Truvativ Noir XC 1.1 Crankset N/C Crankset

Truvativ Noir 3.3-Team Carbon GXP Crankset: 1-piece carbon fiber arms/spider with an internal aluminum skeleton and integrated (drive-side) CrMo GXP bottom bracket spindle. Cover-finished with a layer of clearcoated, unidirectional graphite...

Submitted by Climber999 a Cross Country Rider from Englewood, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Strengths:    I run Noir 1.1 on a Watlworks SS. It's a bike a built with MTB geometry and disk brakes to serve me as fast commuter. I churn on it between 12 and 27 miles daily.

The Noir 1.1g are stiff as they come, light as it goes, and being made of carbon dampen any minute vibration aluminum transmits. I also prefer the shape of the Noir arms over the Shimano's arms. The Noir offers better clearance . With the Shimano my shoe on occasion rubs against the arm.

I am about the make a decision on a 3rd single speed crankset for my Niner One 9. Budget is not an issue. I briefly considered the XTR, Race Face SL Next and FSA Nothing. You know what? I will go with a second set of Noirs . The XTR = XT minus 20g and both are not as good as the Noir; RF and FSA are lighter (40g?), but the arms are made of hollow carbon and thus may not survival an high impact hit. Truvative, wisely to my opinion, placed an aluminum spinal within their arms for ultimate durability.

Weaknesses:    Should be offered in 180mm

Bottom Line:

The lightweight Noir 1.1g. is a marvel to pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Overseas

Purchased At:   Frame builder

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   WW with hand-built wheels (CK + DT Comp + Deep V), Thomosn bits, Syntace Duraflite 3.18 bar, Oury grips, Pure V Team saddle, BB7 + Nokon cables + Cane Creek Levers, Rennen 43t chainring, 17t CK cog.