Truvativ Rouleur GXP Crankset Crankset

2.11/5 (28 Reviews)

Truvativ X.9 GXP Crankset 2x10spd: Hollow-forged aluminum arm mated to a 4-arm forged aluminum spider. Optimized Q-factor with a 49.5mm chainline and a drive-side integrated GXP (Giga X Pipe) 24mm bottom bracket spindle...

Submitted by leadphinger a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive cranks that are easy to install, stiff, and even easier to remove...

Weaknesses:    They fall apart...

Bottom Line:
These cranks are garbage. I have tried thread locker, teflon tape, and prayer...Nothing and I mean nothing will keep these absolutely worthless cranks from falling off my bike. They are junk. Do not ride far from civilization or a support team if you intend to use these horrendous cranks. Luckily I always carry a 8mm hex wrench.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   FSA V-drive Mega-Exo, Shimano XT (2008)

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, Fox Vanilla shortened to 100mm of travel, with a full XO kit.

Submitted by mtbdude34 a Weekend Warrior from Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Crank, can take abuse, when it stays on.

Weaknesses:    cranks loosens constantly. Will not stay on.

Bottom Line:
This crank was great for a while, but then the right side came loose. so it was torqued and have had no problems since. The left side however constantly needs to be tightened. this is not good when doing park or street riding. DO not buy this product, try to avoid at all costs. I would have expected a better product when spending close to a G on a bike.

Favorite Trail:   the street

Purchased At:   Rebek and Kroes

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   2007 Norco Rival HT, black.

Submitted by Nick Lehner a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    They stayed attached for a little while.

Weaknesses:    Left crank fell completely off while I was riding on the road back from some dirt jumps (luckily did not fall off while I was jumping).

Bottom Line:
The left crank fell off while I was riding. I reattached it, but after that, it just kept coming loose. I even put locktite on the threads, but I could not get it to stay tight no matter what I did. Granted, I'm 200lbs, I was jumping the bike, and I got the bike on Ebay, but judging from the other reviews, it's a common problem.

I took the bike to the local bike shop to seek some help to get my cranks to stay tight. The tech said that they splines were not so good any more from the crank coming loose, so he said that he could order another arm for me for ~$30. He called me back later to say that Truvative was replacing the cranks for me for free. When I went to pick up the bike, not only did they replace them, but upgraded me to the much nicer Holzfeller cranks. So far those have yet to come loose, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Purchased At:   Came with bike (ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, Truvative Holzfeller.

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized P.1.

Submitted by Zed a Racer from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutely NONE

Weaknesses:    Countless product flaws. Literally every time I take the bike out I find myself concerned about product failure when I should be concentrating on the trail.

Bottom Line:
Truvativ should be ashamed of producing such a shoddy product. Did the engineers spend so much R&D funds on the product that they have to screw the customers to get back the ROI? I am amazed that they would cut a deal with Specialized to actually have this thing come standard on a DH/FreeRide bike. I ride hard, but these cranks have been a load of crap from day one. Riding on pavement for less than 3 miles and they loosen up. Not even jumping to boot!!!

I'm happy with my BigHit, but these cranks are junk.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Kozy Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Wal-Marts cheap commuter has shown to be a more stable product

Bike Setup:   06' Specialized BigHit

Submitted by vince a Weekend Warrior from petaluma

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    well, they are really strong and have never bent or flexed for me(maybe i got a really good set). and compared to other reviews on here, my cranks loosen a SLIGHT bit every 5 months.
i weigh 165 and have never had almost no problems with them.

Weaknesses:    spline isnt long enough for the wide-ass chainstays on the secret agent. but then again, its not really a weakness.

Bottom Line:
obviously not for for others, but for me, these cranks are really strong and will not bend for me even through all the 18 foot drops i put them through. the bb is really strong due to the gigantic bearings. the only bad thing is that the spindle is not long enough for my bike and i had to get a custom one. the bolts for me will come lose after a really long time.
for the money, they are an exceptional crankset

Purchased At:   mikes bikes

Similar Products Used:   raceface

Bike Setup:   Nemesis Project Secret Agent, dj 4's, ditchwitch and speeddisk rims with Fire & Formula SS hubs, ibeam saddle, bb7's and oury grips(love 'em to death)

Submitted by Ben from Iron River, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    they havent broke or bent yet.

Weaknesses:    Both cranks come loose about every 10-15 minutes of riding. Need to carry a wrench with me al the time. Tried using locktite, but they still came loose. I even got it tighted by a bike mechanic with a special tool, but came loose again.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY! Stopping every ten minutes to tighten it is enough to drive you nuts! I cant believe truvativ can get away with selling a defective product like this. BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY EVER!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   duct tape and wood might stay on better!

Bike Setup:   1300$ devinci-great bike but cranks are crap.

Submitted by FreeBlur from UK

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Attaches pedal to the bike for a while

Weaknesses:    Fell off after 2 hours on the bike. Useless.

Still, they came with the bike and only retail for £25.

Gives me an excuse to get a 4th pair of Saints, didn't think it would be so soon, but every cloud etc....

Bottom Line:
Cheap nonsense.
Product not fit for purpose.

Similar Products Used:   SAINT.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Furious off the peg

Submitted by Phil Mishaga a Downhiller from San Clemente, CA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    Feels solid and heavy duty.

Weaknesses:    none yet...hasn't come loose..maybe i got a good one

Bottom Line:
I think they are good cranks they feel solid, kinda heavy but i wanted a beefy bike that could take some abuse, but all these bad reviews make me scared to actually test them...

Purchased At:   Amazon Bikes, Oceanside, CA

Similar Products Used:   Profile racing cranks (BMX)

Bike Setup:   Reign X2, Bomber forks, Kenda tires, Stroker brakes

Submitted by Stefan Slipenkyj from orangeville ontario canada

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    strong as can be, ive done crank arm grinds on these, mine are chewed up as can be and still tight,

Weaknesses:    one foggy morning at the skatepark the left arm came loose, thats it, its been tight scince,

Bottom Line:
after reading all the other reviews it seems these cranks are kinda of hit and miss, you either get an awesome set that are bomb proof, or you get a pos set, i got lucky mine are amazing, and i would recomend you give them a try.

Favorite Trail:   the streets

Similar Products Used:   none really this is the first mtb crank set ive liked,

Bike Setup:   07 P1 fireeye calibars, bmx stem, rolling on two4's fly seat, k rads, odyessey pedals, odyessey linear cable,

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Flagstaff, A-town

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Bomber as hell. Reliable. I really like the BB setup.

Weaknesses:    Heavy??? It's most likely going on a DH or FR bike, so who really cares...

Bottom Line:
Great crank. I have been riding them for bout 5 months, a few hundred miles, mainly burly DH trials, no problems whatsoever so far. Crank is still on there solid...I cannot relate to the other reviews at all. Get it.

Favorite Trail:   too many

Similar Products Used:   raceface evolve dh + BB

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Sohon-bucho, gloryness.

Submitted by Micka a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, AUS

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Seems to be pretty strong, feels solid, looks nice too. Hasn't come loose once, been ridin them for about 4 months solid.

Weaknesses:    None as yet

Bottom Line:
They seem fine to me, alot the other reviews say that they come loose. I havn't really had this problem. Good looking set of cranks, solid, and feel pretty tough.

Purchased At:   Bears Bikes

Bike Setup:   07 Norco Rival HT, set up for dirt & light freeride, 120mm DJ's up front.

Submitted by Alex Watkins a Downhiller from Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    None really.

Weaknesses:    Comes the F--- loose every ride.

Bottom Line:
I did an EP (employee purchase) on this bike a week ago, so I have only used this bike- and crankset for about 5 days. I dont do big stuff yet... but for the past two days the arm on the drive side comes loose. I tightened it this morning, and now, 9 hours later, after a really easy 1.5 hour road/trail ride, it is loose. I am trying to talk with my co-workers at my bicycle shop (Bicycle South in Decatur, GA) and see if there needs to be some recall on this crankset. I mean soo many people say its loose. Its good otherwise. Im getting a new crank btw.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Came stock on my bike.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2007 KHS AM-1000 (Large) Stock componets.

Submitted by barry a Downhiller from kinsale

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    updated review: i have given them some abuse and they are broken so no strengths

Weaknesses:    fall off every ride

Bottom Line:
a waste of money completly usless

Favorite Trail:   south irelnad