Truvativ Stylo 1.1 GXP Crankset W/BB Crankset

3.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Perfect forTodays singlespeeder. Integrated GXP spindle with outboard bearing bottom bracket cups. Singlering setup with a chainguard inThe outer position. AL-7075 aluminum alloy arms 7075T-6 chainring Approximate weight 875 grams including BB GXP external bottom bracket included Works with 68/73mm BB shells

Submitted by Iamrockandroll13

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2014

Strengths:    -Pricepoint
-Durability

Weaknesses:    -Stock chain ring was a little crap, wore out quickly
-A little heavy, but for the price not bad.

Bottom Line:
I never notice these cranks when I'm riding. They don't creak, they just work. They disappear beneath me and I never have to think about them. They are very stiff and have held up well after over 1000 miles of trail use. The only way I could see these being better is if they had a removable spider.

Submitted by darryl

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    price concious

Weaknesses:    you cant choose the ceramic version of the bb or color of the bash guard.

Bottom Line:
i ordered a set and it only cost about 50 bucks. i love the hollow spindle. i replaced the chainring with my race face 32t because its the alum ano red and I'm going for the red and black color scheme and your supposed to change the chain, chainring and flywheel all at once so they wear correctly. i got the 180mm, and to compensate for the reduced clearance, i installed the azonic 420 pedals.
this is a sick setup and as a single track/xc/race rider, this is perfect. as for anything falling apart, i installed everything correctly and there is only increased performance to report.
i may replace the bash guard. i don't really like the flow of the cnc stock one but it may grow on me.
in all, its a sweet package and i would recommend this to anyone.

Submitted by Gags a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, looks good, cheap

Weaknesses:    Have not found any.

Bottom Line:
Got a 180mm set of these for my SS rigid 29er and they have been bulletproof for the past 18 months or so. I have never had to adjust them or tighten them since installation of the cranks and they are still going strong!! I wore out the original 32T chainring that came with the crank and then replaced it with a Surly stainless steel chainring and that has been excellent.

I am a big guy (195 cm and 99kg) and I am pretty tough on driveline components (especially when single speeding). I have pretzeled about 3 chainrings in the past and have also managed to snap a couple of chains. I have been running this bike with a KMC-810 SL chain and I now have 100% confidence in my driveline which means I can get out of the saddle and grind it up hills without risking the family jewels on the top tube!!!

Favorite Trail:   Buxton

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT cranks, Shimano LX Cranks, Truvativ Firex Cranks, Blackspire chainrings.

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred 29er. SS drivetrain with Surly chainring and rear cog. Stans Arch rims with Dice Shuffle hubs, BB7 brakes with 203 mm rotors, rigid Salsa fork.

Submitted by Chad Thomsen

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, durable and good looking.

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket is a piece of crap that is very poorly designed.

Bottom Line:
Crank Set Review:
Great cranks at a cheap price. I have used the older version of these on my gheto SS bike and they rocked. These are just as good and look even better.

Bottom Bracket Review:
I bought a second one thinking the first one was defective, and I was on a tight budget. Both of them the drive side plastic bearing cover comes loose and pulls out of the bottom bracket. On the second one this happened on the first ride after installing it!!! I used a gheto fix of electrical tape wrapped around the crank spindle that goes though the bottom bracket. Shame on you Truvative/SRAM for NOT FIXING this after its a known problem for a few years!!!! After I blow though these two crappy bottom brackets I am getting a Chris King. In the long run Chris King will be cheaper as it lasts forever and does not need a "gheto fix" to make it work. Enuff said!!

If the BB bracket did not have such a major defect I would give these things a 5 Flammin Chillis.

Submitted by lew242 a Downhiller from UK and China

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap
Look good
Easy to upgrade
Take a BB chain guide/tensioner

Weaknesses:    Chain-ring is cheap
Truvativ aluminum bolts are not so great
GXP BB units sometimes die young

Bottom Line:
Not a massive fan of the chain-ring, so I just switch it out for a 32T Middleburn, Renthal etc. Then I like to use chrome alloy steel bolts with Loctite 243. Then maybe a ceramic bearing BB. Fit and forget, great!

Similar Products Used:   Stylo 3.3, Hussefelt 1.1 DH, Shimano, FSA V-Drive

Bike Setup:   FR/AM FS

Submitted by Dick a Cross Country Rider from Squamish, BC

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Strengths:    Comes in 180mm
Stiff
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy-ish

Bottom Line:
Cheap and durable. I ride 5-6x/week (thanks to an energetic dog) and have had no issues in a year of use. I'm not sure why there's little love for these cranks - they've been great for the price.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX/XT

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob, 1x9, Manitou Nixon, WTB Laserdisc Trail wheels, X9, Thompson, etc.

Submitted by thatsnogood a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Strong as nails crank, great bash guard, and strong chainring. Never had a problem with chainring or bashguard, plus they came apart easily for easy cleaning. Relatively light for the price.

Weaknesses:    Crank won't stay tight. I got it torqued to spec at least 3 times while I owned it. Each time it would stay tight for about 3-4 months of bi-weekly riding and come loose. I'd then re-tighten to spec and same thing a few rides/miles later. Eventually the bolt holding the left arm sheared off. This was the 2nd left crankarm I had purchased for this set and wasn't going to sink another $50 into a 3rd.

Bottom Line:
I haven't tried any other compatible single speed products for mountain biking so I can't really say this is the worst, but of all the cranks I've ever ridden these have certainly given me the biggest headache. Don't waste your money/time on these. The model I got were the 2008 Stylo, so maybe the 2010/11 ones have improved this weak point.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhoti 1, 2

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, BulletProof, Bontrager Race

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey 1x1 or 1x9

Submitted by Leonnolen a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, Alabama

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Weaknesses:    Cranks won't stay tight. Never have.

Bottom Line:
I guess I'll try something different.

Favorite Trail:   BUMP

Bike Setup:   DEAN Colonel SS full rigid

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    solid crankset, good price.

Weaknesses:    correct installation can be tricky

Bottom Line:
great crank set for a single speed bike.
be sure to follow instructions when installing crank to insure proper bearing preload.
you have to tighten and then loosen the crank until no play is felt.
This has been a nice crankset for my SS bike.
I've been riding it pretty hard for about a month with no problems.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Zion 660 EBB, RS recon race, mavic crossride wheels, built into a Single speed of course.

Submitted by Robert Jones a Cross Country Rider from Stockton Ca

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    Good advertising, Performance would have taken them back on the 100% money back deal. But they did not build these piece of s#!-

Weaknesses:    Bearing never lasted more than three hundred miles in the dry. one ride if wet, half ride is muddy. This is the worst bike product I have ever bought

Bottom Line:
Installed new crank lasted a couple of rides, was repaired with warranty seals that did not fix problem. The money
I have spent on repair and bearings would have bought three sets of ENO's. Same reason I only use King headsets, money spent, money saved.

Buy these cranks if you do not ride your single speed and it just hangs in the garage so you can tell folks at work that your hard core

Favorite Trail:   Butcher Ranch