Specialized S-Works Carbon Cranksets

• Fits Specialized frames with oversized bottom bracket shell
  • Fast and smooth shifting S-Works chainrings

Submitted by Dude Green a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Frame stiffness and handling

Weaknesses:    Wheels suck for strong rider
crank set creaking

Bottom Line:
Love the bike. The wheels that came on Tarmac SL3 were no good for me , broke spokes at 300 miles and after it was fixed, I broke another after 70 miles. These were the Roval Fusee SL. They let me trade for the Roval Rapid SL 45 carbon wheels for $425, they are in the mail so I haven't had a chance to try them yet, I hope they hold up after all the money I have spent and the time back & forth to the bike shop. I am 210 lbs and have trouble breaking spokes on back wheel.
Another issue is the crank set is creaking. My bike shop mechanic has been great at trying to get wheels exchanged and working on creaking problem. So far no luck with creaking. What a hassel for me and the bike shop. But I still love the bike over all. The frame is really stiff and I feel like most of my power is transfered to the road.

Duration Product Used:   Specialzed

Purchased At:   Victory Bike Kokomo

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5500 carbon Dura-Ace

Bike Setup:   Right off the assembly line

Submitted by grn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:    cool looking
light
stiff

Weaknesses:    cracked inner lockring twice

Bottom Line:
These cranks came on my 2008 Tarmac Pro SL2. They look cool, feel very stiff, and have performed well. Chainrings have over 10K miles on them and still going strong. The only issue I have had is that one of the inner lock rings in the bottom bracket has broken twice. It creates a very noisy squeak when this occurs. Specialized has replaced the part for free each time, but not sure if this is a manufacturing issue, as I was surprised for it to happen twice

Duration Product Used:   any

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, FSA

Bike Setup:   Tarmac Pro, DA, Roval wheels

Submitted by pdainsworth a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light, pretty.

Weaknesses:    Bearings that came with crank orignally were ok, but nothing special. Now the crankset comes with ceramics, that I would imagine are quite nice.

Bottom Line:
These cranks seem to get bashed a lot, but I fail to see why. Although I had some issues (creaking from BB and the cap over the bolt for the Hirth coupling came loose) with my first crankset, Specialized took care of the issue and replaced the crank with no hassle.
Since then, the performance of the crank has been flawless. It is stiff (I weigh 230 pounds and am relatively strong, if I may say so myself)and light. Front shifting on the S-works rings is solid. The crank is attractive. What else could one want in a crankset?

Duration Product Used:   Lake Crescent Loop