SR Suntour XCC Crankset

• Compatible speed: 24S
  • Material: AC4C Accurad forging

Submitted by Chris Patton a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Good for light trail riding, slow gradual ascents, steep hill descents.

Weaknesses:    Nothing over 22 mph on hills, chain slippage and clicking when pushed.

Bottom Line:
Like pzo, I've gotten my fair share out of this crank, not always a happy camper though. I've beat the crap out of mine for 6 yrs and I ride 50 miles minimum, every other day. I'm 200lbs and do ascents of 1500 ft, 3 to 4 times a ride, depending what Trail I take. I put 2500 miles per year roughly, on this crank in 5 different States and figure the total mileage to be around 19,000. Can't complain too much, went thru 2 chains, so you make the choice. I just replaced Rear Wheel, newer Alivio HG-51 cassette, newer Alivio Derailleur, and new SRAM PC890 Chain. putting on new Shimano Alivio M411 Hybrid Crankset 170mm x 48/38/28 and new BB on this weekend, maybe some new Steel Bead Kenda XC's, to show the Old Gal I still care!

Favorite Trail:   Montour and Panhandle Trails

Duration Product Used:   6 yrs

Bike Setup:   Came on my 2007 Raleigh Mojave 4.0, not my choice, but a warranty replacement for my 2001 Raleigh M50. Cracked the Headset Frame Body in a head-on, with another idiot Cyclist that cut in front of me, so Raleigh gave me the 4.0. has SR XCT, 75mm Aluminum/Steel Fork, Tektro IO w/Wavy Rotor brakes, Shimano EZ-Fire-50 levers, Alloy Joytech QR Disc Hubs, Weinmann XTB 26, 32-hole and Shimano Acera 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth.

Submitted by Tama a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Strengths:    They looked pretty and turned over nice.... for a second.

Weaknesses:    Very soft teeth.

Bottom Line:
I've only had my haro flightline two for a couple of weeks. Ride mainly in hard pack dirt and pavement commuting to and from work. I wasn't expecting top of the line for what I paid but two teeth on the big ring have already snapped off. The biggest thing I've rolled over is a speed bump. Not going to hate on anyone for going cheap (i was certainly trying to save a little) but this is my only transportation, so I will be replacing ASAP. I would rather not see what would happen if I really road them hard.

Favorite Trail:   The one home from work.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Bike Setup:   Haro flight line two 29er , shimano EF51 EZ fire shifters, shimano Altus derailleur (all standard equip.)

Submitted by pzo a Weekend Warrior from Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Nice work horse.

Weaknesses:    None after 9 years

Bottom Line:
I just don't get all these negative reviews. Many sound like poorly tightened pedals to start with. I have used my Trek 4100 for nine years and I would estimate 1500-2000 miles. Seldom hard trails, but I do push hard for exercise. I've weighed from 210-280 pounds in these years, so it's not like I'm dainty with the cranks. Just this spring I did experience some clicking on both sides. I bought the tool to remove the cranks, lubed up the interfaces, retightened, all is well again.

After this mileage, my middle wheel is showing signs of wear, getting that "shark tooth" look. It looks like I'll be able to just flip it over, just like the tranny sprocket on my motorcycles.

Sure, there's almost always better to be had. But what does one really expect for the money?

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 4100

Submitted by DR_JDUBZ a Racer from Chatham Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    big- allows more power, gives the mountain bike a road bike feel without losing the low ratios for offroad use

Weaknesses:    Material used- within 2500km of use the crank teeth begin to visibly wear down/warp. the crank bends real easy, is not at all forgiving. after about 2500km/ 1-months or even less crank is unusable and must be replaced. at 30$ i expect that the crank still be durable, not necesarily "good" or light, steel would be preferred as it is stronger.

Bottom Line:
unless you are lightfooted, or bike less than 1000km/y, go buy a used bike that has a steel crank and take the crank off it for use on you 500$ machine, this crank is garbage. I've replaced this part atleast once a year since i got the original bike as it was the only part that would fit effectively on my bike. its time for a new bike

Favorite Trail:   Ski trail-Pinery Provincial Park

Purchased At:   Outdoor Power And Pe

Similar Products Used:   lots, steel cranks are the best

Bike Setup:   trek 3900d

Submitted by mudmancouch a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Has taken abuse of winter riding

Weaknesses:    Considering it is an entry level crank, none

Bottom Line:
If you are complaining about how poorly this crank performs, take a look at what you are asking it to do. This is not an "I am going to make my living at mountain biking" type of crank. I rode this crank for around 1700 miles over the past two winters commuting to work, winter road riding in salty, slushy road conditions before bending the crank arm while riding on an ice covered lake. I am replacing it soon with another XCC crank for the sole purpose of abusing it in poor conditions. Considering this product, in my mind, out performed its designed purpose, I would say it is a great little crank, a descent little workhorse.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700

Submitted by gvaccleration a Cross Country Rider from medford

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    loosens crank bolts after riding hard

Bottom Line:
i combined a mongoose e303 and a schwinn sx2000 together to make my custom sx2000 the cranks came off the e303 the only problem i have with these cranks are that they loosen the crank bolts on the axle and the crank falls off while on long rides on roads and through the trails other then that they are good but i need to change them

Favorite Trail:   custom made trails

Purchased At:   swaped from mongoose

Bike Setup:   custom built schwinn sx2000 manitou six sport forks

Submitted by azonic_alex a Cross Country Rider from Colchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    It works for a while (about 200 miles). The pedal threads didn't strip out for me. Cheapish.

Weaknesses:    Chainrings bend easily and it creaks sometimes. It bent after about 200 miles of light XC / road use.

Bottom Line:
Not impressed even though it was cheap. I bought it as I was building an 8 speed XC bike and saw these on Trek completes. Chainrings bent so chain didn't sit on ring properly. I'd avoid them tbh.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore and Hone, Truvativ Hussefelt and X Flow

Bike Setup:   Brand X 7005 Hardtail

Submitted by jamesfahrion a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Strips easy, not durable and unreliable

Bottom Line:
I bought my ironhorse at dicks not too long ago. It came with the suntour cranks. About a week later, they striped and my pedal fell off. They replaced it with no-name cranks that are still lasting me for about 3 weeks!

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Hollow

Similar Products Used:   cheapy no name cranks

Bike Setup:   2008 ironhorse maverick 4.2 with manitou shock and rockshox dart1 fork

Submitted by anavrinIV a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc, usa

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    turns the wheels

Weaknesses:    horrible flex, strips easily, very noisy

Bottom Line:
when I got the bike these cranks were great...for 2 days. that's how long it took for the left one to strip where the pedal screws in. I got it fixed and was told that this was a rare problem. within a month the right one pulled the same stunt. also fixed. as of now (4 months later) the problems just keep getting worse. despite being re-threaded and having an insert installed to fit the pedals again, the left crank continues to strip more and is causing my pedal to sit at a very weird angle. as soon as I know what I want to replace these with, these cranks will be history.

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Bike Setup:   stock haro flightline two, dmr v8 pedals

Submitted by antsinthedirt a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Worked great for ten rides.

Weaknesses:    Bent chainrings, wobbled loose after 3 weeks. required re-adjustment prematurely.

Bottom Line:
My bike gets ridden hard at least twice a week and I'm 220lbs. To come loose after 3 weeks, its just poorly engineered. Will be replaced soon.

Bike Setup:   2009 Felt Q620

Submitted by madmagrider a Cross Country Rider from Northern, IL

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2008

Strengths:    It usually comes on lower end bikes, so you don't feel bad actually buying this individually.

Weaknesses:    Pretty much everything you can think of. It's heavy, weak, does not have replaceable rings etc.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this crank. If it comes on your bike, use it until it's worn out or bent (less than one year for sure). Upgrade when necessary.

Favorite Trail:   Palos, Kettle

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   None really. But that doesn't change the fact that I can't wait to change it out.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Mojave 4.0 2008. Mavic Rims, Avid BB7's with Speed Dial levers, Sram X.7 shifters and derailleur, Mazocchi XC 600 fork.

Submitted by kevinmai712 a Weekend Warrior from Dallas,TX

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    better than nothing

Weaknesses:    easily get bent out of place... 3rd ring gear can be easily bent in and out of play which makes the chain come off its gear...

Bottom Line:
good enough to have and to start off with.. but in the long run better off upgrading to a good one... but overall great to have a decent crankset

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   2008 Haro Flightline Sport

Submitted by shermerhigh a Cross Country Rider from Roxbury, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap and looks pretty good.

Weaknesses:    Crank arm comes loose and falls off. No matter how hard you tighten the bolt it stays on for a few days and then falls off again. Especially on harder rides.

Bottom Line:
This crank came stock on my Trek 4300. One of the crank arms came loose and fell off with the pedal. I lost the bolt and had to replace it. The arm keeps falling off on harder rides. No matter how hard you tighten it. I will be replacing the whole thing soon. You get what you pay for. I love my Trek 4300, but the SR Suntour XCC is horrible.

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft

Similar Products Used:   None. But will upgrade soon.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by pill a Weekend Warrior from eastern europe

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    better than nothing :)

Weaknesses:    very heavy, very unstable shifting, rings can be bent easily. Rings cannot be replaced.

Bottom Line:
I used this crankset in a bike race :) it appeared very unstable. I was out of front shifting during all of the major moments. The chain isn't catched by the teeth at all.

Recreation or "noobies" use only !!!
Should be replaced ASAP.

Favorite Trail:   forest trails

Purchased At:   stock

Bike Setup:   Author Solution; Giant XtC

Submitted by AA a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    nice black color, simple and sporty looking

Weaknesses:    crank arms got easily scratched, exposing the aluminum color. I also noticed that the "teeth" on the chain rings were not consistent is size, some were shorter than the others...???

Bottom Line:
Well, for a newbie like me, this crankset is fine for my needs at the moment mainly using it in the village/paved roads. Will see if it can handle more demanding conditions in off-road trails. When I wear it out, I will upgrade to a 9-speed with Shimano Deore or other good components.

Favorite Trail:   all