Shimano SLX FC-M660 Crankset

4.64/5 (33 Reviews)

• 2 tone colored crank arm
  • High rigidity crank arm
  • Accurate chainline construction by 2-piece structure
  • Rainforced construction for extreme riding style
  • Increased ground clearance

Submitted by HSracer

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Durable

Weaknesses:    Not as light as or stiff as XT/XTR

Bottom Line:
I got these cranks to replace some old XT cranks that i had worn out. These are just as good, if not better. They are light, stiff, and very durable. I am always bouncing off stuff and ramming my cranks into stuff (look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go) and there is hardly a scratch. They're super smooth too. If you are thinking about getting XT, don't bother, these are just as good for far less.

Submitted by FriscoFairlane a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    -Stiff
-Light
-Looks awesome
-Bloody cheap

Weaknesses:    Abosofreakingloutely none. If you have a problem with these cranks, either you put 'em on wrong or you're just a snob.

Bottom Line:
The SLX crankset is the shining star of Shimano's SLX line. While I use all SLX components on my rigs now, the cranks offer more performance and value than anything else out there. They are stiff, pretty light (within like 20 grams of XT) and they look just freaking awesome. They are way burly enough to take most any AM/DH abuse, and cheap enough that you totally won't mind bashing and gouging them up on the rocks.

But just how cheap are they, you ask? I got one set on eBay for $150, and another on Jenson USA (without the BB) for $89. With the BB, that's $119 for a premium set of cranks.

I have them on my mountain bike and my singlespeed commuter, and they are perfect on both. If you are not a comonent snob or weight weenie that needs the highest zoot stuff to bolt to the top of your car, there's really no reason to use any other crankset.

If you can find a better deal on a better set of cranks, I will eat them. Seriously. SLX cranks are that good.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Ride DH

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Strengths:    Just keeps working, Strong stiff and suprisingly light

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this crank for nearly two years now. I ride 4 days a week and I'm on my second set of rings that have some miles to go. Same BB and it runs very smooth. Requires periodic Maintenance to keep it running smootrhly. It is a lot of quality crank for a very small price. You could spend more of course and might get less in certain other brands. I already bought the new 10 speed version for installation this winter when it's raining to hard to ride. Yes I would suggest it to a friend

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Huck & Roll

Similar Products Used:   FSA gravity light, Truvativ Stylo, Race Face Deus

Bike Setup:   Jamis 650B2 Frame only stock item. Custom build

Submitted by brian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, beautiful, shifts well, no flex, never a problem, looks as good as XT, XTR

Weaknesses:    none, ok, maybe 40 grams heavier but who's counting?

Bottom Line:
I bought this crank to go on my Intense Spider 29er. I have an XTR on my old Spider and decided to try the SLX because it was cheap and looked great. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the build. It is a super durable crank that will not disappoint.
I ride 4-7 days a week logging about 50-100 miles a week and have zero issues after installing this a year ago.
Buy this crank, you will be pleased! It is really as good as XT, XTR and CHEAP!!!

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider 29er, RoxShox Reba SLT, Fox Float, XT finned brakes, Easton, Thompson, DT Swiss, Chris King hubs, etc.....

Submitted by Tillers_Rule

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, visually appealing, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Upgraded my crankset to this one about three years ago. I ride a FS Stumpjumper, weigh 200 lbs. I'm constantly bashing my pedals and crank arms on rocks, roots, curbs and whatever else I can manage to run into. I use the large chain ring as a bash guard. These things have held up great, still tight, strong s day 1.

Submitted by OLx6 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    The bottom bracket is very smooth, and crank arms are stiff with zero flex. Installation was very simple. The crankset looks good and you can tell it is made well just by looking at it.

Weaknesses:    At 880 grams or so other cranksets are lighter.

Bottom Line:
For the money I can think of a better crankset. It shifts well, is reliable, and looks great.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Strong, smooth and beautiful

Weaknesses:    it wears out

Bottom Line:
The best of the best! Just buy it!

Favorite Trail:   El Condor Epic Backcountry

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   M542, M540, M530, M311, Race Face Deus XC

Bike Setup:   Banshee Paradox

Submitted by rufio a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    Strong and stiff. Shifts very well. Looks great on my bike. Price was great because I bought it during a sale.

Bottom Line:
This crank has been a nice change of pace for my bike and my wallet. For a long time I was running XT level products on my bike for the durability and performance, but it was costly to replace for a rider on my budget. At first I was like, "what is going on with this odd middle child groupset". After using the products on my 29er and riding it all over the mountains in WV, NC and pounding our local trails in VA I can say I'm stoked. I love Shimano's trickle down concept. You can see the XT and XTR pedigree in this crank and the other products. If you are a budget rider/racer or want a nice crank to upgrade your ride this is an awesome place to start.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT.

Bike Setup:   35 lbs. 29er hardtail brawler.

Submitted by frdfandc a Cross Country Rider from Elkton, MD USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Good looks, nice weight, only 40 grams heavier than the XT due to the steel inner chainring. Stiff and strong, has classic Shimano crank shifting - smooth and precise

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best cranks on the market. Being in the bicycle industry (not a Shimano employee), this crank from Shimano puts other manufacturers on notice. Great price, great looks, good weight. Switch out the chain rings and its lighter than XT. I've put over 500 miles on this piece and has not given me an ounce of trouble.

I recently switched out the standard triple setup for a 26/36/bash setup and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I think the only crank that Shimano makes that looks better than the SLX is the XTR, but you can't beat the price of the SLX.

Unless XT gets a huge design change looks wise, the SLX will be my go to crank on my next build.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Similar Products Used:   FSA Afterburner w/Blackspire chainrings

Bike Setup:   Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er

Submitted by Fennyboy a Weekend Warrior from Philomath Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    I love everything about these cranks! easy on the eyes reasonable price and I haven't had any problems

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Get these Cranks!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail I can get my hands on

Purchased At:   http://www.blueskycy

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Rincon
-Crankset Shimano SLX FC-M660
-Eastern neon blue bearclaw pedals
-Mavic ex721 rims, Blue :)
-the rest is currently all stock

Submitted by nickav21 a Cross Country Rider from Bartlett, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    Very stiff, really nice looking, very light, cheap!

Weaknesses:    Not as light as XTR?

Bottom Line:
I picked this crankset up on eBay for dirt cheap brand new. I figured it would suit my needs, but had no idea it would go above and beyond what I was expecting! It is very light. Light enough to really make you question shelling out the extra $$$ to jump up to XT. I really can't think of anything bad to say about this crankset. It's really just the best price:weight:performance ratio on the market! Only giving it 4 chilis for overall, because of course there are better cranksets out there if you got another $200 to drop!

Favorite Trail:   Wolf River Trails

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, FSA V-drive

Bike Setup:   1x9 drivetrain, bunch of other stuff, but doesn't matter

Submitted by funnyjr a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    light/well designed. shifts superb. couldnt ask for a better crankset at this price.

Bottom Line:
I dont see why anyone would get a XT when this SLX one does the same job and is only a few grams heavier. Looks better than XT because its styled more like the XTR. Its like the younger brother of XTR. I want to change my SLX crank to a double and use it with a 2 x 10 set up.

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   anthem, xt rear der, mavic 717, bontrager x lite stem, thomson stuff, chris king inset,

Submitted by glazej a Cross Country Rider from las cruces NM USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff, smooth. Looks great and easy to install

Bottom Line:
Excellent crankset! Used this to build up my full suspension 29er. Shifts fast and no dropped chains. No "clunking" noise or harsh feel. Looks great.

Favorite Trail:   Rabbit Run, Cathedral

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   none this good!

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei 29er, Tora Soloair 100mm, Shimano HG-61 cassette

Submitted by charvey9 a Weekend Warrior from Beaverton, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Price, performance, stiffness, style.

Weaknesses:    No performance weaknesses. Would be nice if it had a removable bearing seal for maintenance like the XT cranks.

Bottom Line:
After being out of biking for around a decade, this was my first Hollowtech II type crank. I was delighted at how easy these are to install during my bike build. Since I ride in some very muddy conditions I have also got in the habit of taking my crank arms and chain rings off for inspection/cleaning every month and am very impressed with the wear and ease of removing and reinstalling the crankset. I do wish the bottom bracket had a removable seal like the XT cranks so you could easily service the BB bearings. As far as performance goes, this crank is great. I use it on my XC hardtail and FS all mountain bike. Although I am a light rider at 5'11" 170, I often find myself riding in difficult conditions and prefer the strength and durability over the weight savings. Styling is nice too. The satin black finish looks great on any bike, is very durable, and will stay looking good for a long time. Bottom line is that you will not find a better crankset for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Tillamook State Forest

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycles

Bike Setup:   09 Kona Kula XC hardtail.
09 Kona Kula Dawg Supreme FS All Mountain.

Submitted by localsf a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    stiff, strong, smooth shifting, look great, price

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
For the price nothing else compares. I was very close to just dropping the coin on XTR, then I saw the sale price from Blue Sky, read a few reviews and went for it. Maybe someday I'll drop the extra $300.00 on XTR to save that precious 115 grams, but for now I couldn't be happier.

Dead reliable and stiff. Look great and the bottom bracket is super smooth. Shifting has been spot on with no dropped chains when dumping to the granny. I dig.

Favorite Trail:   annadel among others.......

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Bikes