Truvativ Noir XC 3.3 Team Crankset Crankset

4.17/5 (18 Reviews)

The TruVativ Noir Carbon XC crankset is the lightest and most refined cross-country crankset in the Truvativ lineup, featuring a lightweight forged AL-66 Alloy spine wrapped in a unidirectional graphite layer for strength and style.

Submitted by FaustoCopy a Racer from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Colour?

Weaknesses:    Completely unreliable. The teeth on the chainring wore out after about 20 rides. I had these on my race bike which I only used for pre-rides and races. It was installed with a brand new rear derailleur, cassette and chain and should have lasted at least a couple of seasons. Alas, in one of the biggest races of the year, my chain began skipping even under minimal tension and I couldn't even pedal up a curb without a horrific grinding and skipping. Frustrating! Maybe I got a dud, but this is only the latest in bad experiences with SRAM products as of late. Think I'll stick with SHimano.

Bottom Line:
I can't endorse this product. Go a bit heavier and buy something reliable, like Shimano XT.

Favorite Trail:   Canmore Nordic

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   Raceface, Shimano XT

Submitted by BloodyRoots a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, different colors are awesome.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if I can call this a weakness but it was tough to figure out the correct spacers for my bike, but it's prolly the fault of my bottom bracket design.

Bottom Line:
I've hit multiple rocks/roots/ etc with this crankset going full speed and i'm 250+ lbs. This crankset is strong as hell for carbon. I've got a few scratches on the bottom of the cranks but there is no doubt in my mind that these cranks are strong as sh*t. The rings have held up just fine and I love showing off my carbon parts to other riders on the trails. BUY this crankset!!

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar Wilderness

Similar Products Used:   Hollzfeller, fireX, XT, FSA

Bike Setup:   05 SWorks Enduro, revelation rlt Ti, x0 and elixir CR and the NOIR crankset in red

Submitted by TomsMadness a Cross Country Rider from New Windsor, NY

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, Not overly flashy.

Weaknesses:    Scuffs, creaks.

Bottom Line:
These are good cranks, and from what I've read probably the best value out there. However, they started to creak bad after a 30 miler in the rain last year. Thinking the BB was bad, I pulled everything apart and their was no issue, so I greased everything up and reassembled - even removed and greased the splines on my pedals. The next ride it seemed fine for a while, but the creaking started again...bad. What a pain on a full suspension bike, since at this point I'm thinking it might not be the cranks at all. Things like this can really destroy the pleasure of a ride. I eventually greased the bolts on the crank rings, and found one to be really over torqued. This shut them right up. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing a similar issue with these cranks. I'll usually have to do this every 100 miles or so, but I tend to ride no matter what the weather/trail conditions are like. Performance wise this issue was minor, but creaks and rattles do not instill the confidence that is needed to make it through your ride.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart MTA, Blue Mt.

Purchased At:   Came With Bike

Similar Products Used:   CODA, Race Face, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur (Aluminum) - SRAM X.0., DT 240's, Thompson, Fox F-Series, TIME Titan Carbon, Kenda Nevegals or Small Block Eights depending on conditions.

Submitted by dkelly a Cross Country Rider from West Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, good looks

Weaknesses:    Cranks scuff easily...buy crankskins if you want to keep them looking good

Bottom Line:
Good looking, stiff carbon crank. Not as light weight as other carbon cranks, but it is also very strong. Was easily mounted up and does not creak. Love the red anodized small ring and red branding on the cranks. As I mentioned earlier and have seen in other posts, you'll want to invest in some protective crankskin decals to keep the arms from scuffing from heel rub. If you not in a hurry look on Ebay or Craigslist for a good used pair.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Stylo, XT's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, Reba Team Fork, Magura Louise BAT brakes, Stan's ZTR355 rims, Kenda Small Block and Slant Six,DTSwiss 240 hubs, Noir 3.3 crankset, Crank Bros Candy SL pedals, Sram X-9 triggers, X-9 derailleur, Thomson X4 stem and Elite seat post, Noir Carbon Bars, Fizik Gobi XM saddle

Submitted by DavidLloyd a Cross Country Rider from madison, wisconsin, usa

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, light and they look great.

Weaknesses:    Scuff to no end!

Bottom Line:
Seem to be available all day long on ebay at or around the 200 dollar mark, can't beat that. For me, pretty doesn't factor into my decision, performance all the way. Stiff and strong, no complaints. If you have heal rub, you will age these cranks in less than 10 rides. My bro used my bike in wet sandy conditions and his feet scuffed the cranks way bad. My only beef with that is resale value. Otherwise, score them on ebay.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ/ shimano xt/lx...

Bike Setup:   Salsa Big Mama

Submitted by Goliath a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Strengths:    Looks pretty

Weaknesses:    Crank arm failed (carbon has seperated from aluminium spline) GXP bottom bracket poorly sealed

Bottom Line:
Brought second hand but in good condition. After one year non-drive side carbon crank arm has seperated from aluminium spline that binds bottom bracket axel allowing a few degrees rotation (so it is stuffed). Can't say what happened to crank before I got it but cross crountry use only from me over last year. I feel top price cranks shouldn't fail at the carbon aluminium interface. GXP bottom bracket is poorly sealed and can not be interchanged with other brands (unlike raceface, shimano which use a common sizing with lots of aftermarket alternatives). No product support as it is not possible to contact SRAM/Truvativ directly (and LBS says can not help). Recomend avoiding this product.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo

Similar Products Used:   XTR M960, Raceface (best of the lot), XT

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark custom build.

Submitted by RacerX a Racer from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, looks good.

Weaknesses:    BB wear does seem a little easy. Older models loosen easy.

Bottom Line:
Initially, the crankarm would fall off. Been using my bike shop for years and trust their knowledge; however, two of the three or four times this happened was during a race. One of the times I was into my last lap in 2nd closing in on first. Not cool.

Now for the good news. If you just make sure like the others say that this crankset is torqued at the correct specs, it will bring you joy.

Last but not least, today, after 2 years of HARDCORE use, there was some creak noise that continued even after a BB replacement. My shop called SRAM and after learning I had it for 2 years asked no more questions and is sending me a brand new Truvativ Noir crankset.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone (Loveland, CO)

Purchased At:   Ebay (Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   FSA Megaexo. Some other lesser brands/models.

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X. Sram X.O. Mavic Crossmax wheels. Avid Juicy Ultimates. Kenda Small Block Eights.

Submitted by OnlyCarbonHT a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    This review is for: 2009 Redwin Noir 3.3 crank
-Stiffer than any crank I've ever used
-Nickel Teflon finish looks durable and helps shift more smootly
-pretty light (805g w/GXP BB)
-Two words BLING BLING

Weaknesses:    None. Expensive but Truvativ really delivered a good product.

Bottom Line:
If you have the $$$ to buy these as an upgrade to any other crank you may be running you will not be dissapointed. They proform well on rough terrain and are extra stiff and light. Not to mention the BLING BLING it adds to your ride

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Some stock Shimano Xt my bike came with.
Truvativ blaze & isoflow

Bike Setup:   12k carbon HT, SRAM XO groupset, Rockshox Tora 318 Uturn,Truvativ Noir crank, Avid Elixir Cr 160mm

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light and strong. Great shifting. LOOKS

Bottom Line:
Super light and stiff as can be. Great shifting and killer looks. I think there better than XTR, period. BUT THEM. You will love em.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, XTR, tons of other Shimanos, FireX 3.3, Raceface

Bike Setup:   09 Diamondback Sortie Black

Submitted by Craig78 a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light Wait, Nice and Stiff, Looks good

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These are significantly better than the LX cranks I used to have. The lightness is a bonus. These cranks are so smooth and stiff under foot. Highly recommend that you buy them.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield

Purchased At:   Trailmix

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech

Bike Setup:   Carbon Frame, Rockshox Sids, XT Deraillieurs,

Submitted by upupandaway a Weekend Warrior from Marburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    - stiff
- very light (800g with BB on my kitchen scale)
- not too expensive
- durable
- look nice on the bike
- switching gears works flawlessly

Weaknesses:    - the BBs tend ro wear a bit fast I think

Bottom Line:
I use them on both my bikes and have had no real issues until now. When mounting them just be sure to thoroughly tighten the screw and it will work. When riding them AM I found they could even take quite a fair beating from rocks. Spare chainrings are not too expensive. Only an upgrade for the BBs might make sense in my eyes. I´ve ordered some Hope BBs, but haven´t tried them out yet. Any way I think they´re a good alternative to XTR cranks.

Favorite Trail:   Siegerland Trails

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Deore, Stylo Carbon, Stylo

Bike Setup:   used on two bikes with XTR and setup for CC & AM

Submitted by Carn a Racer from Dumfries, VA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, and they look sharp

Weaknesses:    Actually require a torque wrench to install. Calibrated Hand Torque WILL NOT work on these.

Bottom Line:
About the same wieght as XTR cranks for 150-250 bones less. They look really, really nice, and have done just fine bouncing off rocks.

One thing to keep in mind is that these must be torques to the appropriate spec. Also, 40 Ft Lbs of torque is a lot more than you would imagine. I would not suggest winging it. I read a lot of complaints about people have last years version loosen up on them. If you torque them to spec you will not have this issue. If you don't set them up correctly and experince issue son the trail ther eis no way you are going to get that sort out.

Bottom line: Great price, look awesome, and light. Set them up right, and then you can forget about them and enjoy the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Quantico

Avid Juicy 7s
Other odd Sram, Shimano, and Thompson bits

Submitted by Christopher a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    Looks, stiff, light, shift -- all good.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I was skeptical about Truvativ bottom brackets as a friend had one explode after a couple of months, but so far, the Noir’s have worked perfectly. I was looking for a good deal on some cranks as my FSA Carbon cranks had to go back to the manufacturer, due to pedal inserts breaking loose. I found these for about $350 on-line which is cheaper than many aluminum cranks. Be careful to install them per the unusual directions (requires tightening and loosening several times) and be sure the crank arm bolt has the proper torque. I recommend continuing to check the crank bolt torque after every ride for the first week or so as they set-in (mine tightened about a quarter to a half turn after the first few rides), then it is all good. Highly recommended for the cross-country rider/racer, do not hesitate -- buy them.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   FSA Carbon, Shimano XTR (old school), Race Face Next LP...

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Hope Mono Mini Disks, Sram XO, Rock Shock Reba World Cup, Speed Dream (CK) Wheels, FSA Carbon: bars, seat post, stem, and CK headset.

Submitted by Scott Hope a Racer from Fort Wayne IN

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2008

Strengths:    This crank is extremely stiff. I had XT just about 2 weeks ago and now the new Noir. I can't believe how much better the crank feels under my feet.

Weaknesses:    No so far.

Bottom Line:
Buy these...they are light just as they say they are. Get them from Chain Reaction. The shipping is free and it comes with the BB unlike many other places that are still more $$.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lakes