Truvativ Stylo 2.2 AM Crankset

• Forged AL-7050-T6 Alloy Arms
  • AL-7075-T6 Alloy Rings

Submitted by Mojo a Cross Country Rider from East Hampton, CT

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great product. Stiff arms. Bashguard works great.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
Great XC crankset. If you use your big ring as nothing more than a bashguard, consider this crankset. The smaller ring and bashguard will get you a little extra clearance for log hopping. I have zero complaints.

Purchased At:   One online, one at b

Similar Products Used:   Raceface cranksets, Shimano cranksets.

Bike Setup:   Both bikes with the Stylo 2.2 are set up with 9 speed cassettes with Sram X9 components. I removed the smaller ring from one bike.

Submitted by MARCUSO a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Weaknesses:    Weak, paint is thin

Bottom Line:
Junk!! I had these on my Nomad, and did a 4 foot drop. I noticed that the left arm seemed twisted, hardly noticeable so I kept on riding. 2 weeks later I did some small hills and the left arm fell off. Luckily I didn't "NUT" myself, as it fell off when pedalling. The thread broke in the spline. In my honest opinion, this is a trail crank. Bearings were also toast after one season and the sprocket lasted 1/2 a season with chain suck. If you are going to be an aggressive rider, my recommendation would be to go with the Holzfeller or a RaceFace AM or something.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Sask

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Holzfeller OCT.

Bike Setup:   2010 Nomad AM

Submitted by Ecogeek a Weekend Warrior from Rockies

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Solid. Light. Good materials. Good price. Durable. Simple. Self extracting bolts. Good BB tool interface.

Bottom Line:
No-one need worry about these coming lose. Allegedly there was an issue on pre 2008 models. Solved.
I can tell you that I have never had any problem. I have noticed that you need to apply some pressure the first time you tighten the bolts to get one crank fully-seated on the splines of the spindle running from the other. If you don't do this, then under load, the arm will be able to wiggle (as you didn't tighten it) and come loose. This is true of any crank-set, whatever the design. If you try and install these with the little multi-tool in your pack, and without using any grease, you will have this problem. This is not the crank's fault. It's the craftsman and his tools. Get a proper long allen-wrench. Or socket bit. And some grease (cranks are usually well greased from box). No need to go crazy when tightening either. Go slow and smooth, but firm. You will feel it bottom. Them go really slow and see if it'll move a little more. Then it's set and you can forget.
I have ridden these relentlessly on real mtn trails. Never had any issue at all. I have literally 5 sets. Have ridden in the park and hit drops and jumps with zero probs. I'm 195 loaded.
I've pulled them numerous times and put back on the bike. Still no problems at all.
For 7050TV alloy, these are a bargain if you're not a giant or super fat and aren't using them for DH.
If you're under 150lbs, you could probably even do that.
Buy!

Similar Products Used:   Blaze. LX. Stylo 3.3. Stylo Team.

Bike Setup:   Multiple. Use these on several. Inc 6" trail-bike.

Truvativ Stylo 2.2 AM: 32/22T compatible?

Can I replace the 36 and 24T chainrings on the 08 Truvativ Stylo AM crankset with a 32/22T combo? Is the new (2008) Stylo stiffer/more durable than an 07 LX crankset? The crankarms look a little spindly for an "All Mountain" crank. Just trying to figure out if migrating my LX to the XC bike and ... Read More »