Shimano LX Crank Crankset

3.49/5 (249 Reviews)

Shimano LX Crank

Submitted by Ahoy1 a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Solid feeling external BB, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    None as yet.

Bottom Line:
At $75, you can't beat it.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ 5D, Sugino Impel

Bike Setup:   2006 Cinder Cone

Submitted by zippinveedub a Weekend Warrior from Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Attractive, External BB, Different lengths avaliable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these after I found out that my factory BB was crap and could only be replaced with the same thing. A real steal at $86 for hollowtech cranks. I have had no issues with the cranks coming loose and they are much better looking than my old cranks.

Favorite Trail:   Songbird -Carvins Cove

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Truativ 5D

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Single Speed

Submitted by Gromit_dog a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Cool looking, decent weight only 50g penalty over XT. No trouble. This review is for the Hollowtech II crank.

Weaknesses:    Painted/annodized in a cool gun metal grey and i think its starting to rub off, which sucks cause it will look battle worn but i guess that's the price of riding my bike.

Bottom Line:
Very good value, no issues, no bolts coming lose, all is good.

Favorite Trail:   Switchback Trail, Golden Ears Park

Purchased At:   South Shore Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Older XT cranks like the 737's and the ones before the 737's (cant recall 730?).

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8. Pretty much stock except for removal of the lame stock tires

Submitted by Seenitall a Cross Country Rider from Boise ID

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    I Have had nothing but problems with this crank/chain ring/bottom bracket set-up from the begining. Flat out junk.
I had it overhauled 3 times. It squeeks all the time.

Bottom Line:
It is shameful that any bike shop selling upper end bike's would think of putting on that garbage. Spending more than 2300.00, there should be no problems for at least the first year. I did learn one thing, I will never do business with them again.

Favorite Trail:   Bob's

Purchased At:   Geoge's - Boise

Similar Products Used:   Race face bottom bracket/rings/cranks.

Bike Setup:   George's Boise ID

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    I can't believe that the LX cranks are only getting 3.48 out of 5... these cranks are GREAT! Especially for the money. Great value, great cranks!

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
Great cranks! If I ever break my XT cranks, I wouldn't waste my money buying anything better than the LX.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mtn, Canberra Australia

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Race Face, and most other Shimano cranks.

Bike Setup:   Currently running GT i-Drive 5 1.0 XT/XTR.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Reasonably lightweight. Very durable. Common size for replacement chainrings.

Weaknesses:    Flex? I don't notice it.

Bottom Line:
I've got the 5-arm version from 1995. I've been using it continuously since then! Finally wore out the middle ring this past year. I replaced it and the granny, so I could get a smaller ring on the granny to go with my 28 big cog in the back. Since the granny was steel, it wasn't yet worn out. I replaced the middle ring with an exact replacement Shimano 32 tooth ring. Cost under $20, can't complain.

The only problem I've had was that a year or so ago the crank started creaking. I had a bit of trouble locating the source of the creak, but found out it was at the interface of the two crank parts, the spider part and the arm part. I dripped some blue Loctite down in there, and it shut right up. I use it with a UN-72 bottom bracket.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   XT 110/74 crank

Bike Setup:   Waltworks custom steel 29er frame, rigid fork, triple crank and seven-speed cassette. Lots of old XT and LX stuff. Mavic and Sun rims.

Submitted by Eric W. a Weekend Warrior from Henderson NV.

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    I've used the same crankset, for three years, on two bikes, with three middle rings, two granny rings and I just recently put on the second bottom bracket.

Weaknesses:    Wish the LX middle rings were still steel, like the old M-570 ones.

Bottom Line:
These things are legendary. The overall score is low, because MTBR never updated the list of cranks to reflect the M-580 Hollow Tech 2 cranks. If the M-580-581 cranks were in a separate listing, they would have a score that is much higher.
These cranks are very durable. After more than three years of hard riding at Bootleg canyon, I finally replaced the bottom bracket. The truth was, the stock BB that came with the crank was working fine, I just felt paranoid about a 3+ year old bottom bracket out in the desert.
I've lost track of how many miles are on this crank, but it's probably at least 6000.

Favorite Trail:   Dirty ones

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by TrailMaker a Weekend Warrior from Vestal, NY. USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Cheap

Bottom Line:
I was really looking at the XTRs at first. Then I saw the XTs. However, when I compared the cost (2-3x+), and weight, (not much difference from XT), it was a no- brainer. I chose the LX, and have not been dissappointed.

I used to go through a BB per year minimum, if not 2-3. The brand and type didn't matter. I even drilled the crank hanger. The bearings just did not last in the muddy, rocky Upstate NY climate.

The LX Hollowtech system was a snap to install and adjust. I used pipe dope on the threads to seal them, installed and adjusted them, and have not touched them since. They are just as smooth and tight as the day I put them on.

I weigh 240lbs, and my favorite riding spot (2-3x week) has 9 creek crossings, plenty of mud at times, and tons of rocks, roots, and generally rough technical terrain.

These cranks have been flawless. I wish I had bought TWO sets!

Favorite Trail:   Any one I've made! ;-)

Purchased At:   ???? - Major Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Light ISIS, old Shimano square drive

Bike Setup:   '05 Heckler, 5th Coil, Vanilla RLC, Thomspon X4 w/Easton, WTB Duals w/ 2.5s. Heavy Duty.

Submitted by Lowell a Cross Country Rider from Brunswick, ME

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Hasn't broken, light, stiff, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Required a 121mm spindle, which sets the pedals a little wider than they need to be to fit my bike (about 1cm on each side), but I don't notice the difference while riding.

Bottom Line:
This is for the octalink hollowtech LX crankset. I am reviewing it earlier than I usually do, but I just raced with these cranks and I was going down a very fast rough section of trail at the start of the race in a tight pack, and all the sudden I hear this really loud 'crack!' from the guy right next to me, and one of his crankarms is dangling from his shoe at 25 mph. Another dude coasted through the finish holding half his fancy integrated bottm bracket crankset in his hand. Point is, it works and takes a beating, no worries.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury mountain, Boundary Trail

Purchased At:   Cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   Old specialized oem on my 1996 rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Sport (1997) with xt/lx drivetrain, Manitou Skareb fork, crossmax/crossride wheels, good ol' v brakes.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CT

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    light, rigid, looks nice, easy to install

Weaknesses:    i dont think you can get them in different spindle lengths

Bottom Line:
i bought the 2007 model with the integrated spindle. it cuts back on the weight greatly by integrating the entire bottom bracket into one unit. i bought the Race Face Diablous cups separate and these babies work great! i like the wide arms too. only thing is that they only come in 113mm lengths (i think), but most new bikes come with that setup anyway.

5 chilis for being affordable (go eBay!)
5 chilis for being a great, reliable product that lives up to Shimanos name

Favorite Trail:   West Rock Ridge

Similar Products Used:   shimano STX

Bike Setup:   07 Spec Epic expert, Rock Shox Reba team fork, XTR/LX drivetrain, all the good stuff

Submitted by Michaelblade a Racer from SoLag,CA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Kind of Bombproof for any rider under 160 lbs.Real easy to install.Plenty of rings that fit.

Weaknesses:    I'm not a heavy enough body to find any.I'm working on it though.Trying to Jillflirt these cranks.

Bottom Line:
Not much.If I was 180 lbs.I would be breaking alot more components.I haven't raced MTB yet but I was MX for 5 years so Yeah I'm a MF'n racer.I trust these cranks for my 150 lbs. Also thanks to everyone for taking the time to post here.I check here to see what works the best.That's why I'm giving an honest opinion. I run a rock guard, so with only 2 rings the set up on a 68mm BB is fine.Bigger riders need stronger set-ups for big drops and rough landings.So read the reviews. FTW Lets Ride

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   OEM on my old bikes that got sold

Bike Setup:   Rattle Snake AM frame Freeride heart.XTR RD & shifters.MZ Drop Off 2 fork 20 mm.Romic R shock.8 spd.XT Cass. Specialized FR hubs & rims.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Crown Point, IN

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff and relatively light. A great crankset for serious recreational use.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new LX580 Hollowtec crankset. If you are looking for a replacement crankset and on a budget, this is one of the best around. I like the design of the outboard bearings and is considerably lighter than a lot of factory cranksets. There is no flex with this setup, and paired with the M520 pedals, the power transfer is amazing.

Similar Products Used:   Some Suntour crank from the factory that I broke.

Bike Setup:   07 Trek 4300 with LX Crankset, M520 Pedals, Deore Front Derailuer. Rest is factory.

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Northern Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    1 year of hard xc riding and its still holding up! I weigh 230 lbs!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Good all around crank for the money. Not light, but strong. All of Shimano's crap is over priced!

Favorite Trail:   Briones

Purchased At:   Came with the Bike

Similar Products Used:   all kinds

Bike Setup:   Spec. Epic

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Marengo illinois US effin A

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    better than the older ones with the square peg system. ok after extensive work

Weaknesses:    the bolts constantly come loose, i had to weld my bolts to the arm, ruining the BB. but it works! and i stripped an arm out.

Bottom Line:
its good if you have no problem putting some work into it, i personally like it better than my old setup but still sucks. there needs to be a better system, if i can strip a crank arm there is a need of a better setup

Purchased At:   came with bike

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   old square peg spindle crap on my old deore

Bike Setup:   surly instigator, Z.1 Fork, rhino lite XL's

Shimano 170mm LX crank & Raceface seatpost

Picked up some new parts for mine & my wifes bikes, thought these were decent deals: Shimano LX cranks (170mm length arms) $89 [url=http://www.jensonusa.com/Cranksets/Shimano-LX-FC-M582-Crankset]Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop[/url] ... Read More »

Crank fixing bolt for LX M572 hollowtech??

I am trying to locate these dam things: Shimano part # Y-1E311000 for Hollowtech V2 splined BB Cambria shows them backordered and not sure if there is truly availability Any suggestions?Read More »

Spiderless LX crank ?

Is it possible to remove the spider of LX m582 crank ? have anyone tried it ? I would like to install 29t chainring and apparently it is not possible with the spider tnxRead More »

M660 ring on Deore LX M580 crank?

Just like the title says, can anyone confirm that the M660 rings will work on M580 crank? I'm having trouble finding the M580 middle ring in stock.Read More »

LX crank trouble

I have a lx crank and the left crank isn't able to be screwed in all the way because the base hits the bottom bracket. Is there supposed to be a spacer or something in there? ThanksRead More »