Truvativ Stylo Singlespeed Crankset

2.84/5 (19 Reviews)

• The SS comes in 175mm and 180mm.
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Biker Bri a Weekend Warrior from Hale, Mich. 48739

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Handles the single speed crankin' well.

Weaknesses:    None noted. Can I go to 34 or 36 tooth ring. 32 now.

Bottom Line:
    Stylo rocks! Scwhinn Homegrown as SWEET as it gets with hardtails!

Favorite Trail:   Lumberjack Big M

Purchased At:   B.G.I.

Similar Products Used:   Stem, seatpost and handlebars.

Bike Setup:   96 Homegrown XT conversion with Mavic rims, Fox fork, small block 8's, Avid 7 brake s/u, WTB lazer saddle. 18 lbs.

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    looks good, easy to service, durable in my experience, built in bash ring

Weaknesses:    weight I guess, drive side bearing race seal pops out.

Bottom Line:
    This is for the 2007 model. I have had no durability issues with these cranks and I take drops on my bike. I have broken 2 sets of pedals, crushed the bearings in the bottom bracket, put flat spots in my rims, and broken off the head of my seat post but this thing just lives on. I love the bash ring - it and the crank arms are covered in gouges but are still straight. It's easy to take apart and put back together when I need to service my EBB (which will always creak way before this thing ever does). Sometimes the drive side seal will pop off the bearings because these cranks don't hold it in place, but I'm not sure other cranks do this better.
    I have tried out lighter carbon cranks on other bikes but always felt nervous taking them through rock gardens. I don't worry about these.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   cheaper Bontrager 3 ring cranks

Bike Setup:   steel 29er hardtail setup 1x9 with eccentric bottom bracket.

Submitted by rageagainst1984 a Cross Country Rider from San Louis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    No strengths, They are the average bear.

Weaknesses:    They do creek a LOT!!

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is these are at the bottom! I give them three chilis because I have not had mine break, bend, or otherwise, I have beaten the hell out of these damn things and its about time to retire them!!!

Favorite Trail:   The Ones not over-ridden

Purchased At:   CBO New In Box

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   SS Soma frame / Chris King headset, hubs/ Mavic rims/ Thompson Stem and Seatpost/ Avid Ulit BRL/ Avid BB7 mechanical disc brks/ Easton Carbon bar/ Truvative cranks

Submitted by Mot a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Strengths:    Chose a good time to break because I was going about 2 mph and was barely pedaling

Weaknesses:    Yup mine snapped too, about 1/2 inch from the spider. Seems this crank can't take lateral stress very well. Snaps quickly with no warning. Went through cycles of creaking throughout its life. ISIS requires 2 tools not one like the new external style.

Bottom Line:
    This was a 2004 I think. ISIS interface. Can't complain much about it except it snapped out of the blue which is not an acceptable way for a weight-bearing part to break. Should have been overbuilt if anything, its an SS crank!! It doesn't have to shift so really the one thing they need to get right is strength!

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Submitted by Andy Frank a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    looks, bottom bracket cups

Weaknesses:    self extracting crank bolt

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2005 Stylo SS crankset. I got about one hour of riding time out of these cranks. I installed them per the included directions. Everything was well lubed and torqued to spec. I then took a ride to test out my new set-up. I went about four miles of light cross country riding, mostly on paved roads, when i felt the left side crank come loose. I thought that I might have forgot to crank it down tight. But the cranks mounting bolt had snapped off in the spindle! After a long walk home I packed it up and shipped it back to Price Point for warranty evaluation. I recieved a call within three days offering a replacement. I no longer trust this product, so I was given the option of replacing it with another brand. I am now waiting for my new Race Face Evolve crankset to arrive. I could be happier with Price Point's customer service. I could not be more disapointed with the performance of this product. It was such an easy install and the cranks looked good on my bike. But they were not nearly durable enough for ANY type of riding, much less single speed.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   05 Specialized Hardrock single speed conversion, Avid BB7's

Submitted by Chris Price a Cross Country Rider from Mahone Bay, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Flex alot, pedal threads are questionable, and they break

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line? They suck. And aparently I am no the only one who thinks so.

Favorite Trail:   Wentworth

Purchased At:   Spin Your Wheels

Similar Products Used:   tons of others

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred, Kona Project 2 fork, Rhyno Lite wheels, Easton bar, and Thomson stuff

Submitted by Claude Thatcher a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, TN USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Strengths:    Brand new 05 Truvativ Stylo GXP SS. Light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Have to buy another tool. The external bearing housings requires a Truvativ GXP tool (or Park BBT9).

Bottom Line:
    This BB/cranks combination is sweet. Simple to install and tweak and they look to be very easy to maintain. I'm stoked. 4 chilis because of the high price but 5 for overall because these babies look good and feel better. A great upgrade for any SS.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace, Shimano

Bike Setup:   04 Binanchi DISS w/hydraulic Avid Disc

Submitted by Hong Kong Fuey a Weekend Warrior from hong kong

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    Nice Colour

Weaknesses:    Cranks specifically designed for single speed use should not bend or snap under normal XC riding condition.

Bottom Line:
    Managed to bend these a few times, which was worrying enough. Finally managed to snap the right side crank at the join with the spider.
    They really suck..

Purchased At:   on-one

Similar Products Used:   XT crank on Chameleon - so much better

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred. Marzocchi z3's, XT disc front brake, XT rear, reetard rims

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Northampton,UK

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Strengths:    180mm long, nice setup for a singlespeed.

Weaknesses:    Broke drive side arm just near the spider, and non-drive side was showing signs of cracking after less than a year.
    ISIS is also a useless BB system....

Bottom Line:
    Cranks shouldn't break in less than a year! Not too impressed. Had a replacement set that I've just retired after about 9 months, mainly because I've had enough of ISIS, but I don't trust them too much either.... The replacement set aren't showing signs of cracking though, so maybe it was the first batch which were dud?

Purchased At:   on-one

Similar Products Used:   Lots.

Bike Setup:   on-one EBB inbred

Submitted by Out of Bounds a Cross Country Rider from Warrenton, VA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Single Speed Specific

Weaknesses:    Breaks under singlespeeding

Bottom Line:
    I'm 200 pounds and broke the non-drive crankarm 2 inches from the bottom bracket after riding them 3 months. Do not buy them for singlespeeding. Maybe my weight was a factor, but that shouldn't be a factor since ss'ing demands high torque from heavy and light riders. If you have them inspect them closely. Mine broke completely in two - fortunately it did not cause a crash.

Purchased At:   webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   XT, Race Face

Bike Setup:   Soulcraft Plowboy

Submitted by jason from tx

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:    CHeap

Weaknesses:    they flex
    they creak
    they break!

Bottom Line:
    These suck! Don't buy unless you can't afford something better. They started creaking and after numerous times taking apart relubing everything, tightening, etc. they broke. Snapped the right arm. Not very impressive, these things should've lasted longer than 1yr. I am hard on parts but I treated these things no worse than I have Shimano products and I never had a Shimano arm break in less than a year! For the record I'm a 190lb aggresive trail rider. Maybe a lighter weight racer type would have better luck!?

Similar Products Used:   shimano lx/xt

Submitted by Miles a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, FL, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Strengths:    Stylish looks, Strong arms, Light

Weaknesses:    4 arm spider

Bottom Line:
    Bought this crank because it was the least expensive for the SS conversion I was making. My 3 ring crank was the riveted together type. This is my first Quality crank and the first time replacing a major part like this. The cranks work fine, but I already wanted to change the chainring for a different size one. not many single speed specific chainrings to fit a four arm spider. This is the only weakness.

Favorite Trail:   Hannah Park

Purchased At:   Webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   Stock cranks that came on the bikes I bought.

Bike Setup:   Giant Sedona converted to SS

Submitted by Charles a Cross Country Rider from Strafford, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, black,

Weaknesses:    Lasted barely a year before I snapped the left crankarm.

Bottom Line:
    I took the chance when buying them that they would be better than their reputation. I'd seen stripped Truvative cranks out on the trails, so was a bit leary, but for the price, they seemed worth a shot. I snapped the left crankarm, while climbing over a log. Just glad I wasn't hurt. Upon looking at the break, it was apparent that they were cracked for a while, and just waiting to let go. These cranks are not up to the strain put on them riding SS. I've been reading about the cranks being prone to this failure on the MTBR SS boards, and all I can say is, "If you have these cranks, inspect them!"

Would give zero flaming turds if I could, because cranks shouldn't break after a year, and certainly not from just riding XC, no big drops, no big air.

Favorite Trail:   The one with dirt and rocks

Purchased At:   Webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   Redline MonoCog

Submitted by Stefan a Cross Country Rider from Paris, France

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    I didn't find any.

Weaknesses:    Damn crank arm snapped off.

Bottom Line:
    I'm a big guy (250 lbs) and put a lot of stress on single speed crank arms, especially the right one (which broke) which is what I usually start off on. However, something that is marketed as single speed crank should be able to handle this type of abuse. I wasn't even hammering at the time, but coasting along at about 2 mph. Even before the arm snapped the cranks felt like wet noodles compared to the Race Face cranks that I have on my cross-country bike. Replaced with the new LX because that's all the closest LBS had to get me home. These are holding up good so far and have less flex.

Purchased At:   Came installed on On-One Inbred.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face. LX.

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred, King SS Hub, SRAM 9.0, etc, etc.

Submitted by Person a Racer from East Coast, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    LONG at 180mm. Looks nice, stiff as can be,
    the real strength is that they are for SINGLESPEEDS.

Weaknesses:    No 24k gold plating available, had to get them done at
    L.J.S. (local jewelery shop)

Bottom Line:
    Use the units of legal tender to complete an act of commerce. Upon doing this you or someone you love will
    take ownership of a finely crafted, yet mass-produced, piece of hardware. Said hardware may be fitted to a cycle and muscle (in connection with nerve and bone) will be used to create tension upon a "chain." Said "chain" will turn wheels and propel one's self over the surface of the earth.

Buy these if you like to move quickly using the most high-quality parts. Don't buy these if you are STILL riding with all of those heavy gears and shifting gadgets.

Favorite Trail:   Steep, Rocky, Dangerous

Similar Products Used:   Diamond encrusted helicopters with Prada-designed interiors.

Bike Setup:   Aluminium Hardtail, all XT, san marco, ritchey, surly singleator, light as a feather, fast as a jackrabbit, fatter than a whale.

For Sale: Truvativ Stylo 1.1 OCT 180mm Singlespeed Crank - paid Ad

Ad [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=37023&cat=500"]here[/URL]Read More »