Paul Components Front Derailleur Derailleur

2.43/5 (28 Reviews)

Paul Front Derailleur

Submitted by Michael Glasgow a Cross Country Rider from Bloomington

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Rare and Beautiful. Cost 3 times as much as an XTR and works 1/2 as good. Every sport needs its elite parts that take alot of tinkering, look at the car world.

Bottom Line:
Hey,
I still want one of these, front or rear, broken or not. I need some parts so let me know what you have. Call me at 1-812-606-5249 or email me smglasbiker@hotmail.com.
Thanks!

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Rock, Sedona

Purchased At:   Here

Submitted by Snowbird a Racer from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2007

Strengths:    I can say I'm the only one riding them in my neighborhood

Weaknesses:    I can also say I'm an idiot for paying for this piece of $hit.

Bottom Line:
Utter waste of money. My LX works better than this piece of junk and I can buy 8 of them for that price. Check out the reviews here. See a pattern? Too bad I can only give 1 chilli. Even that's too generous. Paul, you need to find another line of work.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, SRAM

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz

Submitted by Anthony Paz a Cross Country Rider from Ramona CA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome engineering, completely disassemble, looks Bad Ass, made in USA, works well when dialed in

Weaknesses:    Super finiky, adjustments can take some time on the rear, front has always worked perfect, rear needs a stiffer spring or you can push a little extra on your thumb shifter.

Bottom Line:
I have owned and used these Frnt and Rr Derailleurs for over 12 years now. I wouldn't sell them for a $1000. Everywhere I go people drool with awe because they are rare and beautiful peices of art. Yes the rear, for me, can be finiky when dialing in but when its set, its good. The front has been perfect since day 1. I will sacrifice and push the thumb shifter a little extra when shifting to keep this set running. I love them. Everyone has shimano or scram. Be different. Be true to what you enjoy. I like performance but astetics and functionality are important to me as well. Its too bad Paul couldn't continue building these.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, Stn Mtn

Purchased At:   Some Bike Str in PQ

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Zaskar LE, Crossmax, Red anodized Paul Frnt and Rr Derailleurs, SID worldcup, syncros everywhere, light XCountry Rig, climbs and Hauls Ass

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Strengths:    Nice to have top or bottom pull. Simple, elegant design- good engineering.

Weaknesses:    Cranky set-up, gotta have those big rings with RAMPS`

Bottom Line:
Rode this thing almost all the way across Australia. Had to tweak it a bit: I was using drop bars and STI (those'r roadie shifters, mud puppies). I had to file a little groove in the pull arm on the close side of the pivot to get them to work, but it was pretty easy. I like the little bugger. Now that I'm home, back to the mud farm, it works just fine with the XT rabidfire stuff. The cage isn't quite the right shape for the big ring I'm running, but it works fine. The world isn't perfect, and I don't race anyway.
Although I understand that a small, independent business can't compete with a megacorp who has their stuff built at slave labor prices, the price is kind of daunting - even though I bought it used on E-bay (for about the price of a used XTR). Comes with parts to fit lots of seat tube sizes, top or bottom pull. (I didn't have the instructions - but it was a fun little puzzle - no worries).
Sigh.
Buy it if you just gotta be different. Do you drive a Lada?
Citroen? Saab? Vauxhill? This may be your derailleur.
It'll work. Probably for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Flume,Cohoe beach, Res

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Microsoft (Shimano)

Bike Setup:   Pisgah with drop bars and racks

Submitted by WILL a Cross-Country Rider from LAKE TAHOE, NEVADA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Strengths:
DECENT SHIFTING, ON PAR WITH XTR. GREAT MACHINING THROUGHOUT, HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE.

Weaknesses:
HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE- WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS TO DIAL IT IN. SPRING TENSION IS A LITTLE BIT TOO LOW. STOCK SPRING SHOULD BE REPLACED

Bottom Line:
WORKS WONDERFULLY- ONCE IT IS DIALED IN. THIS TOOK ME SO MANY FRUSTRATING HOURS TO DO, I ALMOST SCRAPPED IT. ONCE TUNED I LOVED IT. I HAVE HAD IT FOR QUITE SOME TIME, AND HAVE HAD NO SHOPWORK TO DO ON IT, SAVE FOR CABLE CHANGES. NOW I LOVE IT. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SHIMANO. PS. IT WIRKS PHENOMANALLY WITH GRIPSHIFT.

JEDI'S VORTEX

2 Years

WHITE INDUSTRIES FRONT DERAILLEUR, XTR,XT, ETC.

MERLIN, SID, ESP9.0 SETUP

Submitted by ricky martin a Weekend Warrior from latin america

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Strengths:
it has everything a derailleur needs and more. it shifts perfectly and is the greatest thing ever made. 200% better than XTR, or any other shimano junk made.

Weaknesses:
your joking right? there are no weaknesses!!!! its the best thing made.

Bottom Line:
Buy this jem NOW. it is worth the $105 dollars i paid for it. be smart like me and never buy junky shimano components again.

ghost town trail

more than 3 years

shimano XTR, XT, stx, acera

trek 8000 Rock shox

Submitted by cosmic ray a Cross-Country Rider from flagstaff, az

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1999

Strengths:
shifts good, looks cool

Weaknesses:
way spendy,no parts available

Bottom Line:
Shifts ok if set up right. Too expensive, but bought it on Pauls promise that it would be rebuild-able with parts forever. I broke the cage, called Paul for a replacement and was told tough luck, no more parts. Paul sucks. XT rules.

little bear, flagstaff

more than 3 years

XT, XTR

merlin/rockshox

Submitted by M. Lounsbury a Cross-Country Rider from Norwich,CT

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
Made in USA. Top notch machining.Works great w/ Grip Shift (I hope).

Weaknesses:
Alot of trash talk on this site. ??? Bought it for $50.00 (could be a clue considering the $100.oo plus retail.) Haven't used it yet on my M.Cycle CSX(waiting for my RF Next Crank Set ?????). Oh boy.????

Bottom Line:
The bottom line......... Good question. When I get the RF Next Crank Set I'll let you know......... But then again there's a sale at a certain retail shop , selling Precision Billet front for fifty US. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say credit cod? RATING: ?????????????

da muffin

less than 1 month

Japanese XT, relatively cheap, does granney to middle and visa versa very well but won't do big Race Face ring.

The CSX is waiting for da RF Next Crank (those Canadians, oye).Set up with a shwing for 1 1/8 bottom pull cabled w/ flak jackets to GS plasmas. ????? The XT has been kickin it on the middle and inner of a 1996 Raleigh M800 (don't laugh, da frame is da bomb, raced to a 7th place in 1997 and still no cracks in the welds).

Submitted by Michael Glasgow a racer from Purdue University

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

i want one, preferably black. Mike @ 1-765-743-3506, 10am-7pm mon-fri. i want it for my commuter bike. i am a mechanic and will modify it to work if necessary. don't laugh i've been running suntour since 95 on the commuter.

Submitted by Ben a cross-country rider from ghetto (south side)

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a brand-new rasta paul rear powerglide at the Trexlertown Velodrome flea market three weeks ago. I replaced my XT with it on my Jamis (mainly because it's the coolest-looking rear mech ever and, of course, looks is all that matters, right?). It took some adjustment and shifted okay (i guess), but I think the XT probably shifted better. Really slow shifts and sometimes required a little pressure on the shifter lever to get it into the next cog. Mind you, I had the mech set on the middle spring tension--it might have done better on the highest setting. I also used it with XT rapidfire (rapidfailure) and I've heard it really only works well with Gripshift. Now, you've probably noticed I've been talking about it in the past tense. Welp, that's because during a nite ride last w/e I bailed and the break-away bolt on the mech busted. Upon inspection of the busted Al bolt, I noticed it's like any other break-away bolt only it's drilled out in the middle to allow for an allen wrench... that's f__king smart. There was practically no metal holding the goddam derailluer on, and what little metal there was on the bolt was aluminum... I wouldn't mind half as much if the bolt hole was compatible with shimano or other bolts, but now if I want to replace it, I'm probably gonna have to spend $9,000,000 and wait thirty years for a replacement from paul...
I give the derailleur two flaming turds and that's assuming the price is $30 (what I paid), not the $225 list or whatever the f__k he expects you to shell out...

Submitted by B.A. a cross-country rider from Crown Point

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I traded an XTR derailleur that didn't fit my new frameset for this derailleur so I guess I couldn't go wrong. When I first installed it I quickly agreed with every bad thing said about these things. The shifting from middle to large ring was impossible untill I installed a Real large ring to go along with my Real middle ring. With a combination of excellently ramped chainrings and a lot of setup patience I finally got it shifting right. On the plus side, making a derailleur that will work in top or botton pull and any size mounting is great. Of course I'm saying all this without having to pay the $150+ they're asking for this thing. If Paul would put the same work into the cage design as the rest of it this derailleur could be excellent. 5 chillis for mounting and top/botom pull feature, 1 chilli for performance, and -1 chilli for price.

Submitted by john a cross-country rider from waterloo,ne

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had both front and rear. Where to begin. Ah,the front piece of *#&%, never could get the damn thing to work right. Found it to be very tempermental with resect to upshift or down shift. Deepnding on how dialed my adjustment it would only do one or the other from the middle ring.
The rear was very stiff and difficult to upshift. I think it was just as big a pain in the ass as the front. Lots of money to spend on crap when I would have had more ride time and less repair/tweak time buying ALTUS.

Submitted by scammed a cross-country rider from wa

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

This thing should be placed right next to the edsel. Better yet, they should have the Edsel run this damn thing over. Maybe it will shift better then. I have been a mechanic for over ten year and this is the worse der around. Ever. PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! Since I can't give this thing a negative chili I give this der one smoking piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by jesus a weekend warrior from widbey is wa

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

crap for big money wanna bee dirt phallus give me north shore proof shim ode to mud ,roots,rocks and barleywinos. best f der yet shim dx havn't broke or wore one yet . thank shimano my moantian bikin feind. would like to se a front der that is us version ov shim or sutour copy copy copy if they can we can too

Submitted by Rotten Rob a racer from idaho

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have both front and rear Paul derailleurs, The rear works well, the front does not shift from the middle to the small very well, especially going uphill. This product came with my bike and I would not reccommend buying it. I rode 14
races with the product and reccommend Shimano or Grip Shift.

Front derailleur for Wildcard?

I have a 2009 Wildcard and was wondering if anyone knew what type of front derailleur to run for a 2x10 setup? A high or low clamp front derailleur? I've looked on the forums and Banshee website and haven't found any specifics. Thanks to anyone who can fill me in.Read More »

Shorter Front Derailleur for 2002 Specialized Enduro Expert

we were gifted a nice older 2002 to 2004 Specialized Enduro Expert FS bike today. It needs a front derailleur. The guy I got it from says it needs like a short stack or low profile type front derailleur. Can anyone point me in the right direction for something not to high end on the price scale. ... Read More »

New 2013 Trek Marlin with Sis crank and front derailleur?!

I was about to purchase a new 2013 Trek Marlin and just noticed that the crank and front derailleur were Shimano SIS instead of Shimano Altus. Anyone with the same experience? should I be worried about it? I'm thinking of not purchasing it unless they replace it with the right components. Sent f ... Read More »

Front derailleur on ss?

I have a azonic ds2 frame and was told I can not mount a front derailleur on it. Why not? Is it not as simple as clamping the right size front derailleur on there?Read More »

Spitfire V2 front derailleur?

Hi, Building up new Spitty V2s for me and my girlfriend and ran into some clearance issues with a Shimano XT E-type front mech. The rear of the cage has to be sanded down a couple of mm's to clear the upright on the swingarm it seems. Can anybody tell me any front deraillers that fit without m ... Read More »