Truvativ Holzfeller Crankset 03 Crankset

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 680 grams MSRP : $219.99

The Holzfeller crankset is Mountain Bike's Editor's Choice for 2003. AL-7050-TV alloy increases ISIS Drive interface and pedal thread strength while ensuring durability and fatigue resistance. The Holzfeller weighs 100g less than the Hussefelt, yet is strong enough for the rigors of World Cup downhill racing or freeriding on the North Shore. The Holzfeller was ridden to the NORBA NCS championship in 2002 by Maxxis's John Kircaldie and will be Maxxis's crankset of choice for 2003. Simply put, the Holzfeller is the strongest and lightest DH / freeride crankset we make. Offered in a variety of chainring options, including the single-ring DH setup, 22/32/Rockguard, 22/32/44T triple, Trials, and 28-38-Rockguard--sure to be this year's favorite freeride gearing. ISIS Drive interface only. Blast Black, Mirror Black, or Silver Polish anodized finish.

Submitted by Aaron Wixon a Weekend Warrior from Needham, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2007

Strengths:    Unbreakable, Downhill specific, Nearly impossible to create noise with.

Weaknesses:    Angle of connection onto ISIS BB isn't problematic but is very good at collecting dirt and sand. Clean it and your fine.

Bottom Line:
Purchased thinking they were AM cranks when they were really DH specific cranks. I couldn't tell! They are about 180 Grams heavier than XTR cranks w/bb installed which is trully amazing considering the price I purchased them at. I used a raceface Isis bottom bracket and it just started creaking which is not the cranks fault. At first I had to retighten the crank bolts after about 50 miles. Applied locktite, and 350 miles later and they run like they're new!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kooka, Deore, Bontrager, Race Face Evolve XC

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP w/the usual XTR,Fox,King,Mavic,Easton goodies

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Madison, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    these cranks are super stiff. i have never had a problem with these cranks, i put them on and have never had to even tighten the bolts. these things are sweet and worth all the money!

Weaknesses:    the paint wears off quickly but other than that nothing!

Bottom Line:
these cranks are some of the best that i have ever seen, they are great for downhill, freeride and even street, i love them and will never buy any thing else, plus they have a great warrenty (turvativ has great customer service).

Favorite Trail:   quarry park

Purchased At:   erik's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   specialized hrc w/ fox fork, mavic dh wheels, e-13 guide, easton vice stem, fsa bar, etc...

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
They came stock on my 2003 Iron Horse SGS Pro. They are tough, stiff, lite weight, and reliable. I'm 230 lbs. and have abused them with drops to flat and nasty DH runs. A great choice for DH racers. A little pricey if bought aftermarket, but I'd say worth every penny. I strongly recommend them.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT, Race Face Prodigy DH

Submitted by Uthman Ray IV a Racer from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    Very little flex both in direction of pedal motion and laterally, light weight, reliable, available in black color!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
No need to run heavy Profile cranks anymore because there is finally a crankset that compares in terms of ridigity and reliability...Truvativ! Before trying out Truvativ cranks, I used Profile cranks because all other cranks on the market tended to flex a lot during hard accelerations. I tried a pair of Truvativ Holzfeller cranks out in an attempt to save weight, and now every bike I own has a pair on it. I installed them for the first time, and that was it....no need to take apart and regrease due to creaking, and the spline design never allowed the cranks to come loose. I would definately recommend trying a pair of these cranks out on your bike....

Favorite Trail:   all in Santa Barbara

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, Profile, and Race Face.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Santa Cruz V-10, Intense Tazer, and Intense M-1 w/Fox, WTB, Hayes, Truvativ, Easton, and Thomson components.

Submitted by Ben from Sandy Hook, CT

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Strengths:    Looks (black bead blast finish (same as hussefelt); i didn't even know that they came in a finish other than mirror black or silver. It might take a bit of searching to find a pair with the bead blast finish, but it's got to be a ton more durable than either of the mirror finishes.) Pretty light for a DH crank (740 grams), great ground clearance with the bash guard, and super stiff ISIS drive spline. Anybody who has problems with rounding out ISIS splines didn't install them right - i.e., did not use grease when pressed, crank bolts not tensioned properly...ISIS is a bit harder to install correctly than sq taper so get someone good at your lbs to do it

Lacks a big "S"

Weaknesses:    none so far...

Bottom Line:
A bit expensive but a huge step up in quality and a step down in weight from its clossest competitors. If you don't want to break out the dough, buy a pair of hussefelts - theyre pretty sweet too. Otherwise buy this crank...everything about it is great. If you don't, at least be smart enought to buy an ISIS crank...

Similar Products Used:   hussefelt on friends bike...heavy as all hell but impossible to break

Bike Setup:   hardtail, XTR drivetrain (only thing shimano on my bike), zokes z1s, avid discs, IRD black lightning cassette and chain (sweet! buy them)...other good stuff

Submitted by Doug Brummett from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Respectably light for a xc/light freeride crankset, look good in black ano

Weaknesses:    Durability was somewhat lacking, ano wears off/scratches easily, roasted mine in just under 6 months

Bottom Line:
Mine rounded out on the ISIS splines at just under 6 months use. Kind of bummed as I have not had this problem with the shimano splined system. I ran a set of the xtr splined cranks for 2.5 years.

I installed these per directions on both bikes. Up until just recently, when I noticed them clunking, I had been very pleased with them. No problems with install or function.

Upon inspection the splines show a bit of rounding and the anodize on the adjacent face shows some stress markings.

Had I paid half what I did for these I would write it off as the price to ride and be over it. However these were touted as the TV latest and greatest and priced accordingly. To not even get a full season from them bites. My riding is mainly xc with some light freeriding in there. I weigh in at 200+lb with gear on, so not a featherweight by any means. Only thing that I can say I did that could be faulted was that I did install and remove them about 5 times over my ownership period for maintenance and frame swaps. We'll see if TV warrantys them. If so I will definitely post a follow-up. For now the rating stands.

Favorite Trail:   UCSC trails

Similar Products Used:   xtr, xt, deore, white ind, profile, etc...

Bike Setup:   Used these on a couple of bikes, fs intense uzzi sl and then a freeride sc chameleon

Submitted by Robert Fish a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Flex free, lightness (about 100 grams lighter than comparable cranks), has a German name. ISIS.

Weaknesses:    spotty shifting, chain walks off small ring during hard climbs, regardless of cog selection. Has even walked off of mid ring to small ring. Walks off big ring to fall off outside. This regardless of derailler setting.

Bottom Line:
I am a 220 LB aggresive trail rider, I very much appreciate the solid no flex feel under my feet. Also the weight falls between "xc" and "DH" cranksets, without comromising strength. Just put the material where it belongs. This crankset was part of a complete drivetrain replacement. Also, this bike has never been a super clean shifter in the front. The chain walking off the small ring is a problem. It occurs only under tension. It is not flopping off when it is slack. This problem could be due to some yet to be diagnosed problem with my set-up, so I will not totally blame the crankset (yet), but all things thus far indicate that the rings my not be of the best design. I will submit a follow-up as I learn more. Overall, very nice, with the potential to be "top notch".

Favorite Trail:   ONE WITH DIRT ON IT

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   coda, shimano

Bike Setup:   98 Cannondale Super V frame, Marzocchi Z1 fork.Race Face signature BB. XT deraillers, cogs, LX shifters. Other cool stuff to set it up as a proper trail bike.

Submitted by Jorge The Finger Painter a Weekend Warrior from Kock Noccer, KY

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    No Bull S-H-I-T here, strictly high end.

Light & Strong

Light & Strong

Weaknesses:    No fruckin' way, Jose. Chances are your Rocky-NorKona "I'm from the Shore" Hucking Turd is weaker then a set of these jems.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line really comes down to chicks. Sure the Holzfellers are stonger/lighter/blah blah, let's skip the tech nonsense at get to the point. I bolted on a set of these cranks and I was pullin' little honey's left and right, while I was pullin' phat roof drops to no-hander-landers. That's right. The holzfeller cranks are the shizzle my nizzle. The last set of cranks I had to use a Lathe & Plumbers Wrench to get them to work right. 2 months so far and these things rock. I would strongly recommend these for anyone willing to go big and doesn't want to walk home. Just remember: Chicks, Chicks and more Chicks. I love my new cranks and I love chicks. Seriously, these cranks are awesome. The best I've ever used. Just like my boy Eminem said, "Cooler then a freezer in Antarctica".

Alrighty fellow huckers. I'll see ya'll on the trail.

Word.

Favorite Trail:   Fisting Trail

Purchased At:   L.B.S

Similar Products Used:   Kooka. Profile. Cook Bros. Shimano: XTR-XT-LX-STX. Sugino. Suntour. Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Lots of suspension. Some really cool WTB grips. Brakes that stop me before I die. Onza bar-ends. PBR can/shims holding my seatpost in place. A Christina Aguillera sticker, because Britney isn't as slutty anymore. A seat with bent rails, from when I was pissed and threw my bike at my friend.

Submitted by Roscoe Williams a Downhiller from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great looks with the polished arms; easy installation to the GigaPipe bottom bracket; thick Rockguard ring; new stronger 7050 aluminum.

Weaknesses:    Rockguard may be a bit close to the outer ring, but this can be fixed using a few spacers - not really a problem with the product, but more a problem with the chainline of the bike you're installing it on.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding on this crank for about a month now. It is way smooth and way stiff. After using and abusing the Hussefelt crank for a number of years, I expect that this crank will do just fine. More to come as the race season grinds on.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Jones Park

Purchased At:   From the Factory

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Hussefelt Rockguard cranks; Shimano XT and STX cranks.

Bike Setup:   Haro MX-3 frame; Marzocchi Jr. T; Fox Vanilla RC; Mavic D521 wheels w/ XT and Atom Lab hubs; Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes w/ 6" & 8" Hope Gothic rotors; Shimano M545 pedals; Michelin Wild Gripper DH 24.1 tires; Truvativ Holzfeller DH stem and handlebar soon to come, so a World Force Shorty stem and Easton Scandium bar for the time being.