Truvativ Holzfeller Triple Crankset 04 Crankset

Big and beefy for hardcore riding, but with a triple chainring setup so you can still pedal in all conditions.

Submitted by A D a Weekend Warrior from Wiener city

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to mount. Stiff. Not Shimano.

Weaknesses:    Easy to mount crooked. A bit heavy (Duh! It's a downhill crank).

Bottom Line:
The crank mounted without a problem. Or so I thought. Every time I was in the top ring cranking hard, though, the chain would rub. I finally figured out that the crankset was crooked. Easy enough to unmount, check, and remount.

Now, I sometimes overshoot the top ring. I haven't figured out yet if it's the chainring, the derailleur, the bottom bracket width or what. I have at least narrowed it down to me being an amature mechanic.

I really only do weekend cross country stuff. I don't do downhilling. So, this crank is too heavy for my use, even though I'm not a weight weenie. But, the Hussfelts have good reviews, and the Hozfellers should be better, right? And I couldn't pass up the special offer... got 'em as cheap as LXs.

They've taken a beating. They survived being crooked without screwing up the rest of my drivetrain. I can't say they're a bad set of cranks. They might be suited to downhillers or riders who attack rock gardens with gusto. I don't: I occasionally go through mud, tree roots, the occasional rock garden, but for the most part, fairly tame trails and asphalt. It's just not the right crankset for me.

Favorite Trail:   The city (go on, double park. I dare ya!)

Purchased At:   www.hibike.de

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, Deore. SR Suntour.

Bike Setup:   Self-built, Shimano-free geared 29er. WRT cranks: Truvativ Giga bottom bracket, Crank Brothers Mallet C pedals, Rohloff chain, Sram X-Gen front drailleur.

Submitted by Roland Lubiszewski a Weekend Warrior from Solna stockholm sweden

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2005

Strengths:    Stong Stiff good looking. Durable threads.

Weaknesses:    Anodizing wears off on the crankarms

Bottom Line:
This is the second bike i have put my holzfellers on and when i put them om the scream i also had to remove the driveside crankarm (a ridiculous amount of times because im a crap mechanic) to install my chainguide. Basically its been on and off more times than i can count and its still fits tighter than a bratwurst in a keyhole because the treads in the crankarm are so darned tough. They also came through a week of tough riding at the Mountain Mayhem event in Åre with no other damages than a little worn off Anodizing. I recommend them for any freerider who likes to do big drops....like me *cough* Id give it four chiliz if it wasent for the weak anodizing.

Favorite Trail:   Hällrajd åreskutan

Purchased At:    Dr Spoke

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Xtr Shimano hyperdrive C shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Banshee scream 05. JrT. Holzfeller crankset. Sram X9 shifters
Avid juicy fives. E.thirteen chain guide. and a buch of other shiny bits and bobs.

Submitted by Matt from Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very stong and rigid. Amazingly light, looks sharp.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent crankset. It is very tough and rigid. There is very little flexing. The chainrings are strong and have not let the chain slip once. The crankarms are very stong and look sharp. This crankset is much lighter than I was expecting it to be. The weight-to-strangth ratio is incredible. I have it paired with the Truvativ GigaPipe Max Ti bottom bracket and it's truly great.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com