Shimano Acera x Derailleur

2.65/5 (104 Reviews)

The Shimano Acera FD-M360 Front Derailleur delivers the responsive feeling of a serious mountain bike to casual riders and entry-level cyclists. It is 8-speed and wide-link compatible which reduces shifting effort and increases rigidity with a multi-clamp

Submitted by cassava a Weekend Warrior from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2012

Strengths:    fair. good enough for a weekend warrior XC rider like me

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've been going with this derailleur since 2010. I use the M-360 so far it's ok for my riding style. I do some commuting ride and in the weekend I go to the trail for doing some XC ride.

For typical of the trail in my place. The track become muddy during the rainy season. I run my bike over a muddy terrain while my RD was covered with some mud. Still it could working well in such condition but I'd like to stay on the largest cassette and run the lower gear on front. I don't want to give it more tense while preventing it to be broken.

This RD is easy to maintain. I spray it with chainwax, checking its cable adjuster and sometime overhaul it in order to make it on best condition.

Favorite Trail:   JPG, LR, JJ

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Tourney TZ

Bike Setup:   C-ONE frame and Shimano non series parts.

Submitted by AWDfreak a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay Area, CA (USA)

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Somewhat slow shifts, weak

Bottom Line:
It came stock on my 2006 TREK 3900.

It is not great.

It was clearly designed for those who ride both on and off pavement, but with not enough durability for the adventurous and those who ride in muddy conditions.

Best for those who ride every week or two on and off pavement, but nothing really crazy. Not a derailleur I trust.

Similar Products Used:   crappy Shimano Altus, Shimano Deore, Shimano Deore XT

Bike Setup:   8-speed cassette

Submitted by apellegrino81 a Cross Country Rider from New Haven Ct

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very few besides price

Weaknesses:    Everything. Stamped steel crap construction. Weak pivot points. Clamp is so much lower than cage that this FD is not usable on many frame designs. No matter how much adjustment i made I could not get this FD to stop rubbing because of the clamp placement.

Bottom Line:
Just drop the extra 10 bucks and get an LX FD.

Favorite Trail:   The Mill

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   All levels of Shimano derailleurs

Bike Setup:   FS XC ride for my wife.

Submitted by dietz31684 a Weekend Warrior from harrisburg, pa

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    This thing is great for the low price. If you are riding everyday then you are probably not looking at these reviews. It is great for a weekend trail shredder and does its job.

Weaknesses:    Will occasionally skip on some heavy rocky stuff.

Bottom Line:
If I were putting my own bike together I would opt for a step up in the line. Mine has not failed me, but I am not crazy about the plastic in the design. Can not knock it since it came stock and is still kicking, but spend the extra $20 or $30 and do right the first time.

Favorite Trail:   swatara

Purchased At:   cam on bike

Similar Products Used:   same on previous bike

Bike Setup:   '05 hardrock comp

Submitted by mcgreivey a Weekend Warrior from North Bergen, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    Shifts great. Never any problems with it. I;ve used various shifters with it, and in 7 years, I've only had to adjust it a couple times.

Weaknesses:    Only one weakness: hex anchor nut is a pain. I carry a wrench on long rides, just in case. It should have an allen bolt anchor, so I could just use my multi-tool, if I had to. This is a PITA, but it's the only thing I don't like about it.

Bottom Line:
I've used three kinds of friction shifters, and now a different set of Shimano indexed shifters, and this derailleur has worked perfectly the whole time, with no problems, and only minimal adjustment. I ride almost exclusively on the road, so it's possible it won't stand up to the tortures of trail use--I don't know. But in my experience, it's great.

Purchased At:   Came with bike when

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, 8-speed, Shimano trigger shifters

Submitted by Geerhard a Weekend Warrior from Wolvertem

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    everithing

Weaknesses:    bad reputation wich is NOT

Bottom Line:
fast, good and releable shifting

Similar Products Used:   deore, xt

Submitted by gianni a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Front and rear derailleur. Came with bike (Kona Blast). I first thought to replace them right away. But after taking the bike for a spin I was surprised how quick, fast and smooth they worked.

Bottom line - they shift, and shift, and shift and shift since tree years now - never a problem.

I crashed the bike different times, R/D has been hit, scratched, bent, bent back etc. - they still work like the first day.

Considering the price point you can get these i.e. dirt cheap, the performance is amazing.

Weaknesses:    - weight
- not the best if you ride a lot in muddy terrain as seals, bearings etc. are evidently not of the quality as Deore and especially LX, SX or XT etc.
- 8 instead of 9 gears = spacing of the gears, especially the jumps in 6, 7 and 8, can be a bit wide in certain situations compared to 9 speed

Bottom Line:
Sturdy, don't seem to wanna break, exeptionally good value considering how cheap you can get them and if you ride trails, fire roads etc. in dry conditions or use the bike to commute, in the city etc. in the first place.

Purchased At:   LBS - came with bike

Similar Products Used:   XT, SX, LX, Deore etc.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by pipexp a Cross Country Rider from Temuco, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Shift well, and very smooth when is perfect tuned. Very strong.

Weaknesses:    It ugly design

Bottom Line:
Despite it desing, i used it xc and rally races and never fail me, clearly must good tuned and oliled. It can used recreacional rides and easy xc races.

Similar Products Used:   Deore , alivio

Submitted by lonegunmen a Downhiller from Oak Ridge Tennessee

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    its alright if youre just going to ride, but if you plan to drop or jump any i would reccomend spending just a little more money for a better one

Weaknesses:    it bends too easy i dropped down like a 8 stair and it bent into the spokes

Bottom Line:
if youre just crusing its ok, but i would suggest an upgrade if you can afford it. its worth it

Favorite Trail:   any whare

Purchased At:   ETO

Bike Setup:   scott voltage YZ2 stock

Submitted by preludedriven a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, Comes with most entry level bikes. Chain never jumps out of gear. Stays in tune better than my friend's Alivio!

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Seems to need frequent retuning

Bottom Line:
As others have stated, upgrade this part if you get the chance. The Acera is a heavy, entry level part, but will work if it's tuned right.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Came with Iron Horse

Bike Setup:   2007 Iron Horse Maverick, 08 RockShox Recon Race

Submitted by AScott_user a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Rather reliable. Even after smashing it gently against a rock which resulted in deep scratches on the plastic body, its still working as it should be.

Weaknesses:    Plenty. This rear dee will result in gear jumping and gear skipping, sometimes even the gear comes off from the lowest (granny) gear, which result in stucked chain. Going uphill hence proves a real challenge. Flops badly when going offroad, which might result in it being 'sucked' into your wheel spokes.

Bottom Line:
Its a reliable workhorse for normal users such as recreational use, but dont get this piece of crap for offroad use. It doesn't belong to the world of offroad.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   2008 Scott Aspect 55

Submitted by diamondback_hardtail a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    I could go on for days...Once used for awhile it starts rapidly deteriorating which means uphills with hard pedaling and it starts skipping, jumping gears.

Bottom Line:
Its fine to use if it came on a complete bike that you bought, but I would upgrade asap. I would NEVER recommend buying this derailleur as a separate piece, its not worth the plastic its made out of.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Submitted by ironbirdexplorer a Weekend Warrior from New Brunswick Canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Works well when tuned up

Weaknesses:    Needs Tuning often

Bottom Line:
I was in a situation this summer where the bike was my only transport and a large part of my recreation. I used it probably harder than I should have, especially over the past few weeks on my holidays. Bottom line, I took a fairly hefty stick through my wheel trying to negotiate a...um....uggh, yeah...I'll call it a trail for lack of a better term. It bent the rear derailleur such that I couldn't gear down to 1-1 without it interfering with my spokes. I gave it a bit of a tug to straighten it out. It seemed to work, but the next day it snapped right off where it connects to the seat stay. Luckily, it was only the second last day of my holidays. I think I'm going to upgrade, seeing that I'm getting a little more into the harder off-road stuff.
The Acera rear derailleur is definitely more for the commuter than the off-roader.

Favorite Trail:   TransCanada Trail

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Sport

Submitted by acid470 a Cross Country Rider from Tyler, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    Good on pavement for average commuting

Weaknesses:    Just About Everything....it doesnt pull the chain tight enough, it needss to be tuned often, almost everyday, jumps gears when taken over rough terrain, bearings wear fast, bracket bends easily

Bottom Line:
DO NOT purchase this product if you ever plan on going off pavement or even riding hard on pavement. If you purchase a bike with this part, which unfortunately most bikes undr 750 dollars come with this equipment, then you may wanna look at least at an alivio or deore setup soon afterwards

Favorite Trail:   The "Great" Country Of Iraq