Truvativ Firex GXP Crankset

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

The TruVativ FireX Team 2pc Mountain Cranksets features nickel-plated, CNC chainrings, and is 9-Speed compatible.

Submitted by kunalagon a Cross Country Rider from Belgrade, Serbia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Strenght enough to withstand my 118kgs when those nutns transfered to crankset. Never had problem with it. Used mainly on road, but mountain's trails, also. Arms are also strength enough not to bending while hard pushing.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes, teeth gets bend. I used clamp to unbend.

Bottom Line:
Very strength crankset for moderate and sort of dirt riding. I used it for accelerating very fast on road. After 25000km it just gets old and those space beetween teeth became bigger and chain get stuck beetween very often, so I need to replace it with the same :)
This one I had is 2007 model, and the new one is 2010 model. This new one looks more weaker then previous one. Gears are way to thin and bends easier. I hope it will last at least half of the time the first one.

Favorite Trail:   road, offroad

Purchased At:   www.capriolo.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first crankset

Submitted by timmyg a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Strengths:    Silky shifts, spins smooth, Very quiet.

Weaknesses:    Middle ring bends easily. Tore teeth off big ring.

Bottom Line:
Love the crank and rings. They held up for Ontario cup races for a season and a half. Downfall was bent middle ring cause a chain break in the middle of a races.

Favorite Trail:   Hydrocut, Kelso, Buckwallow

Purchased At:   Diamondback

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   09 DB Mission 2.

Submitted by kurtisk a Weekend Warrior from Brandon, FL

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonably light, spins well, shifts well, no noticeable flex, all black, quiet

Weaknesses:    Middle ring became unusable after 650mi, bent teeth, missing teeth

Bottom Line:
No complaints until the middle ring stripped. Replacement is inexpensive and middle can be replaced without removing crank. But still, new rings after 650mi in 9mo. The RF Ride XC on my son's bike is still going strong (did have to relube BB on his though). I am new to sport and there may be some user error, i.e. too much load shifting.

Favorite Trail:   Boyette

Purchased At:   Huck & Roll

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Ride XC

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX

Submitted by clarity4 a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great Looks, Nice black powder coat with white lettering. GXP bottom bracket, I have the model that has the two silver chainrings with the black one on top

Weaknesses:    Little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
Love this crankset! Perfect for those looking to upgrade to a much newer and smoother GXP bottom bracket but avoid the cost of the Noir or Stylo.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline, Balm-Boyette

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Montague frame all speced

Submitted by Ratherberiding a Weekend Warrior from Wyre Forest, UK

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very tough, stiff, not overweight, fit and forget

Weaknesses:    None discovered

Bottom Line:
I've used a lot of different cranks, the bike came with RaceFace Ride XC but they flexed the chain against the mech everytime I stood up. These Firex cranks are the best cranks I have ever owned - not too heavy, bombproof so far (hard XC & AM with a full 230lb leaning - and landing - on them). Even the bottom bracket has put up with 18 months of hard muddy UK riding - 3 times more than anything I had from Shimano. Looked at 'upgrading' but tbh there's nothing better for what I need from a crank, regardless of cost.

Favorite Trail:   Waterfall run

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace Ride, Shimano XTR, Shimano Saint, you name it

Bike Setup:   Kona Hoss ('Clydesdale'), with all parts selected for best durability, strength and lowest weight

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Downhiller from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, clean shifting, durable, value

Weaknesses:    none really, weight? But who cares

Bottom Line:
This came on the bike, this was my first experience w/ Truvativ. Been on Shimano and RF for 13 yrs. I was very impressed with the quality. Shifts up and down flawless and I ride this bike through rock gardens at full speed and have hit rocks and these cranks and rings have been amazing!! BB has been flawless and smooth as butter!! I have to say that I have now been riding all SRAM since I got this bike over a year ago, and I have a new Sortie Black as well and love the Noir cranks too. I am in love with SRAM, sorry Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn