Shimano FC-M440 Crankset

TheShimano FC-M440 crankset features steel, replaceable chainrings and is 9spd compatible. 9 speed crankset Uses squareTaper bottom bracket (not included) Fits 68/73mm bottom bracket shells22/32/44t Weight: 929 g

Submitted by Paul Whitcomb

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, consistent, reliable, lots of bang for your buck.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, black color.

Bottom Line:
I got this crank stock on my 2001 Raleigh M80, which I use all the time for carrying heavy loads of groceries, hardware, on bad roads, at night and in wet or bad weather. In other words, the crank is on my workhorse. Ok, shoot forward 11 years. This crank has not given me the slightest bit of trouble. The heaviness.., to tell the truth, I never even notice, because the rest of my bike is aluminum. I am about to upgrade to a Truvativ AKA, so I thought I'd let you all know that for a crank you can get on Ebay for $25.00, you can't go wrong. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't weigh a ton, it is just a bit heavier than the premier race cranks out there. About 200-300g heavier. Put on some Speedplay pedals and call it even. I've hit curbs and objects that have pretty much lunched my platform pedals, but have had no effect on the crank arms. If you're on a budget and ride your MTB in a non-competitive environment, here's your crank for the next ten years. At least you won't be worrying. Oh yeah.., steel outer chainring will keep you protected.

Submitted by Stody Moby a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, Value and Reliability

Weaknesses:    Rather heavy

Bottom Line:
These came with my 2006 Focus Raven and have only given me trouble during last few months due to the attrition of the teeth. This is explained partly by the fact that I've only replaced my chain once during the last 7 years and it was around year 5 so by that point I had ridden the bike 5 years with the stock shimano chains and little to no maintanance.
Granted, I am not a XC enthusiast but I have commuted for several thousands of kilometers and that does include mud and rain as well as -30 degree celcius.

I had some trouble finding replacements but when you take a look at the shimano tech docs you can see that the M440 crankset chainrings are the same as Deore M510 which are well available at the time being. All 'n all I think these M440's are a little sub-Deore class for use with stock bikes since replacement parts are not well represented.

Duration Product Used:   7 years