Shimano XT Crank Crankset

3.68/5 (258 Reviews)

Shimano XT Crank

Submitted by prairie_plow a Cross Country Rider from North Dakota

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to install, Price not too shabby, and most of all durability. Haven't had any problems with crankset or bottom bracket in 2 seasons of xc riding.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any issues with the crankset or bottom bracket in the last two years. I'm just using one chain ring with a bash guard for a 1x8. Liked it so much i ordered a new XT M770 for my gunnar frame. You should be able to pick up an XT M770 for $200 or less new.

Similar Products Used:   FSA, Shimano LX, Shimano SLX, Truvativ.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor, geared 1x8. I am using the xt crankset set up as single middle ring and it works great.

Submitted by futska a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to install, solid.

Weaknesses:    The stock bottom bracket seems a wimpy.

Bottom Line:
I retro fitted an older Cannondale with these cranks. I have used and abused them, and they still work great. Setup was easy, and still no trouble with chainrings. The bottom bracket did start creaking after 2 months of riding. After a year of use, it could use a swap out but it's not dead yet. This is a great, no brainer crankset. It performs without any hassle! I haven't touched or tweaked them since the day I put them on.

Favorite Trail:   Fruit Trail

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR.

Bike Setup:   '99 Cannondale SuperV 900

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from fremont ca usa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    Very easy to install and setup, looks great, light, stiff and strong. Steel middle over composite adds durability with no weight penalty. Vastly improved shifts compared to Race Face rings. Spins great with no drag - power loss.

Weaknesses:    None well maybee the torx head bolts on rings.

Bottom Line:
Like the setup much better than the new XTR for ease of install and removal at half the price. Chris King bottom bracket will add to the cool factor and you can pick colors. Great cranks for the $$$.

Favorite Trail:   toads

Purchased At:   universal

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Dues - crapola!

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad

Submitted by david a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, durable, light, and good shifting

Weaknesses:    Cosmetic items like the XT rubs off the crank arm after a while from use.

Bottom Line:
Great performing crank, doesn't misshift like others have stated, Light, seems to take a beating. I've ridden allot on it doing 24 hr races and marathon races. Seems to be doign well so far for durability and reliability.

cant really fault it,

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Evolve XC, XTR, Deore, LX

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Super light, Full XT Build Kit, Fox F100 RLT and For RP23

Submitted by Carl a Weekend Warrior from RSA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Looks good, smooth, easy to service, Shifts.

Weaknesses:    Chainrings, BB

Bottom Line:
Review for Hollowtech II M760
Shifts well. Looks good. Stiff and strong. My middle chainring will last 2 chains and the life of a cassette (2000 miles). They are "consumables" like tires and brake pads. Replace them when needed. XTR will last longer but costs a lot more.
The BB is marked by a "Do not disassemble". Which means that it is possible to disassemble. The bearing can be replaced by another sealed unit for $2-3 by a keen handyman.
I like my XT crank.
It can be less pricey though.

Similar Products Used:   LX, Race face Evolve XC

Bike Setup:   Anthem Team

Submitted by Jeroen Hanselaer a Cross Country Rider from Antwerp, Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good, easy install (octalink) Good performance

Weaknesses:    None ( AFTER 7 YEARS of Intesive XC abuse)

Bottom Line:
I had them for 7 years, used them on all kinds of roads & trail and weather and they just ruled. Even the chainrings last long, if you keep them in good condition.
Realy great crankset. ( i hope the Race Face ones i put on my other bike will keep as long)

Favorite Trail:   GOUVY - Ouren - Irhhausen

Purchased At:   Some Dutch internet store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized crankset, Race Face EVOLVE XC

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock (Customized = only frame left original)

Submitted by john francis from brea,ca,usa

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    crank is light and easily worked on

Weaknesses:    i have had to replace the small and middle rings after less than three months

Bottom Line:
I was very disappointed with the durability and life of the components will concider changing manufacturer in the future for crank components. Shimano must have known that this was the weak part of the crank because my dealer tells me that the 08's have a different middle ring. The replacement that was installed isn't aluminum and should last longer,but after spending good money on a crank set less than three months is rediculous

Favorite Trail:   gooseberry mesa,utah

Purchased At:   la habrc cyclery

Similar Products Used:   lx crank, shimano wheels, shifters,

Bike Setup:   santa cruz bullet

Submitted by Matt Kuhl a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight and strong as heck

Weaknesses:    I haven't had any problems at all

Bottom Line:
I actually picked up a set of the M770 chainrings that will go on these cranks when I move them over to my Remedy. I don't think I'm hard enough on this bike to warrant these cranks on it so I'll move them to where they will be better suited. Keeping these chainrings on the new Bontrager cranks, though. They're bulletproof.

Favorite Trail:   I haven't picked one yet

Shimano XT crankset/front derailleur/chain/cassette
Marzocchi Bomber MX Pro 100mm fork
Avid Juicy7 brakes w/ 185mm/F, 160mm/R
Cane Creek SOLOS headset
Bontrager carbon stem and bars
CrankBros CandySL pedals
Mavic CrossTrail wheels w/ Kenda Nevegal 2.1"

Submitted by V T a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, Pa USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Strengths:    shifting,strength,rigidity,looks

Weaknesses:    q-factor too high

Bottom Line:
Best choice for shifting,durability and weight.
Drive: Shimano XT FC-M760 Crankset
integrated crank and bottom bracket setup
Ring Size: 44-32-22T
Speed: 9
Arm Length: 175mm
Bolt Circle Diameter: 104/64mm
Crank Arms: Forged Aluminum/Hollow Type HOLLOWTECH II
Outer Chainring 7075 aluminum
Middle Chainring: Aluminum
Inner Chainring: Aluminum
Chainring Bolts & Nuts: Aluminum (bolt), Steel (nut)
Weight(including BB): 860g

Favorite Trail:   Brady's Run

Similar Products Used:   bontrager, Lx

Bike Setup:   GF Cake 3 dlx, ritchey carbon stem & flat handlebar, ITM carbon seatpost, Lx RF, FD, & RD, WTB Laser saddle, Mannitou R7 Platinum SPV

Submitted by Clay Spradlin a Weekend Warrior from Wooster, AR...USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff and Strong

Weaknesses:    a little heavy if your're a weight wennie

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this crank for over 2 years and have had no problems at all. I'm not a hardcore rider, I do it mostly for the exercise, but I am 6-4 235 and can be hard on equiptment. overall I'm very satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   Cadron Park

Purchased At:   Ebay, I think

Bike Setup:   Leader 526, FOX F100RLC fork, XTR shifters and Brakes, Mavic Crossride, XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Prattville, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good and light weight

Weaknesses:    Creaked from day one

Bottom Line:
I bought this crankset new off of ebay. I had an older model XT crankset that always did great. This new one creaked and popped from day one. It performed ok but I decided to try an FSA V-drive Megaexo. Another problem I had was the chainrings being to weak. I broke a toothe off within the first couple of weeks. I wouldn't recommend this crankset.

Favorite Trail:   Thompson's Loop (Tsali)

Similar Products Used:   Older XT crankset

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT w/ Sram X.0, XTR, Chris King, etc.

Submitted by Dave from Port Elizabeth South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Same as below

Weaknesses:    Initially the chain would skip off the middle ring when standing under full power while the rear shock is open and the rear wheel hits a bump. We moved the 2nd spacer from the tight hand side to the left so that the rings are closer to the frame. This seems to have improved the problem.

Bottom Line:
This is an update over my last post. Intitially I was not happy with the cranks. LBS could not help. A fellow racer pointed out that by moving the extra spacer to the left would help. This seems to have done the trick. I do however ride more in pro-pedal 2 setting nowadays and this problem used to only appear when the shock was set open. Did a 144km enduro recently and not once did the chain skip off the front rings.

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville, Baviaanskloof

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Anthem Team with RP23, Reba Race, XT brakes dual control, Mavic X819 with MAxxis Crossmark UST tyres, XT crankset (duh!), XT derailleurs.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Port Elizabeth South Africa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Looks cool, says XT on the side. Shifting is good

Weaknesses:    Chain slips off the middle chain ring under pressure when hitting a bump on the rear wheel. Very annoying when doing cross country racing.

Bottom Line:
I saw the complaints about the chain slipping off the middle ring and unfortunately I ignored this. Wanted full XT on the bike and upgraded the cranks to match. Only had the bike for 2 weeks now and sure to break teeth or chain soon with this problem. Hopefully the LBS can help me sort this out. LOL!

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Similar Products Used:   Truvative

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant Anthem Team, Reba Race, Fox RP23 full XT, including brakes, Mavic X819 rims

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Port Elizabeth South Africa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Looks cool, says XT on the side. Shifting is good

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Similar Products Used:   Truvative

Submitted by Steven Salmons a Cross Country Rider from Rolla, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, good looks, shifting

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These cranks (Hallowtech II) are awesome. They are super light and the advertised weight includes the BB. My shoes do not rub the cranks. The shifting action is really smooth although I do not run the biggest ring.

Purchased At:   E***