Shimano Deore Crankset

3.82/5 (67 Reviews)

Advanced Shimano forging technology has made possible a hollow crank arm that maintains strength and rigidity while reducing weight. Special 9-speed design assures that the chainrings shift quickly and positively with the super-narrow 9-speed chain. 4-arm design means increased strength and lateral rigidity with less weight.

Submitted by Rewind

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts smoothly on flat ground.

Weaknesses:    Is starting to jump out of place after a few years.

Bottom Line:
Is starting to jump out of place after a few years. and chain is getting stuck only after a few years of light use. It has never been adjusted, but still. Hopefully a new chain and some adjustment will solve it.

Submitted by condorp

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Strengths:    Good shifting and power transfer. Good value

Weaknesses:    Weak, I bent them after one day of ownership on my first ride with them. It was a decent crash, clipped a grass tree stump at 30kmhs+ which also bent a pedal, but I have done more than that to my old SLX cranks and they only showed cosmetic damage. I only weigh 65kgs...

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for, but I still expected more than this. But they worked well while they lasted.

Submitted by apbyte a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Low cost, strong, smooth and shifts very nicely. But most importantly hollowtech ii :-)

Bottom Line:
I have M590 model. At first rings seem cheap and too light for taking serious load, but that is just a look, they are much stronger than I thought. Very smooht pedalling and shifting is very nice with their improved technology. Great value and strength for price.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio, shimano stock items

Submitted by Anse a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Price, weight, reliability, very smooth peddaling.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
In comparison to deore XT, XTR or SLX this crankset is up with the best. Yes it may be the lowest of the ones mentioned but why pay hundreds more when the quality and durability is right upther with them. After puttin on my bike and riding I could feel a noticeable difference. The peddaling is lighter and wears you out much less. Pedaling smotth and responsive, it feels like when I push it goes and when I relax it just keepmy bike mooving a a very steady speed. I can put my bike on the highest gear and pedal as fast as I can as hard as I can and this crankset set up does not give me leg fatigue.

Favorite Trail:   Enterprise south, Ocoee trails

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, alivio and other cranksets.

Bike Setup:   Deore, deore LX, SId Shock, raceface handlebar and XT wheels. There is not carbon anything on this bike and it only weighs at 24 pounds.

Submitted by excalibur1200

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    strength looks, shifts reasonably well

Weaknesses:    Weight, but its cheap..sooo

Bottom Line:
Not had any issues with this crankset, its been strong and reliable. SLX and XT are lighter, shift marginally better, but are no stiffer and cost significantly more, for the majority of users Deore is an excellent value good quality crankset with stylish looks and a nice finish. My Trek 6000 came with Deore and Trek is not junk.

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    This is for ORIGINAL Deore DX. Just replaced the original BB and middle chain ring about a year ago and this is a 1992 item!

Weaknesses:    Well,like lots of early 90's bike stuff its not made anymore, and if it is, it isnt made like this.

Bottom Line:
Don't know what it is with the old Japanese made parts but its almost like the alloys were of higher quality than now because I honestly don't see ever needing new crank arms. Hint, if you have an old set that look crap buy some cheap polish and polish them up to a mirror shine. I did and they look sweet plus if it gets marked up you can simply buff away any scratches.

Similar Products Used:   Sugino impel

Bike Setup:   1992 Rocky Mountain Team Comp thats been set up for fast city riding/ messenger style.

Submitted by Kiaran Davies a Weekend Warrior from Llandovery, Wales

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    Were really smooth for 1 ride

Weaknesses:    bearings in the BB were really rough after 2 rides. After a few more rides notices the left crank arm slipping slightly. Took it apart and put it back together nice and tight and fell off again three times in one short ride 6 miles from home. All the teeth on both left crank arm and the actual axle wore down really quickly. If you want my advice DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy the 2010 hollowtech 2 deore chainset. Unbelievably bad.

Favorite Trail:   Cwmrhaeadr

Purchased At:   Absolute Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Had some sr suntour cranks before for two years of hard riding and is still going strong

Bike Setup:   felt redemption, Marz 55s, full deore, elixer 5s....

Submitted by B-52 Bomber a Cross Country Rider from Mt Victoria, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    The original DEORE crank set remains on the bike after 10 years of serious beating over rough terrain and countless steep inclines. The crank set and deraileurs have been reliable and dependable but they are due for replacement. After reading the disappointing reviews of LX and DX sets, hey ... I am sticking with the best performance and value for money that befits a hard tail bike frame of 10 years.

Weaknesses:    Certainly not its longevity... it might have lasted even longer if I maintained it better....

Bottom Line:
Deore is a heavy duty long lasting group set. Its standard inclusion in the 2001 Tassajara was the best thing Gary Fisher ever did. The marginal weight saving from the LX and DX sets is not enough to sway me to upgrade - rather, I am just looking to replace with the same. Hope that Shimano still makes it like it did a decade ago...

Favorite Trail:   Oodnadatta Track

Purchased At:   Clarence Street Cycl

Similar Products Used:   Deore for 10 years!!!! One could say that I have not known any better. My answer is: I don't need to, when factoring price, the bike frame, and a 10 year duty cycle that has been nothing short of bullet proof.

Bike Setup:   2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara hard tail with Deore Groupset.

Submitted by gorg_karlo a Cross Country Rider from Beijing

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    Price point. Hollowtech II. Buttery glide thanks to new BB setup.

Bottom Line:
Reviewing the 2010 model here...

I just can't imagine why I would go for DEORE XT when these cranks do pretty much the same (if taken on the price point perspective - better). Hollowtech II construction combined with the new BB make my legs happy with that buttery glide feel. The best change I have done so far for my ride here in Beijing. If you are looking for the most versatile crank, not a weight weenie, and do not mind the ugly DEORE typeface - this is the crank!

Favorite Trail:   Changping Trails

Purchased At:   Beijing Jingshangmao

Similar Products Used:   Pre-2010 Shimano DEORE, Shimano DEORE XT, ProMax, Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 7 Frame, 2010 Shimano DEORE Groupset, Mavic XM 117 Rims, SR Suntour AXON ELD Fork

Submitted by RobertCShay a Cross Country Rider from Stamford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    Strong
Durable
Works

Weaknesses:    Middle chainring wears out and causes chain to stick to it. I believe it happened after about 7,500 miles. Is that good?

Bottom Line:
I'd say overall good cranks. Wondering if Deore XT would be more durable.

Bike came with these Deore FC-M542 cranks stock. I do primarily ice biking and training during winter months approximately 125 miles/week. Many, many hills and mountain climbs are involved in each ride and I weigh 180 lbs and can crank out significant watts (power). Chain began to stick to the middle ring over the last few weeks and would stop the crank. I always changed the chain at its service interval according to the park tool chain wear indicator so this is really middle chainring wear from use not a stretched chain.

I'm on the fence about upgrading to an onsale XT M770 crank ($170) or replacing the center ($15) and large ($38)chainring on the Deore. I believe I will opt for the XT because of my weight, power, type of riding, and frequency of riding. I go all out every ride and believe the center ring on the XT may last longer given my riding habits. Who knows for sure.

Favorite Trail:   All with ice

Purchased At:   Came with 08 Stumpju

Similar Products Used:   Deore

Bike Setup:   07 Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail, nokian extreme 294 tires, chris king hub, sram chain.

Submitted by Scotty a Cross Country Rider from Toronto ON

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    Price, stiffness (compared to stock crank), smooth hollowtech bearings

Weaknesses:    Stock octalink BB (totally disintegrated after being fully submerged in a stream crossing)

Bottom Line:
I have used both the octalink and Hollowtech II versions of the crank on the same bike. The original (octalink) only lasted me a season before i bent a chainring and the BB was shot. it was a solid Crank but i decided to upgrade to the newer style BB and i am so happy i did. the new crank is way stiffer and the bearings are way smoother. also a bit lighter. For the money there is not a better more solid crank. perfect for an upgrade from a internal style BB crank. when you put your foot down these baby's will move you

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Suntour, truvative Fire X

Bike Setup:   Rocky Vertex 50

Submitted by roguetrooper a Weekend Warrior from Wales

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, reliable shifting,look great,bargain!

Weaknesses:    Havent encounted any yet!

Bottom Line:
You cant get better for the money!! And I dont see why you should spend hundreds when you dont need better than this...I have hollowtech II version...fit and forget!! If your after a descent chainset look no further!

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa,Wales

Purchased At:   Tredz,Swansea

Similar Products Used:   Top campag from road days...

Bike Setup:   GT hardtail...

Submitted by Juanito a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap and it works. Good for riders finding their way around their first mtb

Weaknesses:    the splined interface between the crank arms and the chainrings will start to loosen once you start becoming a much fitter rider and really pushing the crank to its limit. eventually the chainrings will just wobble around because the splines no longer fit together properly affecting shifting performance and eventually breaking off the arm itself

Bottom Line:
good for beginners, if you are a fit rider who rides 100kms a week forget about this and buy something stronger.