SRAM XX1 Crankset

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The Sram XX1 is developed for maximum chain control, each tooth’s thickness is precisely CNC-machined to support the chain’s inner and outer links perfectly. Six available chain rings allow you to tune your gear range to match your terrain, wheel size and riding style. Each X-SYNC chain ring fits a single, universal spider allowing you to change rings without removing the light-weight carbon crank arm.

Submitted by Jérôme

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2015

Strengths:    Looks well
strong
stiff
reliable

Weaknesses:    you have to switch between rings if you change riding location for smaller gears - in Provence I ride a 30 teeth in the Apls I need a 28
with 29er gears ratios can be an issue

Bottom Line:
work week nothing to complain about
If not that gear ratio is way to large for 29er !

Submitted by VonFalkenhausen

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, cheap, chain control

Weaknesses:    Developed creak, poor spider to crank interface.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I missed an option to edit my previous review, but consider this an update. I am no longer running these cranks because they developed a creak. Looking into the source of the creak, I found it was coming from the spider-to-crank interface. When I pulled it all apart I was surprised at how sloppy the fit is without the 3 small bolts torqued down. This is a poor design, a creaking bike is super annoying and this design looks to make a creak inevitable. A lock-ring style interface would be better. Back to XTR cranks for me. M985 + Wolftooth ring works just as well, weighs less, looks better and no creaks.

Submitted by Von Falkenhausen

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2014

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Durable so far
Perfect chain control
Solid value

Weaknesses:    They look.... ok

Bottom Line:
I got these on a Chainlove deal, so my value rating is very high, but they would still be a good deal at regular price. Other than the odd cosmetics and clear plastic scuff protection layer making them look kind of special, I really like these cranks. And the looks aren't really bad, they just aren't what I am used to since these are the first SRAM parts to sneak onto my bike since I bought a bike that came with X-Rays. These replaced my old XTR cranks, and feel just as solid and have been trouble free. The narrow-wide chainring is no longer a SRAM exclusive, but it works great. And being able to easily swap out chainrings is a nice touch.

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    they look good, easy to change rings. cheap for what it is.

Weaknesses:    As with all sram carbon cranks, they scratch and chip very easy.
They also have totally stuffed up on the chainline. (I am running 168Q factor GXP on my Santacruz Tallboy C
the chain ring really needs to be about 5mm further inboard to get a better chainline on the 42 tooth.
As it is it is ligned up with a straight chain in about 7th gear.
At moment it is really extreme and you can see it wearing the front ring.

Bottom Line:
Works ok.
pity they didn't get chainline correct
pity that the chainrings don't fit normal BCD's.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Light, it's a 1x set-up, clean looking

Weaknesses:    None yet. A little pricey, but a good crank is expensive.

Bottom Line:
I have run a 1x set-up on my bikes for the past 3 or 4 years and have always needed a chain guide of some sort. With the unique alternating “wide tooth, narrow tooth” pattern of the XX1 chain ring I have not had a chain drop yet (about 200 miles of ride time) without a guide. Before I dropped the extra money for the XX1 rear derailleur, free-hub body, shifter and cassette I wanted to see if I could just use the XX1 crank with a standard rear cassette and derailleur. Works just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon Trail

Duration Product Used:   200 miles

Similar Products Used:   No similar products available, but used mostly Surley chain rings and xtr cranks.

Bike Setup:   1x9, Sram 990 rear cassette, X-9 rear derailleur, 36t XX1 chain ring and XX1 crank