Shimano Deore Front Der Derailleur

2.98/5 (50 Reviews)

This front derailleur features an innovative design which allows the same derailleur to be used for both top-pull and bottom-pull setups.

Submitted by AWDfreak a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay Area, CA (USA)

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    pretty quick shifts, significantly tougher than the Tourney

Weaknesses:    I honestly can't think of one

Bottom Line:
Shift your front derailleur without worrying if it will even shift, dependable for actual off-pavement use.

If you're tired of replacing your front derailleurs (that are sub-par of the Shimano Alivio lineup), then the Deore front derailleur is the answer.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Tourney-equivalent front derailleur

Bike Setup:   3-geared front crank, Shimano Alivio dual-control levers

Submitted by mecheng77 a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    I've been using it for 10yrs as original equipment for my 6500 Trek, and hasn't skipped a beat or should I say gear.

Bottom Line:
10 years of hard use and still working great. Made in Japan, not sure if they still are but I'm sure that is why it works so well. I clean it thoroughly once a year and apply a light coat of oil.

Similar Products Used:   Alivio

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 - SPD Pedals, Panaracer Tires

Submitted by Joe DePalma a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Shifts smoothly, solid construction

Weaknesses:    Difficult to install and a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Has shifted well under load and has taken abuse well. I haven't had to adjust it once since installing it. I don't know how it will hold up for the most competitive racers, but for medium duty trails and rough roads it's perfect.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Altus, SRAM X.3

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 - nothing stock

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    You get to upgrade it with huge benefit for little cost.

Weaknesses:    The actuation arm is very short, Your thumb will get tired. The cage is a noodle, it flexes and therefore shifts slowly as noted in previous review. Components like this are just WRONG and shouldn't be built in the first place IMO.

Bottom Line:
Go to Shimanos tech site. Look at the EV of this vs an XT or XTR. Note Deores split, stamped cage. See why its weak? Note the solid cage on an XT, it shifts solidly under load. Spend 50 bucks, get an XT. Control your chain and.. .Keep on smilin'

Favorite Trail:   twisty

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   XT XTR

Bike Setup:   Too good for this P.O.S to be sure!

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Downhiller from San Anselmo, California, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    great shifting, awesome looks.

Weaknesses:    little slow sometimes

Bottom Line:
great for the beginner to intermediate rider. not light enough for serious racing

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   sadly a cannondale f400

Submitted by LF-X a Cross Country Rider from Bergheim, Germany

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Works great.

Weaknesses:    Seems to be the dirt magnet of my bike.

Bottom Line:
After adjusting it when I got my bike it really works fine.
It collects a lot of dirt on my bike that can even make it stop working. But I don't see a need for a higher series component here.
I use them with SRAM X7 Trigger shifters.

Favorite Trail:   70% Street / 30% Trail

Purchased At:   was on bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, Shimano STX.

Bike Setup:   Reanult Sport - Team Spirit VTT

Submitted by bxxer rider a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    fast shifting

Weaknesses:    like butter when touches any thing no matter what it is

Bottom Line:
good mech, fast shifting but easy to smash up

Favorite Trail:   leckhampton daisy bank

Purchased At:   noah's ark bikes and

Similar Products Used:   some sram one forgotten modal

Bike Setup:   orange patriot fr lt, boxxer, marzocchi junior t pro fox vanilla rc

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Quite cheap for a mid-range product. Nice and shiny, looks very professional in appearance. Ridiculously simple installation, very much "fit and forget". Shifts cleanly and quickly.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found so far, apart from cycling snobs scorning me because they have XTR running gear!

Bottom Line:
For the price I don't believe you can get a better front derailleur. Easy to install, works well (even on rough trails), and shifts under load nicely. Not as bling-bling as an XTR, but I've always been a "function over form" kind of guy. Strongly recommended.

Similar Products Used:   Falcon FD, old Shimano SIS model

Bike Setup:   1997 Gemini Echo Beach, Deore XT RD, Alivio cranks/chainwheels and shifters

Submitted by Leonardo Horovitz a Cross Country Rider from Montevideo, Uruguay

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Works fine.

Weaknesses:    Developed play after 2500 km (about 1500 miles).
It still worked, but made rattling noise and didn't shift as well as when it was new. I ended up changing it for an LX.

Bottom Line:
Works. But for the little $$$ difference, if I had to buy I'd buy LX or XT.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano C050

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 2006

Submitted by milovan vukcevic a Cross Country Rider from melbourne

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    looks, shifting is good at first

Weaknesses:    afetr a while it refuses to shift under force, and you have to push the shifter lever to far in order to change it

Bottom Line:
acceptable for the price, but if your serious about riding you should save your money for deore lx which is by far the superior derailleur

Favorite Trail:   boys farm heritage walk, Lysterfield

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   deore lx, and acera

Bike Setup:   specialized epic m4, rock shox tora, x7 shifters, x-7 rear derailleur, deore xt brakes

Submitted by simon from newbury uk

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    Shifting is precise and efficient. Works well when new, still continues to work even when rattling with wear in the pivot

Weaknesses:    Very poor life. Had this for 9 months and done 2000 miles. The cage started to rattle quite soon, and inspection showed its the pivot bearing that's useless. Kept on using it as it still shifts just fine but cage is now so loose its starting to gouge the cranks.

Bottom Line:
Shifts OK but for regular use its quality of construction especially the pivot bearing, lets it down. It is cheap though.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX - much much superior in terms of longevity but similar shifting performance (good!). The LX front mech on my other bike has done far more miles and there's no sign of wear on it at all.

Bike Setup:   Giant Terago hard tail, XT cranks and rear mech. Deore shifters. Used as a daily commuting hack - 18 miles a day, mixture of road, gravel tracks and cross country.

Submitted by Albertinho a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Strengths:    Shifts properly, works when clogged in mud.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Operated with SRAM X-9 shifter, it works all the time, no tuning was necessary. I heard XT shifts easier under load, but then I just don't push the pedals hard when shifting and it works fine. Almost zero maintenance too, just clean it with a water stream and lube the pivots now and then. If I tried more expensive derailleurs maybe I'd find flaws in this one, but currently I cannot think of any :)

Favorite Trail:   Beer, climb, beer, descend, beer.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Alivio

Bike Setup:   KTM Ultra Flite 2007
Marzocchi MX Pro fork
Formula Oro K18 brakes
Deore/LX parts

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Holly Springs, NC

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2007

Strengths:    Shifts great and is at a reasonable price

Bottom Line:
This derailleur may not be the highest end but that really doesn't matter, the difference you get between many front derailleurs is weight. The width of the derailleur is about the same until you start buying 100 to 200 dollar ones. I asked the bike mechanic at my LBS if I should upgrade my derailleur he said it wouldn't make any difference, he told me that the angles of the chain cannot be changed by a derailleur, so best just to try and keep the chain as straight as you can. But I had him tune it for me
and put a XTR chain on my bike and it doesn't clink or rub at all he said the chain is much slimmer than most so you avoid the ussue of clinking and rubbing.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Sram X.7

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Warrior 3.0

Submitted by Donnie Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Included free with bike

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
I always had problems with Shimano front deraillers. I'd install them using the 1-3mm gap between the cage and big chainring, or use a penny as a spacer. But the deraillers were always way low and I had to raise them. The H limit screw also never worked on any shimano deraillers.

I recently bought a new bike for my wife. I swapped my old Deore front derailler, deore shifters, and LX rear to her new bike, and installed full SRAM X.9 with gripshift on my frame.

Well first of all, I had zero problems with my X.9 front derailler. It comes with a plastic insert to hold the derailler open in high gear so you can install it and line it up, and use a penny as a spacer. Remove the plastic spacer, install the cable, and adjust the H and L screws. The H screw actually works. You can see the screw in the derailler and it works. On the Shimanos its all sealed, you can't see the end of the H or L screw and you don't know if it's working. Also on the Shimano the H screw is on the left when it should be on the right. SRAM has is right so you don't get mixed up.

Also the shop who installed the parts on my wife's bike did it all wrong. The fornt derailler was installed way high, and it was crooked. Limit screws were wacked and the cable tension was nuts. It would shift to first chainring. I removed the derailler and repositioned it, adjsuted it properly. Again the H limit screw sis nothing so I had to turn the shifter barrel to add some cable tension to pull the derailler a bit to clear the chain in the highest gear (big front/small rear). Overall I got it to about 80% performance that I'd expect. My SRAM is at 100%. And I know what I'm doing...I would expect the average JOE bike mechanic to have many more problems than I had. Good luck having them get the system shifting to over 60% performance.
My local shop couldn't even get it right.

I'd give it a better rating, but after having used SRAM deraillers Shimano is officially canned.

One thing to keep in mind. I have Gripshift which allows me to trim the fornt derailler. If I'm in the middle chainring up front, and put the rear to either extreme you'd normally get some minor grinding ro chain rub agianst the fornt derailler. Well with gripshift you can trim it to remove the grinding. This automatically brings my shifting into the 100% performance zone I always expected but was unable to attain with Shimano.