Truvativ Stylo SL Crankset

2.63/5 (30 Reviews)

• Truvativ Stylo SL
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by CKPC a Racer from NORCAL

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Price and have held up.

Weaknesses:    Chainrings wear fairly fast

Bottom Line:
    These cranks came on the bike. I rode them for a yr then gave the bike to my son. I rode for fun on weekends with no issues and I am a large rider (200lbs.) My son has used them for 2 yrs XC racing again with no issues. He is much lighter (130lbs). Other then replacing the chainrings each yr and one BB they have performed great. Still using a GXP BB without issues. Not sure if I just got lucky based on others complaints, but neither of us have had any issues.

Favorite Trail:   Boggs

Similar Products Used:   XT cranks

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper

Submitted by TravisRidesBikes a Racer from Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    Average weight, good strength, relatively reliable

Weaknesses:    Starts to fall apart as it gets older (common in almost any kind of product) crank arms fall off after a long intense effort

Bottom Line:
    Pretty average product for the price. It started out being really reliable, but as i started getting close to about 125 miles on it, it started breaking down. Crank arm fell off once in a race, but was easily repaired on the go.

Favorite Trail:   Burma Trail, Annadel State Park

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Noir, Shimano Hollowtech

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works Stumpjumper

Submitted by blainefree a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Strengths:    I thought it was a good crank bb combo for the first several months. Seemed strong, durable, and looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Comes loose. Crank arm comes off with aggressive riding.

Bottom Line:
    Just like many other have written, this crank and bb apparently has a design flaw. After approximately 9 months of riding the left crank arm just fall off on the middle of a long ride. Fortunately one of my riding buddies had a bb allen wrench in his camelback to save me from walking 15+ miles out of the desert. After that first incident I noticed the left crank came loose every ride. I started having to carry the big allen wrench on every ride. Today the bolt stripped when I tried tightening it before a ride. Now I cannot tighten the bolt, so it's time for a new bb and crank. I am going to call customer service and hopefully replace it via warranty until I can save up enough $ to replace with XT Hollowtech.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Expert

Submitted by mlhooper a Cross Country Rider from Bedford, TX

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Weaknesses:    Non-drive side crank arm won’t stay on!

Bottom Line:
    On my very first ride, the left crank arm (non-drive side), almost came off!
    I’ve tried using Loctite on it a number of times but it ALWAYS works it way lose again, nothing seems to work.
    I have to carry a wrench every time I ride so I can stop and tighten it.

I have finally decided to call in the warranty on it. Truvativ offers a two year warranty, and the defective part was in production in 2006 so you need to act fast if you are having the same problem as me and everyone else.

If you have purchased a 2006 model bike that has this part on it, call SRAM (parent company of Truvativ) 312-664-8800 costumer service extension 1394.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park, Waco, TX

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized StumpJumper Disc HT

Submitted by sgoneau a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    It's a crank and it seems to work. Flex is minimal. Can't comment on weight since I haven't actually compared it to anything else. It came standard on my Stumpy

Weaknesses:    Always comes loose, ALWAYS!!!! I have snapped the bolt that holds the left arm on already once and I have to tighten the bolt atleast once for each ride.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is that this crank is a piece of junk. I am planning on replacing it and the BB with an LX or XT combo as soon as I can. Truvativ is not getting anymore of my money with products this poorly designed.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Bike Setup:   06 Stumpy hardtail with upgraded Race face riser bar and grips.

Submitted by Erik Berndt a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    Hasn't fallen completely off yet.

Weaknesses:    Has almost fallen completely off multiple times. Creaks all of the time, BB is hard to get in and out. Teeth break easily.

Bottom Line:
    I have been chasing a creak in my crankset since day 1. I hate noises, especially when pedaling. They're crap, and I will replace them as soon as I have a spare $200. Probably with XT. I actually thought about getting the next model up in Specialized's line because it had XT cranks, but couldn't find one in my size.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Race Face.

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL, DT 5.1d's,SRAM XO, Avid Juicy 7's, Easton Monkeylite DH.

Submitted by Chris Kasey from Corona Ca

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    Look pretty decent

Weaknesses:    Left crank arm will not stay on

Bottom Line:
    I am bummed that Jamis would use a product that has such a horrible reputation. I can't afford a new set at the moment so I guess an allen wrench will be a permanent part of my mtb gear. (No matter how far the ride is.)

I would not suggest purchasing any Truativ products after releasing this pile.

Favorite Trail:   SKYLINE

Purchased At:   Came on a Jamis Dragon

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Stock build on a Jamis Dragon Pro (Besides stem and bars.)

Submitted by Kim Godfrey a Cross Country Rider from Broomfield, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    It's a crankset

Weaknesses:    I'm not impressed with this crankset at all.
    After one year I had to replace the small chainring because the teeth stretched and my chain would drop under high pressure. Naturally I had to fix this problem the day before a championship race and there weren't any bike shops that carried a Truvativ chainring. Shimano didn't fit, but after some obnoxious filing a friend made it work.

I also had problems with the left crankarm bolt coming lose. One day the darn thing snapped off and I only weigh 150. Luckily I wasn't far from home and could work on my OL pedaling, right leg only.

Bottom Line:
    Don't count on this being reliable much more than a year.
    I would not recommend this crankset.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch or Three Sisters

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager

Bike Setup:   06 Stumpy HT stock

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Toledo

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Weaknesses:    Works loose

Bottom Line:
    Awful...works loose and the non drive side came completely off. I pedalled home with one leg and now carry an 8mm wrench at all times. After 100 k's I noticed its coming loose again. I'm swapping this off asap. Awful.

Similar Products Used:   XT, RaceFace, FSA

Bike Setup:   Spec stumpy HT

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Horsetooth Mountain, COLORADO

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    I can't think of one.

Weaknesses:    As many have described, they simply become loose.

Bottom Line:
    I'm glad I checked this thread. I thought I was doing something wrong as these are my first rigs with external bearing BB's. I have had it back out multiple times on my Blur - to the point where I carry a wrench in my pack now. My Nomad backed out once, I tightened it up but now it creaks like my granny's back.... I'm swapping 'em out. Life's too short.

Favorite Trail:   The One I'm On

Purchased At:   Stock On My Nomad XO AM

Similar Products Used:   They're on my Blur LT also.... same problem, only worse.

Bike Setup:   A Nomad XO AM and a Blur LT X9 AM - unfortunately these are OEM stock...

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    They work fine when they are on.

Weaknesses:    After 5 to 6 rides doing small jumps and drops the crank comes lose and falls off. It happened twice and untill I replace them, I would not go out without checking them.

Bottom Line:
    They need to be replaced if I am to really trust them and not have to walk home.
    Maybe the work for XC with no jumps?

Similar Products Used:   Avanti ventura, not really similar.

Bike Setup:   Stumpy fsr comp 07 stock

Submitted by Brandon a Racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Weaknesses:    soft

Bottom Line:
    I've just broken in the bike. Ridden about 200 miles on it, and one race, and when I went to clean it after the race I noticed that a few teeth in one section (with my right foot forward, bottom of the chainring) has been chewed away. This is natural, I guess, over time, but I've only bottom out on a few logs (that I know of). I may have bashed it on some rocks in the race, whcih is completely possible since it was a rocky-as-hell race, but I don't remember my race face rings ever griding down like this. The rings are probably fantastic (else, why would SPecialized put them as OE ona race bike?), but they seem too soft. As soon as they go I'm buying the race face rings again. Too bad I left them on the other bike when I got rid of it, but I thought these might be just as good.

Favorite Trail:   everything

Similar Products Used:   race face

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpy FSR

Submitted by pinkheadedbug a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, light.

Weaknesses:    Rings are ubersoft
    Bearings are garbage
    Cranks constantly come loose
    Can only use with GXP bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
    It's a piece of cr*p. The cranks themselves are light and stiff, but constantly come loose. I cleaned them, torqued them, blue loctite'd them, but I still ended up having to tighten them once or twice on every 10 mile ride.

The chainrings are made of butter -- within a hundred miles there were chunks missing from them, gouged out by who knows what.

The worst part, however, is the GXP bottom bracket. Mine has now failed twice in the same modality. Basically, the cartridge bearing starts to crunch, and it cannot be replaced.

This crankset is good in theory but the execution is utterly horrible.

DO NOT BUY.

Favorite Trail:   the closest

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   I have this on two bikes: a Niner SIR9 (it came as part of a Pricepoint build kit) and a Commencal 5.2 (it came as part of the build).

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Crankset came with bike and looked good.

Weaknesses:    After 2 weeks of use (5 rides) the chain broke. Fixed it on the trail and the chain broke again. After one month, the right side is way loose and is currently being replaced under warranty. Many teeth were bent too. I'm not a big guy (5-8, 180) but have managed to practically destroy a brand new product right away.

Bottom Line:
    Unless you like wasting money or are into looks only, stay away from this product.

Favorite Trail:   north rim

Purchased At:   Sports LTD

Bike Setup:   Base Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from Marina

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    Looked neat when it was new. I guess?

Weaknesses:    Chain rings and bearings.

Bottom Line:
    You have already read this but here it is again chainrings broke. bearings went bad in 15 days. Not much more really neads to be said I think.

Favorite Trail:   fort ord