Gripshift ESP900 Derailleur

3.93/5 (45 Reviews)

Gripshift ESP900

Submitted by Joakim Prestmo a Racer from Norway

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    It's ligther, faster and easyer than shimano. And works just as good.

Weaknesses:    None so far. And I guess there will be no problems in to the future.

Bottom Line:
I see no resons too use shimano XT or XTR, when SRAM 9.0 is way better. Run to the store and buy it.

Similar Products Used:   XT, STX-rc, Nexave, XTR.

Bike Setup:   GT avalanch le.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Strengths:    Very very light, very very sexy, very very very good at changing gear (lest we forget what this is about). easy to set up and look after.

Weaknesses:    It seems to attract bad reviews from people that fail to understand the product before they purchase it. ESP 9.0 (1999/2000) has no weakness.

Bottom Line:
This new SRAM stuff is very very very good. No dispute.
Sure you can't mix and match with the big S because of the new actuation ratio. Mix and match sucks anyway, people only do it to look like they really know it all, but in the end you are only throwing away the intergrated performance that SRAM or big S or whoever have tried to create. Big S stuff is strong and the XTR is pretty faultless, I know, I have miles on it, but the SRAM is lighter, faster, more positive, I doubt I will go back, ever. The prices are pretty high though, only time will tell if it can truly last like an XTR, but these days we either smash it up on a rock (nothing survives that, at any price), or decide we like the new version before anything actually wears out anyway, so who are we kidding? Everybody should consider SRAM, there is now a genuine alternative to big S.

Similar Products Used:   full XTR rapidfire for years and years

Bike Setup:   99 Sunn Urge UN, 99 Z2 BAM Light forks, Arch Rival 50's, ESP 9.0 mechs, shifters + brake levers, Race Face cranks, Syncros, Flite, XTR spuds...

Submitted by Rob Gibbons a Cross Country Rider from NH-USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2000

Strengths:    Easy tuning, crisp shifts

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I have found the gripshift to be an overall better product than shimano. I've had it for 1 year and still luv. I beat on it 2. Still shifts real crisp and is easy to tune. If you buy last year's model you'll save a lot of money.

Favorite Trail:   Massabesic

Similar Products Used:   shimano shifters

Bike Setup:   gripshift esp9 and xt from cranks and rings

Submitted by kabby hong a Cross Country Rider from parker, co 80134

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    strength, reliability, performance

Bottom Line:
I want to preface my review by saying that in all the years that I have been riding I have never had a product let me down as much as this derailler. I was on a very long and isolated ride when I heard a crunch sound and my chain suddenly suffered massive failure. I looked down and saw that the SRAM derailler had sheared off right in the middle leaving me completely stranded. I was more than 10 miles from town and my only path home was to backtrack three miles down the trail and hopefully hitchhike the rest of the way. Three hours later I finally made it. I went to my local bike shop and I showed them the defective derailler and the mechanic said that in 10 years he's never seen a derailler fail right in the middle!! I sent SRAM and email about my situation so I have yet to hear back from them. I can't say whether all SRAM deraillers are as defective as the one I received but my experience was a nightmare.

Favorite Trail:   walker ranch

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed, Atom Bomb, XTR, Chris King headset

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Cincinati, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    Light, US made, Plastic. ESP is easier to use than rapidfire, cheaper, and is more durable. I would use only Gripshift on a downhill bike.

Weaknesses:    MUD. Unless you wear gloves, don't expect to shift in the mud. If you do wear gloves, go at it!

Bottom Line:
The system is the best if you wear gloves or stay out of the mud. Otherwise, I would recommend a Rapidfire based system. When talking to Sram, they deny that there is a problem, so they may never fix it.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Thomas

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Moho with ESP 9.0 system mixed with LX and Stainless, Gore and Teflon cables

Bontrager RaceLite with newer ESP 9.0 SL system, mixed with chichi parts. Stainless and Teflon cables

Submitted by spencer fetrow a Cross Country Rider from york pa (fat capital of the world)

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    light and just as good as xtr. they shift fast too. if you love gripshift its the only way to go.

Weaknesses:    my rear dr. got a nice size chiped off from a tree i think..might have been a rock

Bottom Line:
bottom line? these things are great, i wouldnt trade them for the world.if u havent tryed them your missing out!

Favorite Trail:   lake Redman trail 5- 6

Similar Products Used:   xt, alivo

Bike Setup:   cadd 3 w/ fatty D. sun rims,xt crank, wild gripper, and sram 900 shifters and rear dr. pluse xt front dr.

Submitted by Rob Zing a Cross Country Rider from MS

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    Fast, flawless shifting. Fatter plastic knuckles for 2000 may be more durable than older models. Weird alien looking shape. Integrated "slideamajig" gives straight-in cable routing.

Weaknesses:    Incompatable with the rest of the world.

Bottom Line:
If you like twist-shifting, this is the way to go. I messed around for 4 years with old GripShift 800's and XT rear deraileurs, and while I could get it to shift pretty well, things were never as snappy as friends with full Shimano or full SRAM systems. Then my 800's cracked last month (surprise!), and I bit the bullet. 150 miles later, I don't regret it -- these pups work.

Durability has reportedly been a problem on SRAM rear deraileurs in the past. For 2000, they have these BIG FAT knuckles on the 9.0 & 7.0 models (the 9.0SL stayed about the same). Guess I'll find out how tough it really is.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Springs

Similar Products Used:   GripShift 800 & XT rear der; full LX set-up

Bike Setup:   Y-22 w/Fox Alps 4

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2000

Strengths:    Works like a charme with GORE cables, even if completely covered with mud. Almost never needs readjustment and is really accurate...

Weaknesses:    Have broken 3 of them already. The carbon plastic material seems to be too weak to hold the two aluminum parts in place when shifting under extreme power. Although this happened for 3 times, I was always able to ride the bike home (or to the finish line). SRAM replaced every single derailer without any problems...
If you want to use this derailer with cannondale Raven or Super-Vee's, you might experience difficulty when taking out the rear wheel, as the drop-outs on these bikes do not allow for bending the derailer as far back as on other bikes. This is necessary, because this derailers top wheel reaches further towards the front of the bike than others.
I fixed it by removing some aluminum from my drop out, so I can now turn the derailer really far back and up...

Bottom Line:
If you have a good dealer around who would send the broken unit in and meanwhile give you a new one...go for it. It works great...if they had made it only a little bit stronger!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, Sachs Plasma (excellent!!)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Raven, Mavic Crossmax, ESP 9.0, Fatty 70, Magura Raceline brakes, Steinbach seatpost and cranks, Tune bottom bracket, Azonic handlebars, Specialized Dirt Master/Control Team tires, Selle Italia Flite evolution saddle...

Submitted by Kent Stevens a Weekend Warrior from Caledonia, MI

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Strengths:
beautiful finish
sharp looking
quickest shifting I know
reliable
Just overall made it a better bike

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
A very good, reliable piece of equipement that makes your ride that much better. I would suggest it to anyone who is looking for a good upgrade. My 7.0 broke so i took it back to the dealership, and they ordered me up the newest version, and gave it to me. Excellent people, and I will never go back

Deeplake, Yankee Springs

2 Years

ESP7.0

deore LX drivetrain with the schwinn S95.3

Submitted by Doug Cole a weekend warrior from San Fran

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've found this product to be very reliable. I've taken mine on some epique rides, and it still works like new. Much better than the weak ass Shimano stuff I've tried.

Submitted by Ben Winchell a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have been using ESP 9.0 for three months now, an it is still in great shape. The shifting action is still crisp and clean. The grips on the shifters are very comfortable. Being a GS type of rider, I am glad that Srams dedicated works so much better than an XTR/GS 800 system.Very nice

Submitted by G Panther a cross-country rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I Don't own the 900. I do own the 700. It is great!. It shifts as good as an XT set-up, but I don't have to adjust it every couple of rides. With about 1000 miles on the rear, it still shifts great(it is begining to get a bit 'loose' though in the pivots). I ride with 'bretheren' who do have 900 product and they all concour that it is the greatest. I will replace this with 900, and hand down the 700 to my young'ins.

Submitted by NBodman a downhiller from MA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had an ESP 9.0 shifter/deraileur set for about three weeks. The I went off a drop while in the middle ring in the front, and around the middle in the back (meaning I had good chain tension and chain line), and when I landed the deraileur broke clean in half, then sucked into my spokes and ruined the best wheel I have aver owned or ridden (Ringle w/217 cd rims). It also bent my drop-out on my Intense and killed my brand new $35 sachs chain. ESP stuff shifts nice and is all well and good if you never go off the road with it, but it can't stand up for any kind of abuse - they suck buy Shimano.

Submitted by sean a cross-country rider from usa

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the 97' ESP 9.0 set. I Really screwed up when I installed them because I tried to set them up like Showmano crap and they didn't shift well. Then I met up with a Sram service Tech at a race. After some chuckling he asked if it was OK for him to redo my shifters. Does a bear...of course.!! After stripping off the Rola-ma-jig, and Brake cable housing he hooked me up with new cables, Housing, and new cogs.. For free!!! once he was done (about 15 minutes)I experienced the best shifting known to the human race!!
They got a customer for life!!
I put 1500 miles on that derailier last year. 400 this year.
Mud, Snow, sand, sand&mud, pine needles & mud, Moose crap ETC.!! Simply Flawless!! always shifted Right. EEEvery time.
Then it happened......
Nice cross-up table top..Landed right on the derailier at about 20 mph.
OOps! dead!
Well, I Emailed Sram and told them about it.
I didn't even have to lie to them.
They replaced it free of charge even though I told them straight up that I thrashed it!
Awsome!!
Try getting that out of Shitmano!!!
They got a customer for life!!

Submitted by ray a cross-country rider from baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought a 9.0 system it always works very well. However last week layed my bike over at a very slow speed and broke one of the alloy parallel bars. Have talked to grip shift who would'nt repair or give me new pieces, stated they would not deal with me, and to see a shop. My local shop said the individual pieces were not availiable. Have talked to several places nashbar/frankfort and none will sell the derailleur by itself.
Works great, but not very strong, and support is nill.