Shimano Deore XT RD-M772 Rear Derailleur Derailleur

3.12/5 (25 Reviews)

The NewShimano Shadow Rear Derailleur places priority on a low profile design for ridersThat are at home onTechnicalTrails.The derailleur has a profileThat is a full 15mm narrowerThan aTraditional rear derailleur.That means it does not protrude morethanThe quick release skewer nut.Top normal spring designTo mesh withThe more common choice of RapidFire shifters forTrail/all-mountain riding Direct cable routing reducesThe chance ofThe cable snagging on roots and rocks Stronger spring keepsThe dera

Submitted by TahoeBC

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts well

Weaknesses:    parallelogram bends way to easy, very weak

Bottom Line:
I recently went with the Shadow/clutch version primarily cause I was bending a lot of hangers in rocky terrain. Found I really dug the clutch feature also. Found it to be a very good Derailleur and had not problems setting it up and got perfect shifting from it. I might note that I was using a nine speed Sram drivetrain with a 6mm spacer on the cable attachment point, this works great.

Anyway even though it probably takes less rock hits with the shadow technology, it cannot handle a hit to a rock well at all, I killed two of these Derailleur's in a month. The parallelogram becomes so distorted it cannot be repaired. I'm now running my 6 year old SRAM XO Derailleur that I have had to replace around 5 hangers a year on, it can take a beating.

Its to bad I had high hopes for this thing, as long as your not riding very rocky terrain, you will probably be happy with it, for me I cannot afford to keep buying new Derailleur's.

Submitted by mp187regs

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2013

Strengths:    Quiet shifting, nice and light.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to setup and keep setup.

Bottom Line:
Bought this in October, and it has been a pain to keep properly setup. I attributing some of this to the new cable routing on it which on my bike required the rear shift cable housing to go in awkward loop from the rear triangle to the derailleur. I tried different length housings and two cables to no result.

At first I had trouble with it not dropping out of the big ring in the back and usually I could kick it with my back foot to get it to shift, I got that resolved. Then I always had shifting problems, I could get the bike to shift perfectly in the work stand, and would do a couples miles on the road and it would shift perfectly. On the trail it would shift fine then after a little bit I would start having problems.

I eventually got tired of it and bought a new in box older model XT deraillure and so far no shifting issues after setup.

Submitted by Alexander a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Neat design.

Weaknesses:    First time I had to read manual on order to adjust a derailleur!
I never made it to work with all 3 chainrings :/
It's either the granny or the biggest one. Or just the middle one, but not all 3.
Read FAQs forums, techtips - nada.

Bottom Line:
Good intention, but very poor design.

Submitted by Henrik B

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Precise shifting. looking good. Fairly light. Easy to adjust. Good for xc.

Weaknesses:    Not the strongest on the market

Bottom Line:
Ive had this since april 2008. Wore it out and bought a new one 3 month ago. True it is vulnarable, but i like the smoth shifting and the price tag.

Similar Products Used:   SLX and XTR in the same series.

Submitted by 2004_sj_pro a Cross Country Rider from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    None that come to mind.

Weaknesses:    Poor engineering.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely one of the worst derailleurs I've worked with. Setup on this thing took forever, and it seemed like no matter what minute adjust I made, it would go out of adjustment at some other point (e.g. slightly loosen b-tension screw to allow for quicker downshift [which i could never get to happen] and then the high/low goes way out of whack.

I honestly think this thing has been over-engineered and the result is that it has ventured into unfriendly territory as far as the end user is concerned. I can't say I'm a big fan of the sharp angle where the cable exits. Seems like a perfectly good point for the cable to get worn and eventually snap.

Normally, it has taken me about 10-20 minutes to dial in a rear derailleur, and the end result being buttery smooth shifting, up and down the range. This thing was just all over the place. Set the chain on the largest chainring, thought it was dialed in, then shifted down to the middle chainring, only to have it stick before wanting to shift up/down. Totally unpredictable, which is absolutely the last thing you want out on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Calaveras

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT derailleurs

Bike Setup:   2004 Stumpjumper Pro M4

Submitted by MTBOaxaca a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Low weight, Less likely to get hit or bend your derailleur hanger, shifts good.

Weaknesses:    Not at this time......

Bottom Line:
This is the best option at the present time for riding areas with deep ruts, rocks, and tight lines. I've had many other derailleur strikes and bent hangers using the normal non shadow design. This design works good! Some have written about shifting issues but I've had none. Get it set and it does the job fine. I'm hoping SRAM will have an option like Shimanos Shadow RD soon.....

Favorite Trail:   USA

Similar Products Used:   All other shimano non shadow style 7,8,9 speed (LX,XT,XTR) and some sram rear derailleurs.

Bike Setup:   29er HT

Submitted by wazmo a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Low profile, shifts well when adjusted

Weaknesses:    Grabs sticks, mounting arm bends easily, constantly needs re-adjustment

Bottom Line:
Does not live up to previous xt durability

Purchased At:   OEM on Kona Kula 2-9

Similar Products Used:   XTR non-shadow, SRAM x-o

Bike Setup:   kona kula 2-9, slx cranks, slx front derailleur, xt rapid fire, xt cassette

Submitted by Richard 77 a Weekend Warrior from Costa Mesa, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Shirts great. Easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    Shift cable breaks every 3 to 6 months

Bottom Line:
A buddy and I both have the same bike & set-up using the "new" shadow XT derailleur. It shifts very smoothly, but the cable breaks after about 500 miles of serious mountain biking. When doing lots of shifting. Both of us have to replace the cable every 3 to 6 months depending on how much we ride. It breaks at the rear bolt where the cable attaches to the derailleur. The cable bends very slightly back and forth while shifting (like you would do to snap a coat hanger wire). It is not a straight pull. People I know who ride up hill on varied terrain and do a lot a shifting have the problem. Don't shift a lot? Then it will probably last a long time. I have gone through 6 or 7 cables in 2 years. XTR replacement cable lasts longer than the generics I tried.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   The Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   older XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Turner 5.5 Spot, XT drive train and brake components with Hope rotors, Chris King hubs, Thompson seat post & stem. Easton Monkeylite SL bar, Mavic rims

Submitted by pburnsky a Weekend Warrior from Olney, Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Less exposed cable routing is well designed. Looks cool. Shifts nice but not as clean and fast as my old XT's.

Weaknesses:    I have been trail riding for over 25 years and this derailleur is a stick magnet. I think it is due to the vulnerable extended cable arm. I have enough experience to know when to avoid sticks and when to stop if one jams into the unit. I have both bent and broke the mounting bolt already after 3 hard rides. I'm leery of the future of this design. This maybe good for slick rock, arid climate riders but go in the woods and you WILL eventually break this part.

Bottom Line:
If I can't fix this "designed to shear" mounting bolt, I'm replacing this with a conventional XT design or maybe trying a SRAM.

Favorite Trail:   Old Props Run- Slaty Fork, WVA

Similar Products Used:   Always XT or XTR

Bike Setup:   Super lite Hardtail KLEIN Attitude Race with Fox front.

Submitted by rlock a Weekend Warrior from Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Crisp shifts, even under moderate load
Low profile avoids many hits
Direct cable routing

Weaknesses:    Weak parallelogram, easily bent

Bottom Line:
Yes it's true the low profile does reduce the number of hits the derailleur takes but I found that, when you do make that inevitable contact with a rock or log, the M772 bends much more easily than the original XT version. Instead of simply straightening your hanger you are faced with a distorted parallelogram which can never be perfectly aligned again. I've gone back to the trusty original XT version. This is unfortunate because the 772 does shift very nicely, even under moderate load.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR, SRAM X.0

Submitted by kiwi_matt a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    It has a stiffer spring and shifting is much sharper than the regular XT.
More direct cable routing.
Looks cool
Sits more in line with the frame with its lower profile

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I had the normal XT, when late last year it had a fight with a stick and lost... So I upgraded to the Shadow and have never been happier. It's setup wasn't too hard, it just required a little adjustment to the B screw. Shifting is nice and crisp as others have mentioned. Not only that, it looks cool!

I am totally happy with it and wonder why Shimano don't make it standard.

Similar Products Used:   Regular XT

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpyjumper Pro, Fox Float RL, R/S Recon 351's, Hayes Strokers.

Submitted by panzer07 a Cross Country Rider from Fremont CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    light and looks cool

Weaknesses:    NO BARREL ADJUSTER!!! Does not stay in adjustment very long and paired with XT shifters requires lots of shift pressure on thumbs.

Bottom Line:
Girlfriends bike came with this POS and it has caused a lot of grief - adjusted itself into the spokes twice now breaking spokes and ruining a chain. I know how to adjust the limit screws as I have built several bikes now but this thing does not stay in tune for very long, again the lack of barrel adjuster rears its head. Going to replace with older XT as I have on my bike and it shifts perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   TRT

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   XTR, SLX, LX, and the older XT with barrel adjuster.

Bike Setup:   08 Santa Cruz Heckler, XT drivetrain, King hubs, bottom bracket, and headset, monkey bars and seatpost.

Submitted by buzz white a Cross Country Rider from mccall, idaho

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Worked well. Reliable shifts.

Weaknesses:    The engineering on the Shadow must have been reditioned to a black ops area. The tapped and threaded derailleur screw that adusts the throw in ralation to your largest cog has less than 1mm of holding metal on one side and maybe (?) 2-2.5 mm on the other side. My snapped clean right there when a less than hardball sized rock richoceted into it. It confirmed my suspicions when putting the bike together.
Weak link.

Bottom Line:
I don't know what they were thinking but this is not the place to save a gram or even an ounce. Very poor engineering. It's on it's way to Shimano for replacement hopefully with something other than a Shadow.
Anything that leaves you stranded 12 miles from the nearest trailhead is not worthy.

Purchased At:   kona hei hei 29r

Similar Products Used:   Shimano for over 25 years, mostly XT
Campagnolo for over 40 years, all Record

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei 29r with Shimano M525 tubeless wheelset.

Submitted by Zilo a Weekend Warrior from Reno Nevada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    buttery smooth shifting, stays in adjustment longer than other derailleurs, design looks nice, lightweight

Weaknesses:    doesnt seem strong enough, its hard to adjust when it does get out of alignment

Bottom Line:
Being that this is my first "high end" shimano product, I am really impressed by the performance. I converted my single speed iron horse to a 1x9 set up and my LBS suggested that i try Shimano XT. Ive used sram for 3 years and I was a bit skeptical at first, being that ive had low end shimano derailleurs before. However, this is by far the best derailleur ive used. The shifting is buttery smooth with little effort. And it shifts accurately with no gear jumping. Very good product.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and flowy