Truvativ Stylo Team GXP Crankset Crankset

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Truvativ's GXP outboard bearing crank/bottom bracket sets deliver a big punch when compared with other brands in the same price range.

Submitted by Michael K a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2010

Strengths:    light, looks good, easy to install/remove no special crank tool needed, smooth shifting.

Weaknesses:    Wish there were larger chainrings made for this crank.

Bottom Line:
This was my first mod to my stock Brodie Dynamo. The Stylo is much lighter than the stock one. This is my first initiation to Truvativ components. I like the black matt finish with glossy Stylo logo. It looks rugged. After having the shop install this crank for me I used my full body weight (180) on the crank arms while going up some steep hills. After a few rides the bearing seal which feels like it is made of some light metal popped off on the drive side. This might indicate flexing and shifting as the crank is worn in. I wanted to be able to service the crank myself so got myself the Park BB tool and the required crank tool. With my new tools I just basically took the crank off and inspected it, pushed the seal back in place and re-installed everything. Now it is working perfect.
I recommend this for someone who wants a good looking light crank that shifts well and that is pretty easy to install. The only problem and it is a minor one is that I wish Truvativ made larger chainrings than 44 that would fit the Stylo. I only found one place online that carried a 48t and the alloy one is around $70 with shipping. Shimano chainrings do fit but the ring splines are larger and don't match perfectly to the Stylo.

Favorite Trail:   city riding

Bike Setup:   Brodie 2009 Dynamo

Submitted by lew242 a Cross Country Rider from UK and China

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, lasts forever, takes massive abuse, black looks sexy unlike gray and silver Shimano yuk style.

Weaknesses:    Could have CNC chain-rings and better bottom bracket, but not for this price. Will eventually switch to 2x10 system so will retire this eventually. Bolts die eventually too.

Bottom Line:
Great value. Black powder coat rubs off easily, but I like that because you can easily see who the real riders are!

The crank arms last forever, but chain rings and BB need replacing at least every 10,000kms and one bolt has died after 30,000.

Would buy again, but waiting for 2x10 version to trickle down from X.O. But will just switch out chain rings to CNC after the first year. Don't bother with XTR, Stylo with CNC rings works great!

Favorite Trail:   Gawton HSD

Bike Setup:   XC in AM style

Submitted by jsspace a Weekend Warrior from Guilin, China

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
It works great for me, I can trample it stonger and it make the bike rolling faster but without wasting any of my power.
Shift smoothly.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Deore, Avid, BB7, Truvativ, Stylo Team GXP, Sram, PG990, KMC, ALEX FD16, DT Revolution, Kenda small block eight

Submitted by nick314 a Weekend Warrior from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    light enough, feels solid (i weigh 150lbs), shifts very well, looks cool

Bottom Line:
good price
good shifting
nice and shiny if you care about that stuff
strong chainrings-i've hit/landed them in some logs and they're still like new
haven't had any issues with the crank falling apart like other people here

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   first "good" crank, replaced my sr suntour square taper bracket

Bike Setup:   gt avalanche, lx/xt/xtr drivetrain, lx disc brakes, dt/xt wheels, manitou axel

Submitted by reigndown3 a Weekend Warrior from Lubbock, Tx USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, Extremely Stiff, Reliable, External BB, Easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    Finish is a little weak on crank arms

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is the bottom line an amazing crankset for the price, hands down better than any other crank in its price range. This crankset is extremely stiff, especially for me 6' 2" 198lbs, and light weight for me, an all-mountain rider, at 800g. Go and get one! Gets 4 chili's overall just because it better be gold and make me money to get 5 chili's.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro Canyon GSR

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Ride XC, Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3 w/o any original parts

Submitted by ahlmanj2011 a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, strong, looks great.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
High end performance with a super low price. Looks great too.

Favorite Trail:   Check My Pants

Purchased At:   JensonUSA (pricematc

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Deus XC, Deore XT, Cannondale SI.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F600, Sram X9, Truvativ Stylo 3.3 GXP, Deus XC bar, Mavic Crossride, Maxxis Crossmark, Sram PG980 cogs.

Submitted by holycrikey a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Easy maintenance, fluid pedaling response (the bottom bracket is very nice), relatively decent weight, chainrings seem incredibly strong thus far, and a great price.

Weaknesses:    at 800g, it's a bit heavy for some. Also, it appears that the crankarms will be easy victims of shoe wear. After only a few rides I see clear scuffing on the arms.

Bottom Line:
Btw, the listings on here are a bit mixed up. This review is for the Stylo GXP Team 3.3 crankset. This is a great offering from Truvativ. I had read a few problems about the first years of the GXP crankset. The 2008 and 2009 cranksets are reported to have corrected all problems associated with earlier models. I tossed this crankset on my bike and upgraded from a horrible Isoflow crankset. At 800 grams, some might find it to be a little too heavy. But the chainrings seem incredibly strong and the crankarms are just as strong. Even after hard and nasty shifting, the chainrings show no wear. The crankset has a really fluid response. Pedalling is excellent. I am extremely satisfied with it, especially considered that I got it brand new at just over $100. You can't ask for anything better. I see no comparable offerings from FSA or RaceFace or Shimano for the price. If you can afford more, go elsewhere. But for a VERY solid external BB crankset, I think this one is the clear winner.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Other Truvativ cranksets, Shimano LX and XT cranksets.

Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team GXP 08 Crankset vs Shimano XT 08 Crankset

Hey, I'm in the market for a new crankset on my cannondale prophet. I was thinking about either getting the Shimano XT or Truvativ Stylo Team 3.3 GXP, can you guys help me on the pro's and con's of each and which one would probally be a better choice for me? I'm currently using a Truvativ Isoflow. T ... Read More »

Which chain? XT HG 8 speed cassette. Truvativ Stylo Team GXP crankset (9X)

This is the final part I need for my upgrade. I hope. I don't know if I have to use an 8 or 9 speed chain with this combination---or does it matter? With a 9 speed crankset and an 8 speed cassette will I have problems with my 8 speed shifters regardless of which chain I use? If it doesn't matt ... Read More »

Truvativ-Stylo-Team-GXP-Crankset 129.00

Bluse sky has it on sale a great crank at a incredable price. [url]http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1935_37_-Truvativ-Stylo-Team-GXP-Crankset-*Limited-Time-Only*.htm[/url]Read More »