Surly Mr. Whirly Singlespeed Crankset

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Surly Mr Whirly singlespeed crankset 175, or 180mm, 33t ring and it fits 68 and 73mm bottom brackets. Singlespeed version comes with Surly stainless steel chainring installed Complete crankset, assembled. Comes with spindle and bearings Crank/FDType: Single Ring BB Shell Width: 68, 73 mm Crank Intended Use: Single Speed Chain Compatibility: 9-Speed BBThreadType: English Pedal Spindle: 9/16" Bolt Pattern: 5-Bolt Chainring BCD: 94 mm Arm Length: 175, 180 mm Rings: 33

Submitted by Dumby a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2011

Strengths:    It looks (except the design of the look of the word surly which I did not like before and do not like now that it has been redesigned) good. Shape is nice and the cranks put the pedals relatively far out from the frame which is good for balance and standing on the pedals in rough terrain or in snow.

Weaknesses:    I ride these cranks all winter and fiddling with them has become routine. They should stay in place and not begin to wobble as they have for me. When I first got them, the bearing pre-load bolt stripped. It was replaced by the longer bolt Surly supplied apparently when this became an issue but that did not solve the problem. The left crank arm fell off a very short time after I initially bought this crank, and continues to loosen after riding even now. I have had it worked on at the bike shop that built the bike and tightened the crank arm to appropriate torque regularly and it has not solved the problem. I am about to go out to my shed to adjust this crankset again.

Bottom Line:
I would look elsewhere for cranks. I have three Surlys, six of their hubs, and really enjoy them, but I was disappointed by this crankset.

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   A big reason I boght

Similar Products Used:   I have not used a crankset that is the same design as this one, but all others I have used save one (a cottered crankset on a 1972 Raleigh Sport gave me trouble for some time after I replaced the bearings and cotter keys, but once I got it dialed in I have not ever had an issue with it) have not required, even remotely, the amount of attention this crankset has needed. I had to replace the bearings after about four months of use initially (under warranty, and the customer service at Surly and the shop through which I bought the bicycle, Peak Cycles in Golden, CO, were both very good) which was disappointing. I now think about my cranks as I ride, even when there are no problems, when I should be concentrating on traffic and what I am listening to on my MP3 player.

Bike Setup:   2009 Karate Monkey complete bike.

Submitted by jeffgothro a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2011

Strengths:    Arms appear well made.

Weaknesses:    Came on a Surly KM I bought. Had only a week or so and a bolt on the adaptor came loose and just disintegrated under load, also destroyed my BB cup in the process. Preload doesn't seem to work as it should, cranks seem to over-tighten thus either destroying the bearings, under-tighten and arm has the potential to come loose, doesn't seem to be a middle ground with these (the bolt is loose when under-tightened. I expect a lot better crank for the money, I would not recommend these unless your a roadie or weight weenie.

Bottom Line:
See weaknesses.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano saint, xtr, xt, lx, others. profile, cooks bros...lots of others to.

Submitted by pmcomp a Weekend Warrior from Everett, WA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    well engineered, solid construction, versatility.

Weaknesses:    a bit on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
Just put it on a little while ago. From what I can tell and from what others have said this thing is bullet proof. Also I'm really pumped to try out different chainrings, spiders, whatever. This crank set is super customizable. And it's pretty. Not too bad for the price.

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Bike Setup:   old skool trek 850 hardtail SS.

Submitted by ZIT30/34 a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    Bomb proof

Weaknesses:    none - some say its heavy but this can be easily compensated for if you reduce the number of donuts you consume in a day - Doesn’t look as good has the hollow crankshaft crank sets but this can be compensated for by having a hot wife like mine. When she is around no one is looking at my crankset.

Bottom Line:
You cannot kill this crankset. The bottom bracket is bomb proof, bearing preload is easy to set and stays set. With the individual spiders you can set up any combination of chain rings 1, 2 or 3.

On my road fixed I have ridden this crankset from the first year it was available; I set bearing preload once and have never touched it because I have not had to. This fixed is my commuter bike and it is ridden in all types of weather and I have yet to pull the crankset or bottom bracket for maintenance and the set still spins freely without drag or flex.

On the Prophet I have the crankset set up as a 1X9 turning a Surly 30 tooth stainless chain ring. Surly makes the absolute best chain rings.

Another plus is the Surly will accept an E type front shifter. The bracket that holds the shifter mount is used instead of one of the Surly bottom bracket spacers.

All in all this is a well engineered and built product. Wish they would make a 1.5 reducer headset that was as bomb proof.

If you dont race (weight is a consideration) but ride hard trails and will hammer the pedals and crank arms on rocks and logs as well as crash now and again, this is the crankset for you.

Favorite Trail:   Ones I dont crash much on

Purchased At:   In Gear Cycling and

Similar Products Used:   Tru Vative and Shimano - both were no where as good as the Surly.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet set up as a 1X9

Submitted by Thor29 a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, extremely adaptable - different spiders allow different chainring bolt diameters. Different crankarm lengths available. Adjustable bearing preload (unlike RaceFace). Not made by Shimano.

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive. Spider means more attachment points that could possibly fail.

Bottom Line:
As soon as the Chris King bottom bracket came out I bought it (my RaceFace bearings tended to seize up in wet conditions). But for some reason there was drag with my RaceFace cranks and you can't adjust the bearing preload. I used that as an excuse to try some Mr Whirly cranks in a 180mm length. These things are totally bomb proof. It's easy to get just the right preload on the bottom bracket. They are nice and stiff and very well made. I'm not sure it's worth it to have the ability to swap spiders to use different bolt circle diameters, but it's there if you need it.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles