SRAM XX Crankset

4.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Coming in at 754 grams (GXP w/ BB),The XX Crank delivers amazing performance and durability with no penalties in weight.The first MTB crank specifically designed for 2x10 uses some ofThe world's most advanced material science.The oversized chainrings are CNC machined 7075 Aluminum blanks-2mmThickerThanThe competition. Unparalleled stiffness is delivered by an increased Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) and aTwo-piece insert-molded carbon composite construction.The XX Crank geometry provides a narrow Q

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2013

Strengths:    ~ Light cranks
~ Shifting is instant and smooth
~ Thicker chainrings than standard
~ Multiple shift ramps, for being easy on chains
~ Pedal spindle insert is actually machined crank end - slides inside carbon arms
~ Killer race graphics
~ Two chainline options to choose from

Weaknesses:    ~ Pricey
~ Does not include bottom bracket(GXP/BB30/PF30/BB95)
~ Spider is not removeable, for increased chainring options, like X0

Bottom Line:
I was initially reluctant to buy a carbon-armed crankset, after years of being spoiled with Cannondale's super-stiff, beefy, Hollowgram Si SL BB30 cranks. The common failure point of many carbon cranks is the pedal spindle interface, which often becomes unbonded with heavy, high-torque(standing pedaling) use. SRAM remedied this quirky mating of dissimilar materials, by wrapping a machined alloy crank end with high-modulus, unidirectional carbon. The crank arms also has a light foam inner core, which further drops the weight.

Shifting is instant and smooth. The thick, 3mm rings has zero flex under most conditions. The 2x10 is ideal for fast, singletrack XC and Trail use. Mash the cranks and you feel the lurch of acceleration. Your cranking effort goes directly to forward motion. For those who wish for lower gearing - you will need to go SRAM X0, for the option of a removeable spider and smaller OEM rings, to nail the steepest of climbs.

Be aware this race crank does not come with a BB. I suggest you buy the Race Face crank end protectors, to mitigate pedal strike damage on the trail. If you don't have that perfect, feet-straight-forward pedal stroke - get clear plastic crankarm skins too.

Favorite Trail:   Thomas Mountain/Ramona Trail

Duration Product Used:   Two Years

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   ~ Cannondale Hollowgram Si SL
~ Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - Full SRAM XX

Submitted by Jason R

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, durability

Bottom Line:
I was thinking about going with the x9 but I'm glad I went xx. I'm 230 lbs and I've noticed no flex at all while pedaling. I thought that carbon fiber would be a bit flexy, but I was happily surprised.It's always nice to have a component on your bike that you don't need to think about while riding. This crankset has been trouble free for months and I don't anticipate any problems at this point. I have the 170mm crank arms so I don't worry much about pedal strikes but I did install Race Face crank boots on them to be safe. I just ordered some crank skins as well. I consider this a good investment since it will maintain most of it's value if I ever want to upgrade or sell. I'm using this with an XO front derailleur and SRAM x9 type 2 rear derailleur and it's smooth as butter!

Submitted by dgreene2010

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    Buttery shifting, stiff, flashy

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Found this crank online for $350 and swiped it up for my RIP9! After 14 months of use it has performed flawlessly minus a couple bent teeth, but that's due to a lack of a bash-guard and rider error. This is probably the stiffest that I have ever ridden (lol that's what she said)! If I could find the same price I would probably buy it again, but I would have a hard time pulling the trigger if I had to pay $500+ to be honest. For the price I got, 5 chilis!

Submitted by paulrb02 a Cross Country Rider from Mobile, AL

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Super Stiff
Light Weight

Weaknesses:    The replacement chain rings are a bit pricey
Scratches up easily

Bottom Line:
I'm 270lbs so I can usually make anything bend. I was riding the Sram x9 crank (39-26) and I had no problems, but when I upgraded to XX (39-26) I noticed how much more stiff it was. I had the 156 gxp version. The 156 was nice for me as I could use 20mm pedal extenders and get a good cleat placement, while before I had to use washers. (and yes I had a BG fit) Shop around for prices as they can vary a good bit, but if you think you can handle a 39T chainring and want something that is not only strong, but is also light weight then you won't be disappointed. The replacement big ring will cost you about $70 when the time comes.

Favorite Trail:   Dunno Yet

Purchased At:   Fle-bay

Similar Products Used:   Sram X9, and X0 cranks and Shimano 2x SLX crank

Bike Setup:   Pivot 429, with a XX/X0 mix drive train and Stan's Wheels

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    X-Glide
Strong chainrings
Lightweight
Narrower Q-factor option

Weaknesses:    Price
GXP BB interface only
2x10 only
Expensive to replace chainrings

Bottom Line:
X-Glide chainrings (and cassette) is a league ahead of anything else out there. If you want truly improved shifting performance, save your money on extra composite, Ti bits, and extra machining on your FD/RD, shifters, and crank arms and go for the new XG cassette and XX chainrings. Shifting under pressure is MUCH improved over '11 XO (PowerGlide 2 cassette and non-X-Glide chainring) and DynaSys stuff.

Also, as far as I know, this is the only crank that offers a narrower Q-factor for dialing in fit (distance between crank arms). It won't fit every bike, do to chainstay clearance, but if you have narrow hips, you will feel better with this.

Sells for less than new XO cranks in most cases too, though those have X-glide chainrings too. I'll take the XX prestige and lower price over a flat black look with white and blue/red/whatever logo.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   FSA Afterburner 386 (2x10), Truvativ Noir, Shimano XTR, XT, SLX, RaceFace Atlas and many lower end cranks

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly Team29 Ti XO 20spd

Submitted by bobwalk a Cross Country Rider from Tustin, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    Flawless shifting, excellent gear ratios, brings feet closer to frame, no flex

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Took me a couple of rides to get used to the gearing, but once I did was riding faster than ever. I am running the 2x10 26 x 39 crankset and 11/36 cassette (a lot of big climbs around here). As many usable gear combos as a triple crankset, with much better shifting. Less chain deflection means more power to the rear wheel. Very smooth pedaling and I like having my feet closer to the frame. Best drivetrain I've ever used.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Trabuco

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2010 Niner Jet 9, all XX

Submitted by ltb a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    lack of crossover gears, faultless shifts, front and rear, lack of maintenance

Weaknesses:    bit close clearance on my ibis mojo

Bottom Line:
Ignore all the Q's about lack of granny gear (I have old old runners knees) and it is a minimal difference. It works superbly with virtually no maintenance. The lack of crossover gear ratios ensure less triple+ shifts, the only negative is on the mojo sl, 2010 set up I have it is mighty close between the outer chainring and the chainstay, there is no flex though and so far no issues. It aint cheap but you get what you pay for - faultless in all riding from 8 hour enduro's to all mountain climb/ descent, dust, heat, sun, mud, rain....

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   offn' on bikes

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo, (soon to be ck hubs stans rims) xx, easton etc.

Submitted by Dale Greenhalgh a Racer from Corralitos,ca USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight! Perfect Ratios. Shifting is fantastic! Love the shifters

Weaknesses:    Chainrings wear fast, The sram 10 sp chain wears out even faster.
Using for 6 months and am on my 3rd chain, and needed to change the small 26 chainring.

Bottom Line:
Worth the money if you are racing. For everyday use it might be a bit overkill. But now they have new 2x10 coming out in the lower cost kits.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt!

Similar Products Used:   Xt, XTR, NOIR

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Carbon XC

Submitted by billopilot a Cross Country Rider from Santee, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very Light, First time pedaling you can feel the weight difference, Shifts to the big sprocket under load, looks great. Love it, climbs very well. shift is very positive. Running XX shifters, front and rear derailleur, they work great!

Weaknesses:    Using the 26/39, could use a little more gear on top. Wish you could do the 26/42 combo but I guess the can not be interchanged

Bottom Line:
Greatest thing that has come along in while in Mountain biking! Do not miss the other gears at all, even with the 39 chain ring I'm still running consistently faster than XTR on my 26 in Bike

Favorite Trail:   Gatos Ravine

Purchased At:   Big Ring Cyclery La

Similar Products Used:   shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Titus Rockstar 29NR, fox shocks, Stans ZTR crest rims with DTSwiss 240 hub, Formula R1 brakes

Submitted by levir a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent gearing, smooth fast shifting, quiet operation, FAST!

Weaknesses:    This can be too tall gearing for the average recreational rider. Best suited if you are fit and wants to go fast and race

Bottom Line:
This crankset is truly nice. It feels like you are in the right gear all the time. I have the GXP crankset and it is only a few grams lighter than the my current XTR M970 cranks which I modified to a 2x9. However, with the slightly taller but harder gearing, you tend to go a little faster lap times.

It is impeccable. 5 out of 5!

Similar Products Used:   XTR M970 converted to Bash/32/24

Bike Setup:   Merlin XLM

Submitted by lukesterTC a Racer from Norwich, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    The crankset seems to work amazingly smooth. It is lightweight and strong.

Weaknesses:    The bolt attaching the crankset side to the bottom bracket comes loose after each hard ride in the woods. If I torque it too much, it then loads the bottom bracket's bearings and loses spinnability.

Bottom Line:
I love the my XX drivetrain, but I do not understand why my crankset keeps coming loose from the bottom bracket. If anything, riding should tighten the crankset. As far as performance, there are no complaints, but I need to get to the bottom of why the crankset comes loose so frequently.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT crankset

Bike Setup:   All XX drivetrain

Submitted by gearjunkie88 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth and exact

Weaknesses:    Top gear isn't as big (fast) as my old 3X9 setup. Bottom gear isn't as small as small (easy) as my old 3X9 setup.

Bottom Line:
I'm an adventure racer, so most of my riding is on fire roads, dirt roads, and paved roads, with some singletrack thrown in. The XX drivetrain replaced my old XT drivetrain. The XX shifts smoothly, quickly, and precisely. My only complaint is that the biggest gear isn't as big as my old XT setup. Thus, going downhill on paved roads results in a lower top speed. Likewise, the smallest gear isn't as small... but I haven't had a problem finding a suitable gear for climbing really steep stuff, though. Changing to XX dropped my bike to 24.1 pounds (from 25.2 - medium frame).

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Titus X, XX crankset, derailleurs, cassette, brakes, Fox 100mm fork

Submitted by Andy Pape a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth,exact,reliable,Just in a league of its own.Just done the Cape Epic and she did not faulter.

Weaknesses:    Used a 28-42 Front Chain ring. Rear cas 11-36. Needed one easier gear in the ride like the Cape Epic.

Bottom Line:
Dont look any further,this is going to take some miricle to beat. The Cape Epic through everything at us and I must say hats off to the boys at SRAM.

Purchased At:   Morningside Cycles

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT and SRAM XO. SRAM is just so reliable and just simpley bullet proof.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR Full XX with Mavic SLR wheels.

Submitted by a_ratcliffe a Racer from New Castle, In, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    This product is light and has good ratios. Perfect for my favorite hilly trails.

Weaknesses:    None ... You get what you are paying for with this xx line.
You won't be able to blame your bike if you lose.

Bottom Line:
No drawbacks to this crank and the rest of the set. I love having a little extra clearance. Some of the logs that I go over don't catch the crank like they did with the triple. Weith loss is an added bonus. This product line is geared for racers and enthusiasts, but I love it and I'm just an average rider.

Favorite Trail:   Westwood park New Castle, IN