAN TAKE A HIT! i bashed this thing against rocks and trees, and even a lag screw (it was hanging out of a wallride and i slipped off and the slx hit the nail) and it couldn't care less. i have also hit many rocks too. shifts very very well and smooth too. very easy to clean too. and small...very small profile, hides in the chainstay. ( i said ive hit hit some rocks and stuff but i hop onto a rock and the rear wheel falls off and hits it, but i doesnt care at all)

Weaknesses:    i would like a med cage, (the store was out of med cages) the long cage bangs around a lot, and i would like just a smaller cage.

Bottom Line:
awesome get it..but if you got 30 dolla more get an xt, but i love it and you can get it very cheap too

Favorite Trail:   holdrigde

Purchased At:   sunrise bikes and bo

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr, saint, sram, x5-x0,

Bike Setup:   scott hardtail, with slx and xt parts, marrochhi dirtjumpers 3 fork, xt wheelset

Submitted by pinarlusu a Cross Country Rider from NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, light weight, good looking, shift well

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
Well, I quite like the gears in the SLX line because LX to XT has a massive gap between. SLX is the balance of both but tend to lean more on the XT side. This derailleur is quite strong as I landed on it on my third ride, with a few scratches on it but still going well without any probs. It's design is similar to the XT one which is better than the LX. It's a really good derailleur !!

Favorite Trail:   Yellowmundee