Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys FC-M980 Triple Crankset

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Usually, new technology trickles down, but in this instance, Shimano trickled up technology from the 10-speed XT group. And this XTR Trail 3x10 Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M980 is the first 10-speed specific XTR triple crank. It's different than an XTR 970 crank in a number of ways. First, it's...

Submitted by Debodawg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty smooth when new. High gear is not missed. 2x10. 26 38. Good for racing and rolling terrain.

Weaknesses:    Low gear for the long climbs is missed. The ramps on the large crank gear wear fast. This makes shifting to the large
Ring noisy and iffy. I bought mine in February it's Dec and I'm looking to replace it already. I ride 3 times a week 9-20 miles
Each ride.

Bottom Line:
I don't miss the high gear. The lower gear is missed. If you do long climbs in your granny or run a 29er pass on this.
You can get a 24T to replace the 26T this will still be higher than a traditional 3x9. There is a 22 out there but the
Difference might require you to drop the large ring down to a 36T. The ramp wear on the large ring is my big concern.
Overall cost, missing low and high wear force me to give this just a 3 out of 5.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Calmar

Similar Products Used:   Shram XO and older Shimano XTR FC-M980 3x9

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5.7c all Shimano XTR

Submitted by RJDofthePhilippines a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Lighter than the M970 for sure, i think by a 40-50 gram difference, im not sure.
no more threaded preload collar claimed by the shimano guys and it is!
hallowtech II, i like how they made the middle ring from carbon and titanium composites of is it for the entire crankset. not sure about that. lol..

Weaknesses:    It scratches so easily. So after i took it down from a previous ride on the trails i had to buy the raceshield thingy just to keep my new 980 looking new and shiny as always, but a few minor scratches has already taken their win so i suggest if you dont want that expensive crank getting allot of battle scars. Invest a little on cosmetic protection for these kick ass cranks.

Bottom Line:
The price like always for an XTR.
its not for everyone, i had to save up but its really worth the investment i had made, comparing it to my 970.
i love the feel of the silky buttery smooth cadence i get from it also matching it up with a CK bottom bracket.
though the 970 had virtually no weaknesses at all, the 980 just made it look better.
so yes if money is not a problem, i would recomend the 980.

Submitted by bigideas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Frank (Frank's Cyclery in Raleigh, NC) set me up with this crankset. I have to say that his knowledge and access to quality vendors is unparalleled.

So I upgraded to this crank (set up as a single speed with a Race Face 34t chain ring/18t Surly cog) from a Bontrager Sport, so everything about my ride seems upgraded right now. My pedaling certainly feels more efficient, and I really have no regrets.

Weaknesses:    None that I have discovered so far.

Bottom Line:
Quality components can really make a difference. This crank from Shimano is a great upgrade for my Vassago Jabberwocky, and it makes riding even more fun than before.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Crabtree/Umstead Area

Chris King Headset
Easton EC90 SL Carbon Bar

Submitted by chefsbikes a Racer from Austin Texas

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Strengths:    Sexy as hell. Smooth compared to the 970's...

Weaknesses:    No bash guards for a while, or ever. Tough to match the outer ring.

Bottom Line:
New Shimano 2011 XTR M980 10 speed Triple cranks installed on an XTR 970 9 speed drive train shift perfectly.

I was a bit hesitant to buy the FC-M980 cranks with an older XTR 970 9 speed set-up, but they are just too cool. I wanted the look of the new XTR, and they were just as expensive as the new/old 970's, so I bought them.

Zero issues running the new crank on 970 9 speed. I have Run City Park in Austin twice, and Reveille Ranch in Burnet three times on the crank. That's about 40 miles of shifty single track. Clean and crisp shifts, and I only ground the big ring a couple of times. The teeth held up well on the granite in Burnet.

The only adjustment during installation on a my front derailleur FD-M970 was the lower limit. The FD was set to XT M760 cranks. It shifted great right out of the box. No rear derailleur issues at all. Wipperman 9 speed Connex chain as smooth as can be. Granny gear is a bit tougher, and the smaller big ring gives you a touch more clearance. Chris King bottom bracket for Shimano spins sweetly with the FC-M980 crank..

The crank is beautiful, light and solid. I'm just dreading the big ring. It's sharp, and it looks real expensive in more ways than one. I might just grind it down to a smooth ring after it has been rocked.

I would recommend them for sure. Yes, they are expensive, but you do get what you pay for in this case. I now lock my bike up in my house after I bought these cranks....

Favorite Trail:   Reville Ranch