Truvativ X9 BB30 2.2 10-speed Crankset

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

SRAM X9 has always been a rough and tumble kind of group, as at home on a blue collar race bike as it is on an all-mountain steed destined for a two week adventure in the Rockies. With this Truvativ X9 BB30 2.2 10-Speed Crankset w/Bottom Bracket, X9 isn't left on the porch with regards to new technology either. The 30mm alloy spindle makes this crankset one stiff beast, and with the bearings housed inside the BB30 bottom bracket shell, you'll benefit from more heel and ankle clearance as well. This X9 2.2 10-Speed Crankset benefits from the development for XX, yet it delivers 2x10 performance and simplicity at a significantly lower cost. Truvativ uses a hollow forging process to make sure that the X9 crank meets expected performance/value criteria. Sure, their high end carbon fiber cranks are a few grams lighter, but their higher cost puts them off the mark in comparison to this one.The hollow 7075 aluminum arms are ideal from a durability standpoint. You can stomp on the pedals as hard as you like and you know that not only will they resist deflection, but they'll be tough as nails. And if you ride in rough terrain, that's a nice thing to know when you tag the crank arm on a boulder.Fitted to the aluminum spider are Truvativ's CNC machined 7075 T6 aluminum chainrings which include a highly refined set of pins and ramps to provide smooth shifting under power. A double-specific 80/120mm bolt circle diameter allows the four hole chainrings to be stiffer for more precise shifting, and trick dual-sided 5mm/6mm alloy chainring bolts make for easy work when it's time for replacement or service.The Truvativ X9 BB30 2.2 10-Speed Crankset w/Bottom Bracket is Black with Grey accents and has a 175mm crankarm length. It's offered with either 26/39t or 28/42t chainring combinations. It comes with a BB30 bottom bracket bearing assembly.

Submitted by babu a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Construction, weight, reliability.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The model I use is the BB30, with the 39/26teeth. The crankset came on my 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er. Like most other Truvativ products I used in the past this crankset is a great product. It is light enough, super strong and just works. Although the arms sustained many hits and look like they've been through several wars, they are still going super strong. After about a year of heavy use I replaced the big chainring. I've used this crankset on everything from casual rides to endurance racing on the East Coast and it never dissapointed. I am not a big fan of the BB30 concept since I feel the bearings are exposed more than on a regular threaded BB or a PFBB30, but I got used to remove the crankset once a month and clean and grease the BB area. Removing the crankset is a piece of cake...I can probably do it with one hand only. Installing it is the same. Now that Truvativ came with more chainring size options as well as bashguards this is a really great choice for a workhorse crankset. Nothing fancy...just a good, strong crankset. Shifting is almost perfect. By this I mean, is almost instant. If the FD is adjusted properly, this set up works better than a 3x system. As far as chain-suck and muddy conditions go, all I can say is that after a 4 hour race in the muddiest terrain I've ever ridden, I had not experienced any chain suck, and front shifting remained positive. Definitely recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain, Pekkskill, NY

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Flash 29er

Submitted by FujNoob a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Strengths:    Weight
Appearance
Current availability of chainring options
Stiff

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Shifting is near perfect and amazingly fast even while under load. GXP BB is very smooth. I held off on purchasing until SRAM offered more gear options. Currently they have 26-39, 28-42, 24-38, 22-36 front chainring combos available. After looking at the gears I used most I went with the 24-38 combo which my LBS got through QBP with a bash already installed. X9 is a good compromise between cost/performance/weight. Very happy with my setup.

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ/Shimano

Bike Setup:   29er with X9 2x10 drive train
24/38 front with a 12/36 cassette

Submitted by jumper780 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    -Strong
-Light
-Flawless shifting
-Excellent 39/26 gearing

Weaknesses:    -No custom gearing option offered. You must purchase/use SRAMs proprietary gearing and rings. Sorry Blackspire, no more business from me.

Bottom Line:
This is for the GXP version. I replaced my FireX 2x9 setup with the X9s. I took it out on a 26 mile trail with lots of rocks and drops. The bearings are just buttery smooth. They seemed to be sealed better than older type cranks with the new BB seal. For the price you can't beat the quality. I have the black and grey which looks wicked. I'm not about flashy colors.

Favorite Trail:   Salado Creek/Dana Peak

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   -Truvativ FireX 3.3

Bike Setup:   -Santa Cruz Blur LT2 with custom Mavic XM819 with all the bling

Submitted by greenblur a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Reviewing the 2x10 PressFit30 setup which comes stock on a Salsa Spearfish: Gearing is spot on, not much overlap between large and small rings. They have a narrower Q-factor and the bearings seem better protected from dirt than externally mounted bottom brackets. Chain moves very smoothly between rings.

Weaknesses:    No bash guard is available for the 2x10. They utilize a unique BCD pattern and the rings have notches where they meet the crank arms. Even if I could get a custom one made, it would be difficult to mount. Replacement rings currently run about $100, unless the aftermarket steps up and starts offering some solutions.

If you want to run a 2x10 with bashguard, buy a 3x10 setup and swap out your big ring for a bash. The tradeoff is that you cannot run the sweet 26-39 gearing.

Bottom Line:
The gearing on these cranks are fantastic; they pretty much split the difference between the ratios in a traditional triple ring setup. They are about 100 grams lighter than my RaceFace's but not quite as stiff. My X9's came with the black/gray scheme and they look rather subdued. That is a minus to me but perhaps a plus to others.

The lack of a bashguard is a major flaw. The trails I ride are extremely rocky and the Spearfish has a slightly low-ish bottom bracket. Everytime I try to clear a rock ledge, I'm waiting to hear a tooth break. SRAM needs to address this problem ASAP. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'm going to switch to my Atlas and a 9 speed cassette, sacrificing gearing and weight for increased protection. If/when SRAM offers a bashguard, I will rate this product much higher.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   stock on new bike