Shimano Deore M592 Shadow Rear Derailleur

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The versatile Deore rear derailleur is now available in a Shadow version! Also found on XTR and XT, ShadowTechnology uses a lower profile, making snags on rocks, branches or anything elseThat might jump out less of a worry. Other innovationsThat found on Deore include Direct Cable Routing and singleTension construction. With Deore you can enjoy most ofThe performance found on XTR at a fraction ofThe cost. Low Profile Shadow rear derailleurTop normal design (traditionally sprung) Low profile sing

Submitted by eicca

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very low profile, fixed upper pivot reduces chain drop, wide links for durability and strong shifts, very powerful, excellent trail performance

Weaknesses:    No cage clutch: still experiences chain slap and the occasional drop

Bottom Line:
I got this derailleur for Christmas. My first impression is that this derailleur really helps you track down problems in the shifting system. If ANYTHING is even slightly off (bent hanger, sticky cable, indexing), you can feel it. That said, once I got it working, I was extremely impressed! It downshifts under load with little to no trouble and upshifts are just a quick "click" and you're in a higher gear. I replaced a Deore LX and now I experience considerably less chain drop, thanks to the fixed upper pivot (maybe once or twice a day on the trails). Excellent bang for the buck, would highly recommend to anybody looking to upgrade.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX

Submitted by Kellen Swingley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, gets the job done, doesn't require constant adjustment. Easy adjustment.

Weaknesses:    SO. MUCH. CHAIN SLAP.

Bottom Line:
This derailleur is great for the price, but doesn't belong on the mountain. Perfect for commuting. Shadow does its job at keeping a low profile. Looks cool. Durability is lacking. Being replaced immediately. Hopefully I will see better quality out of the XT version.

Bike Setup:   Trance 4X

Submitted by RSabarese a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Crisp shifting, strong derailleur (mine has several war wounds on the cage), not too heavy

Weaknesses:    The cage is long and there is no mid-cage option. Interestingly, the price seems to have be at or near MSRP as 10 speed equipment has trickled to Deore level.

Bottom Line:
I have owned many derailleurs on bikes and I specifically like this one and the SLX version. SLX is very similar in shifting, but has 1 aluminum and 1 steel side of the cage. Unless I look down, I could not tell which I was using. The shifting has been very crisp and as a result, I bought a few spares when they were onsale. I recommend it, unless SLX is the same price, then I'd get SLX.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne, NJ