Shimano Saint Rear Derailleur Derailleur

4.16/5 (25 Reviews)

Shimano's Saint group defines super heavy-duty, and the rear derailleur is no exception. It's been designed from the ground-up to stand up to the abuse dished out by today's more aggressive riders.

Submitted by DHB a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    Looks very good

Weaknesses:    Difficult to set up, shifting problems, destroyed one through too little clearance between spokes and cage.

Bottom Line:
Replaced the XT on my Stinky Primo with this (short cage), set up and tested, on these the cage is offset slightly and can catch in the spokes (which happened to me) and totally destroyed the mech. Replace it with a Shimano 105, no problems, totally reliable and hassle free. Then bought another Saint in a shop sale, adjusted hanger to suit cage, absolute nightmare nightmare to set up, cable tension has to be spot on and it doesn't seem to like shifting under load, going back to the 105, cheaper by a long way and far more reliable and you can get 3 for the price of one Saint.

Similar Products Used:   Suntour X-1, Deore LX, XT, XTR, Alvio

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky Primo stock

Submitted by crummy bike a Cross Country Rider from LeClaire Iowa

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Strong spring and durable. Stiffened up my rear chain stays due to 10mm axle instead of QR skewer

Weaknesses:    little heavy

Bottom Line:
I was using a Shimano RD753 rapid rise derailleur with Shimano 760 shifter/brake combo. When I would try to shift to an easier gear under load it would take too long so I bought this Saint normal rise so I could pull the derailleur to the easier gear with cable. It shifts much better now to easier gears and also shifts great to harder gears due to strong return spring.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano RD753

Submitted by darbob a Cross Country Rider from Leclaire

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Very Strong and durable.Strong spring so when you release the cable it shifts immediately

Bottom Line:
I was using a Shimano RD753 rapid rise derailleur with my Shimano 760 brake/shifter combo. When I would try to shift to an easier gear under load it would take too long so I got this normal rise Saint and it shifts quickly by pulling cable and when I shift to harder gear it shifts quickly due to Saints strong spring.Great product

Similar Products Used:   Shimano rapid rise RD753

Bike Setup:   Shimano shifter/brake combo model 760

Submitted by tom a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    strong bomboproof not overly expensive

Weaknesses:    Its a pain to tune especially with the short cage version trying to the tighten the gear cable in is annoying and very fiddley and the fact that to take the rim off you have to take the deraileur off aswell is also irritating

Bottom Line:
i have never had any real problems tuning other peoples gears however when it comes to my own everything seems to go wrong its a good component on the bike but only when its tuned really well

Similar Products Used:   Deore xt sram x7 few others

Bike Setup:   iron horse yakuza kumicho 08

Submitted by michaelblade a Downhiller from Solag,Calif.

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2010

Strengths:    A beautiful bombproof mechanical piece of functional art.This is the newest version.Low profile.Shifts fine.Lighter than the older models.

Weaknesses:    Bolts into hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is a very well made mech. The profile design is the best.Look at one up close and learn the difference between mustard and babyshyte.This review is for the latest design.

Favorite Trail:   Tress Pass

Purchased At:   ABAXO

Similar Products Used:   Deore.LX.XT.XTR

Bike Setup:   2006 GT set up for FR.SLX 36/22 cranks.Big Earl whls.RF Diabolous stem and bars.XTR shifters.BB7 brakes w 60mm rotors.XT 11-30 737 cassete.M545 pedals.Marz D-Off 2 RC soon to be replaced but it is a good fork for a lighter person.

Submitted by mike_d_1583 a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    Super strong. Shifts pretty well. Through axle is way stronger than a hanger.

Weaknesses:    Just a tad on the heavy side. You need a Saint hub also which is massive.

Bottom Line:
After snapping a couple other derailleurs I decided to get this. I could tell it was strong within the first five minutes of riding. It's stiff as hell when you curb hop or log hop, where others would bang around and crap. Seems like it will last a few years.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by mini_death a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Utterly indestructible. It was on my 4X/DJ bike before it was stolen from me and it had the battle scars to prove it. Everything took a knock at one point or another and it still held together. Bit of a faf to set up, but nothing that bad.
Shifted as well as an LX, better than an X.7, not quite an XT or a X.9

Weaknesses:    Heavy, I knew that it was strapped to my rear wheel. Also used to knock against my chain stays on really uneven ground. (On a hardtail)

Bottom Line:
Solid, the thing would not break on me, and we had a lot of tumbles on flinty hardpack to solid concrete. (Bent my bloody Cro-Mo bars) Getting the new saint rear mech to put on my lightweight SS, so expect a review on how that one holds up.

Great value, due to not needing replacements, the 10mm axle was a good idea, but I think I'll stick to hangers.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Purchased At:   Buckingham Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Every top end mech made by Shimano and SRAM. (XTR, XT, LX, Deore, X.0, X.9, X.7.)

Bike Setup:   Orange Ms Isle frame, Zocchi DJ 1, Atom Lab Trailpmip (lolpmip) DHRs laced to saint hubs, saint brakes (was about to ditch the saint hubs and brakes), old saint cranks, DMR wingbars, XT shifter pod, DMR V12 Mags.

Submitted by Enosz a Cross Country Rider from Hungary

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Robust, indestructible. Shifts like a dream even if shifting under load. Precise and just keeps being tuned. YOu set it once it will hold onto it. Before I had to do this finetuning routine at the start of each season. This rocks.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Through the path of Shimano derailleurs this was the first time when I felt absolute peace in me after have it installed and tuned. No noise if set properly. Takes a bit time of finetuning, but that is the case with any positioned derailleur. If you want something that lasts and takes the blasts, this one is for you. I think the price is reasonable as well.

Favorite Trail:   Urban trooper

Purchased At:   www.nella.hu

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Deore

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8, Mavic 729disc wheels, XTR levers and discs, Saint derailleurs.

Submitted by Kyle a Racer from Utard, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Strong! Looks tough, beefy. Takes the hits. Cheap

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift great, Not great in mud. Incredibly hard to set up. Rapid Rise

Bottom Line:
This thing is tough, but has a couple weaknesses. It is great for urban stuff coz you can land on it and it won't break, or hit it from the side and it won't bend. It is hard to get set up right coz it has a breakaway feature that keeps it from bending. Plus it's rapidrise, which I just don't like. I was riding in the mud and because there is nothing to stop the derailleur body to stop from pivoting back it would pivot back and then the lower pulley would pivot above the upper pulley and get jammed in the cassette, causing the whole thing to tear up the derailleur hanger. I never thought I'd need to replace that with a Saint derailleur. I like it coz it's tough for urban stuff, and holds up well. Just don't ride in too much mud.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Deore. Unfortunately no SRAM...

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance w/ full Saint, fox 36

Submitted by luke from Detroit, MI, US

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy. Takes a hit. Fashionable.

Weaknesses:    Never shifted well AT ALL. Weak, slugish shifting from the outset. Frequent ghost shifting. HEAVY.

Bottom Line:
I had a terrible time with this product. It did not appear to be a lemon -- it just never worked well. Having changed to a Sram x7 rear derailer my bike has come alive. What a relief and a joy to take that anchor off my bike. Switching to the x7 (which cost 1/3 the saint) has been the second best improvement to my bike (behind switching to UST Kenda Nevegal tires).

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   Six inch trail bike, slack angles, made for fun times.

Submitted by Justin Mcular a Downhiller from South Lake Tahoe

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    good shifting

Weaknesses:    cage bends easily. not many ajustment features.
im not a shimano fan....go sram

Bottom Line:
get sram

Favorite Trail:   Northstar Resort

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   sram xo.

Bike Setup:   specialized demo 8

Submitted by Brandon a Downhiller from Iowa City

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2007

Strengths:    I have bashed it and thought it would be destroyed, but it comes back for more. Shifts precisely and smooth. Being from this area, it's kind of a freak. Oh, I obtained it for $30 at my bike shop

Weaknesses:    I can't carry a torque wrench with me everywhere. Other than that, I would put one of these on my road bike.

Bottom Line:
Don't be put off by someone else saying, oh man it sucks because its a pain in the butt to take off your rear wheel and all that other stuff. The rapid rise takes a few rides to get used to, too. As long as you are going to use this derailure for what it is intended, it is a great buy and addition to a gnarly rig. Spend the money on it because Shimano and Shandro and all the others that developed this gear did it right. It loves abuse.

Purchased At:   Scheel's all sports

Similar Products Used:   LX,XTR

Bike Setup:   P2, all mountain, freeride thingy. SUN Single/Double Track, TruVativ Crank, Race Face FR bb, Saint brakes, Shimano Drive train, Man. Stance flow w/20mil.

Submitted by Travis von Staden a Weekend Warrior from Lincolnt, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    durability, and tuning, as well as asthetics and precision

Weaknesses:    none yet so far

Bottom Line:
great derailer, went through alivio and xt before i went with the saint medium cage. Diffuculty finding the right hub but shifting is precise and quick. The durability is outstanding. Slid off a 3 inch skinnny and grinded the rear derailer. It stood up no problems and no adjustments afterwards

Favorite Trail:   peewee's mtb park

Purchased At:   www.beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt

Bike Setup:   kona 06 scrap, w/syncros dh hubs and rims, sram cassette, sram chain, race face 36 th chainring, mrp system 2, thomson seatpost, titec ithycas seat, hayes hfx-9 8 front, hayes sole 6 rear, shimano saint shifter and derailer, oury grips

Submitted by James a Downhiller from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Super strong, easy to set up once you figure it out.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that yes, this derailleur costs more than an XT or a LX new, BUT it will save you HUGE money if you have had problems breaking standard mountain bike derailleurs. I broke three XT derailleurs during the course of one year and decided that I needed a change. I'm not a graceful rider, I mow stuff down and crash a lot, so I figured I'd try Shimano's Saint because it was reowned for it's toughness. I have not been disappointed. My first Saint has lasted through numerous direct hits, sometimes with my full body weight landing on top of it (ie, slipping the rear wheel off of a skinny directly onto the derailleur). I replaced it with another Saint after about two years, and I look forward to abusing the new one. The shifting may not be as "crisp" as other high end shifters (SRAM X-0), but that's not nearly as important to me as reliability/durability - what good is crisp shifting if you're breaking a derailleur every four months? If you don't mind the weight and ride hard and often, this is the derailleur for you.

Favorite Trail:   2 Shieks

Purchased At:   Mountain City Cycle, Courtenay BC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   2004 Devinci 8-Flat-8

Submitted by Mike Notion a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    EVERYTHING!!! Bump Stop, Skid Plate Design, Cable Tension Saver, AXLE MOUNTING!

Weaknesses:    NOTHING, well, for anyone who loved SRAM, you can say goodbye to them... Shimano left them, and their rediculously expensive X.0 mech eating thier dust.

Bottom Line:
Gash's in the metal, Scraps, Rocks, nuclear missile hits... this mech has eaten up everything... and still continues to shift as smooth as a hot knife through butter, and as crisp as a pack of Walkers. Really does puzzle me as to how shimano did it... I have the 10mm axle version. I don't use Saint Hubs... Modified hub axle... If you can get anywhere near a workshop, or someone who works in one. Grab a Solid bit of Stainless Steel rod, 10mm diameter, Weld some kind of bolt on one end, and create a thread on the other, long enough to go through and into the Saint's. Get someone who knows thier stuff on threading to get a correct thread on the end. And just like magic........ It is worth it, good luck breaking this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Urban Freeriding