Truvativ Stylo SL Crankset 03 Crankset

Weight : 625 grams MSRP : $169.99

The Stylo SL and Stylo Team are completely redesigned for 2003. The Stylo crankarms are forged from AL-7050-TV alloy, which increases ISIS Drive interface and pedal thread strength. We've added new chamfering and disengagement features to all our rings for easier, chainsuck-free downshifting and improved upshifting. The Stylo SL uses cromoly crank bolts and black-anodized chainrings. ISIS Drive interface only. For cross-country use. Blast Black, Mirror Black, or Tech Polish anodized finish.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light and strong. I upgraded from a CODA crank on my Cannondale

Weaknesses:    I do have some shifting problems that are due to an old XT derailer

Bottom Line:
I replaced my crank set with this Truvative one about a year and a half ago. I also upgraded to a Race Face BB. In the past I've been used to problems with my crank set but I have been pleasantly surprised with Truvative. I Race in 24 hr and long endurance races and have found this to be a great product! I'm 170 lbs and crank really hard on hills while shifting which tends to break chains, but these rings have held out through it all...I've never ridden Shimanno cranks, so I'll have to say that Truvative is the best quality for your money.

Favorite Trail:   kufield

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   CODA Crank set

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F-1000 lefty ELO hardtail. LIght and fast.

Submitted by J.J. a Weekend Warrior from Austin,TX,USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap! Strong! Reliable! These cranksets are the best bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    None... You get more than you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Much stronger than Shimano. I wasn't all that impressed with Raceface either. I've tried XTR and Raceface, and neither stood up to the punishment I've exerted on my Truvativ. Lot's of value.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail Canyon City,TX

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Raceface.

Bike Setup:   Mtn. Cycle STS. XT deraillers. Truvativ bottom bracket.

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Hatiesburg, MS USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, light, inexpensive, look good, well made, and rings shift well

Weaknesses:    They come with heavy steel crank bolts instead of aluminum.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with my 2003 Stylo crankset. I opted for the regular Stylo because it is inexpensive and comes in all-black. The crankset is very rigid for such a light crankset, and the rings shift well. I liked the way Truvativ supplies washers to go onto your pedal spindles, to keep the spindles from digging into the crank arms. My two main gripes are 1) these cranks are not manufactured domestically, and 2) they are supplied with steel crank bolts instead of aluminum. Still, I think that the Stylo SL is the best crankset in it's price range, and I'd definitely buy another set.

Purchased At:   Webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT & XTR, Raceface Turbines, Cook Bros. "F", Truvativ Stylo from 2002, etc......

Bike Setup:   Morati frame, Truvativ crankset, Chris King hubs & headset, Avid Ultimate brakes and Avid Saago stem, LP composite bar, etc....