Shimano Alivio Rear Derailleur Derailleur

3.36/5 (112 Reviews)

Shimano Alivio Rear Derallieurs are direct-attach and have an advanced light-action design. Advanced light-action design Teflon-coated bushings All are direct-attach rear derailleurs 7/8 speed Item Specifications Shifter/Rear Derailleur Shimano Largest Cog 34Teeth Chain Wrap Capacity 43Teeth

Submitted by Gary Wilson

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Everything else.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my first "quality" mountain bike to ride on some of the local trails, some of which can be a challenge, and require a lot of downshifting and upshifting......this is NOT the Derailleur for that! I am on my second one, and the very same thing happened......the hanger slipping into my spokes....could cause a lot of damage to your bike, but even more so to YOU! Beware, pay a few bucks more and be safe.

Submitted by Cenzobear a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Super reliable, shifts smoothly as anything else when properly adjusted, snappy gear changes after a few hundred miles, pretty durable.

Weaknesses:    Besides CHAIN TENSION, not much. All your friends snickering because its not X0 like they have on their full squish carbon. (Or I guess XX1 now)

Bottom Line:
It's a great deraileur when properly adjusted. Smooth and snappy. The most you'll ever need for road and trails. HOWEVER, once this little guy is thrown on some not so smooth singletrack, it's poor chain tension is really noticeable. I drop my chain ALL THE TIME. But hey for $30 I'll curb my griping. Bottom line: it's a wonderful starter piece that you can upgrade from later.

Similar Products Used:   SLX, XTR,X0, etc....

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper 29er, rockshox Reba RLT, tubeless

Submitted by Michael Ogle

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    Low cost, takes abuse and hold a tune up, did i mention cheeeeeaaaaap?

Weaknesses:    People point and mock - and that's what we should all worry about, right?

Bottom Line:
I resurrected my old hardtail with a full Alivio drive train - i have climbed over 20,000 meters of baby-head infested volcano since i installed the the set. Aside from a few clunks from the indexing i've had zero issues.
I have a full suss rig with XT and SLX gear on it, and while i do notice a difference in precision, i am not seeking a podium position so it's a non-issue. If you are a hard core trail dog who can maintain his/her own rig, this drive train is difficult to beat.

Submitted by Craig a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2012

Strengths:    As good as Deore and significantly cheaper

Weaknesses:    Brand wankers will laugh at you all the way until their X0 snaps off

Bottom Line:
I run this on my £2000 downhill rig. Yes, you read that correctly. See, I broke the previous Deore mech in a crash and needed a new one quickly, so I bought a second hand Alivio from a friend for £5, hooked it up to my SLX shifter and let rip. Now, most will say that it is terrible, and shifts by itself, slow shifts etc. ADJUSTMENTS people, you wouldn't go out riding without an allen key set, so bring a screwdriver too, and if it's playing up, mess with the screws till it stops. It's worked for me for close to a year, on a Norco Atomik DH bike. Sure it isn't a Saint, but it's not a Tourney either.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore, SRAM X9, SRAM X0, Shimano XT, Shimano Saint

Bike Setup:   2008 Norco Atomik w/ Marzocchi 888s and Fox Van shock

Submitted by Death0rGlory a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    It is cheap, stock on some low end models. Great item to learn and grow with, then dispose.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Slooow shifts to small cogs, Uncommonly easy to break

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my Fuji Nevada, snapped my hanger when the cage around the lower jockey wheel attached to my spokes. Now I need to have my rear rim trued and will be replacing/ upgrading my derailleurs. Simple answer now I understand that a $30 piece belongs on a freaking mongoose, not on a bike that climbs mountains to bomb down the rock gardens on the other side. Honestly I feel lucky that the bike was the only broken entity coming off the mountain. Then again this was my first mountain bike, so lesson learned you get what you pay for. I only find time to ride on the weekends. When I do ride, "Capt. Intensity" comes out and its climbs, rock gardens, DH and all kinds of fun. So in all fairness, I might have expected too much/ spent too little on components. Again lesson learned and this came stock on my starter bike. Light riders will enjoy everything but the slow shifts to the small cogs. Anyone else STAY AWAY or risk breaking things, i.e. components or yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh, Reading PA

Duration Product Used:   Not even 6 weeks of 30mi a day rides on the weekend

Bike Setup:   Almost Stock Fuji Nevada 3.0 29"

Submitted by this the real Derek a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Very easy to install and adjust. If you purchase the FD get some extra cable. Once installed any normal human can feel like a XC pro while adjusting on the fly.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, too long of throws. Lacks the smoothness of a Deore or Saint (read overall)

Bottom Line:
Alright, just installed this RD 2 hours ago. All I had to do was hook the cable up and every gear hit. I decided to upgrade the RD and FD after spending 11 hour on the the stock RD and FDs last Saturday fixing all the incorrectness just to adjust it 6 days later. After installing the Alivios my family is super happy with their Wal-Mart Specials. For all the haters out there, if you're installing 30$ RD's on your trek and specialized you're not a real rider, you're probably too cheap to upgrade for componets you need on real XC trails. One idea, don't buy weed for a week and spend the extra $ on deore or saint components. For people that need a good RD, FD and don't want to break the bank...buy the Alivio set.

Favorite Trail:   Dog Lake

Purchased At:   Taylors Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Deore Xt. Shimano Saint. Shimano STX (Best RD ever made)

Bike Setup:   This one was buitl for the fam. Wal-Mart Mongoose XR200. Wtb dual duty rims, shimano rapid fire shifts, serfas vermin-f rubber. PROMAX disc brakes

Submitted by SgtBaxter a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Beefy, shifts well, shifts smooth

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, not the "shadow" design of the newer RD's.

Bottom Line:
Reading some of the reviews you'd think this RD is a pile of garbage, but not so. It resurrected an old bike beautifully.

I've had zero chain slap, and often ride on rutted, muddy equestrian trails where you end up not even seeing the RD until you hose it off and this one never misses a beat. Shifts quickly enough, and has needed exactly zero adjustments since I installed it a year ago.

While I might not put it on a $900 bike, for people on a budget it's a great RD! Only a few bucks more than the Tourney series, and much much much better built. If you have an older bike you're trying to breathe some life back into, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   Hashawha/Union Mills

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by T_bone17 a Cross Country Rider from winnipeg, manitoba, canada

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    has lasted many, many thousands of miles. these miles are all on my specialized mtb and are on the road, ditch, stumps, roots, grass, dirt, rain, mud, drops, jumps, dust. I've used it since I've had my bike in early 2008, almost every day during warm months and it's been great. I have no idea where the "cheap crap" reviews are coming from. maybe user error. once set up by LBS, I've RARELY had to adjust it.

Weaknesses:    only worth while weakness, is the tension spring is not as stiff as I'd like since there is an above average amount of chain slap with this unit.

Bottom Line:
you must be really sensitive to whine about this derailleur. very durable and reliable. I should emphasize I put in the thousands of miles on per year on trails, commuting, charity rides, and general bashing around, and it has NEVER let me down. chain slap can be solved simply with a little lizard skin. no reason to change it unless you break it in a crash.

Favorite Trail:   top of the world (short but sweet, it's actually for hiking)

Bike Setup:   '07 specialized hardrock comp disc, 719d rims, xt hubs, hollowtech crankset, thompson stem and post, romin sl saddle, avid bb7 brakes, shimano clipless pedals. All Alivio shifters and derailleurs.

Submitted by irocss85 a Weekend Warrior from waterford, MICHIGAN

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    has been reliable so far. guessing couple hundred miles. maybe 40 hard trail use. still shifts into all gears. no ghost shifts.

Weaknesses:    none found? Im sure its heavy as hell, and is only 8sp.
shifts are kinds slow.

Bottom Line:
If its already on your bike, and working fine, leave it alone. when it wears out, spend the extra money on a higher line of products. Im goin 9speed since I dont have a front deraileur. thats the only reason Im replacing mine.

Favorite Trail:   tree farm

Purchased At:   came on stock GT ava

Bike Setup:   1x8 32T up front. alivio shifter. gt avalanche 3.0

Submitted by jizz a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    NONE THIS IS CRAP! o Strengths only lasts for 2 monthss

Weaknesses:    WEAKNESS IS EVERYTHING Stars from the 2nd month until it will break

Bottom Line:
don't waste money on this! add 10 or less and you get a slx or lx!

Favorite Trail:   xc/dh/dj

Similar Products Used:   tourney

Bike Setup:   Schwinn mora, stock everything except derailleurs

Submitted by dirttrail a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    inexpensive, reliable, dependable

Weaknesses:    None for the price

Bottom Line:
Was shifting beautiful untill after going through a few hard rainfalls. thought it was the derailleur because of the bad reviews and was ready to upgrade. but the lbs tech found it was just that moisture got into the cable housing causing some rust issues. got it fixed and now everything good as it was. it even took a couple hard hits since then and still stayed true. Not the best but, it is dependable.

Bike Setup:   XCR

Submitted by davesbike2 a Cross Country Rider from Detroit Area

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Decent entry level unit. Not great, call it serviceable.

Weaknesses:    Again, not great just serviceable. Not the most responsive, but has held up thus far.

Bottom Line:
This will keep you going until you decide (or have the scrath) to get a higher grade model. Not the fastest or most crisp shifter, and I imagine (if it matters) it might be a little heavy. I've always like the Shimano stuff, not the sexiest when at the trailhead, but their parts has always gotten me in and out of the woods. If you are a real hardcore rider or racer, you may want the higher end XT/XTR stuff. But for now this is just OK.

Favorite Trail:   (Mostly Ride) Island Lake

Purchased At:   OEM on Trek 4300 Dis

Similar Products Used:   Used different LX&XT ders. over the years, and have always been reliable.

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek 4300 Disc. Few minor mods so far.

Submitted by simpsonsguy a Weekend Warrior from Ledbetter, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    It makes a good paperweight if you take it off the bike.

Weaknesses:    The Alivio rear deraillueur is the worst piece of crap I have ever seen from Shimano. It won't stay in adjustment for more than an hour of heavy riding. Any heavy uphill use will crap the thing out and possibly make the rider crash. Mine was twisted like a curly fry the last time I saw it.

Bottom Line:
If you see a bike for sale with any of this product line on it, run the other way. If you still love the bike and want to buy it, be ready to replace some stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Land Between The Lakes in West KY

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   "Shimano Altus" This was the replacement rear derailleur I bought and it seems to be ok.

Bike Setup:   Just a run of the mill hard tail with a cheap setup.

Submitted by hihi a Weekend Warrior from saskatoon sk canada

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    quick quick and quiet shifts

Bottom Line:
good brakes

Favorite Trail:   all