Race Face Ride XC Crankset

3.21/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 995 grams MSRP : $146.99

The Ride crankset is packed with features found on Race Face's higher end cranks, at a more affordable price. Crank arms are net forged from 6066 aluminum with aggressive styling for a high strengthTo weight ratio. FeaturesThe new 'EXI' interface external bottom bracket system for easier crank installation and removal with standardTools.RetainsThe same 3mm range chainline adjustment feature as X-Type cranksets which aids in dialing in driveTrain performance.Features a lightweight, forged and CN

Submitted by Buggyr333 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Price
Looks Good
Works, plain and simple

Weaknesses:    Stock BB doesn't last

Bottom Line:
Why pay more? these cranks are solid. I have them on my freeride/AM rig, because they were all i could afford at the time, thinking i would upgrade later, but I don't feel the need to upgrade. They're stiff enough, and look good. the only complaint I have is that the stock bb developed creaks pretty quick, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Turbine, Atlas AM, Ride AM, Chester, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2012 Diamondback Scapegoat FR/AM build. Cranks are setup as 2x10 with Blackspire chainrings.

Submitted by bigpedaler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Value, overall quality is there

Weaknesses:    Chainrings

Bottom Line:
THIS IS FOR THE ISIS VERSION**

I picked up the Ride crankset after being dissatisfied w/ the X-type Evolve (the product was good, but the design sucks, IMO) for next to nothing (since it was ISIS). Having had them for A while, the rings needed replacement; the crank itself is as good a platform for upgrades as anything out there, so I dropped the $$ for the rings.

I will run ISIS as long as I can still get the parts!

Similar Products Used:   RF Evolve-X, Shimano Deore Sq.T, XT Octalink, Truvativ Sq.T

Bike Setup:   Kona Coiler Supreme w/ Nixon Comp, RF grips/stem/NC-17 bar, TRP carbon levers w/ BB7 185's, Sun Equalizer wheels, X.9

Submitted by SJSharks2010 a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Solid. Shifts Well.

Weaknesses:    Had to put locktight glue on one of the crankarms to hold it in place.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty basic crankset. But it's solid and will last you a long time.

Purchased At:   Bought From A Friend

Bike Setup:   Iron HOrse FR 10

Submitted by JOwens14 a Cross Country Rider from Lynchburg, VA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    Cool looking. Strong pedal threads. Paint does not wear easily.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket is pure junk. Throw it out the minute you get the crank and pick up a King or Wood. If you're on a budget, grab some Enduro bearings at the very least. The minute you go through some muck, the Race Face bearings will be shot....I would absolutely not recommend the bb to anyone.

Bottom Line:
Crank is fine and strong but the bottom bracket is garbage. If you're buying these, plan on investing in a new bb almost immediately.

Depending on your riding style, the shape of the crank arms my bump your ankle. Not an issue for me, but I've heard from others it can be annoying.

Favorite Trail:   Candlers

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred, Reba XX, Hope/Mavic's

Submitted by mbuguy a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Does just what it's supposed to do without any problems. Have had no problems with shifting, loosening or chain suck over two years of hard riding.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Figured the entry level BB would be the first thing to go on this bike, but it's still running smooth.

Bottom Line:
Bike came with this crankset and I figured it would be the first component to wear out, but it's still going strong after two years. Got a great price on the bike, so I'd give it five flamin' chilis.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Truvative, Shimano XT & LX.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 3.

Submitted by 4130 a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    tough enough, 160lb rider bashing it on logs and anything else in the way, and haven't bent a chain ring yet.

Weaknesses:    CHAIN SUCK
anytime I would shift from the middle to the granny under even slight pressure I got terrible chain suck. used a file on the pins that are supposed to act as shift ramps. After smoothing out the pins i have had no other problems with it.

Bottom Line:
Affordable, but i wouldn't buy it aftermarket. Only reason i have it is because it came on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   lab

Purchased At:   Michael's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem x3 - K-force bar, Mavic 819 wheels

Submitted by Cvanliere a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    Good stock chainrings, good price

Weaknesses:    Stiffness

Bottom Line:
Got caught up in the name, XT cranks are ridiculously expensive. However, this model appears to be mold cast aluminum in China, the stiffness isn't there. Also if you're installing and it won't rotate on it's own, you'll need to remove a spacer ring on the BB (oops).
Good for commuter, but can't imagine being good XC crankset. Looks stronger than it is. Otherwise no major shifting problems. Probably not somethng Race Face should have put out.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Trulativ, Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   2005 Enduro

Submitted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul a Weekend Warrior from Mt. Penn,PA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    They seem to work like they were supposed to. Shifted well. No drag or friction was ever felt while spinning the cranks with the chain off. Never any BB issues.

Weaknesses:    Developed a small click but not too bad. This is my first bike so I don,t know how they should feel in terms of soft and flexy. I just ordered Shimano XT cranks on E-bay not because they need to be replaced but only because I am a bike addict and want a lot of new stuff on my bike. Noticed after some time that some of the bolts to hold the chainrings together came loose twice.

Bottom Line:
I have abused these cranks for almost 2 years now of rocky riding mostly on weekends and really can't complain about them they shifted real well and did me good. I see these cranks got pretty bad reviews so maybe well see after I get my new crank installed how different it is.

Favorite Trail:   Antietam, French Creek, Salisbury

Similar Products Used:   Wal-mart bike crank

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Deluxe 06 Fox RP23, Fox Talas 32 fork, Easton Havoc AM wheels, Kenda Nevegal DTC tires, all XT drivetrain (after the XT crank is put on)

Submitted by NOVARider a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, Virginia

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2008

Strengths:    Light, easy to put together, feels strong.

Weaknesses:    don't like the open left side of the crank. Looks un-finished and seem like it will be a dirt magnet.

Bottom Line:
So far so good. Seems bullet proof. No scratched up legs like some people complained about (are you knock kneed or ankled), haven't had to retighten things like some people complained about. Use a torque wrench like the instructions say I guess or hit the gym.

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   shimano stuff

Bike Setup:   1995 GT Rebound with Mavic rims, titec stem and hell bent bar, rock shox tora forks. Everything else stock since the bike is bulletproof.

Submitted by slap77 a Cross Country Rider from Mirabel

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Holds the pedals

Weaknesses:    It's on the market

Bottom Line:
This crankset came with the bike. Had chainsuck problems the first ride. I had to grind the huge pins on yhe middle chainring to solve the problem. There is a lot of friction in the BB it won't even move by itself when the chain is remove. My ankle constantly rub on the right crank arm.

If it was possible this product would have no chili at all.

Favorite Trail:   anything dry

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   XT, older Race Face DH

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X2

Submitted by lewdvig a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts well.

Weaknesses:    The drive side crank arm is sharp as it joins the spider. Technical rides and spills will have ankles looking like ground beef in no time. Skin is literally shaved off before your eyes.

Bottom Line:
Race Face why hast thou forsaken us? After at least a decade of riding their cranks, these will be my last. Clearly they have some bitten Chinese prison labor working in a Hell forge to make these demonic torture contraptions.

How about you bring back the Turbine design. You remember it Race Face, it was the one that did -not- suck.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Attached to my new b

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, Race Face Evolve

Submitted by Eric Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Saint michael, Minnesota.

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, creak free, pleasing to the eye, great price.

Weaknesses:    I do not see any yet these cranks are so much better than what I was running before.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to upgrade and you want bang for the buck, these are the way to go. I paid 39.00 for these and they work great with my setup. I did have to also upgrade my bottom bracket to ISIS but for the price I paid for these cranks that was a non issue considering how they solved a problem and gave a performance upgrade to boot.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail,dirt,rock,or pavement.

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano acera.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh SCM50 hardtail with SRAM upgrades, X7 shifters/rear derailleur LX front.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Worcester

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth, trouble free, look good, cheap

Weaknesses:    I don't know of any, but I've not experienced anything of a much higher quality to compare them with.

Bottom Line:
I only ride XC and proper mountain biking and this crankset has been going strong for me. They look nice, feel nice and smooth, no teeth have broken, gears shift nicely and it's all remained trouble free with no play. I'm yet to experience any high end RaceFace of XTR cranks, but I would recommend this to anyone who can get there hands on it at a good price and as a good alternative to an XT crankset.

I'm giving it 5 as I don't think I could get any better for the money, and there have been no problems for me to give it any lower.

Favorite Trail:   Wales

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Fox Talas RL forks and Float R shock, DT Swiss rims on Hope XC hubs, Formula Oro K24 brakes, Easton finishing kit, odi grips, DMR pedals, XT shadow rear mech/LX front, Panaracer tyres. Thats the bulk of it

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Sudbury, Ontario.

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    It's price is cheep, the arms look pretty cool, there pretty resiliant to wear, thay feel pretty good, they can handle alot of hard abuse.

Weaknesses:    Kinda soft feeling, like there not too solid. The chain rings seem pretty cheep. Some teeth have been lost, not many though.

Bottom Line:
Considering that these cranks are Race Face's cheepest option and are intended for xc and light use, I think that these have proven themselves to be respectively good cranks. I ride DH, i do alot of freerideing, all mountain stuff, and a bit of street. They've been through double diamond DH courses, a few 4' drops, some Dj's, brought up the hills, through the mountain tops, and almost every where else that you can ride and they haven't given me one problem for this year. I think that there pretty good. I want to upgrade to an atlas eventulally. I'd recomend hese if your on a budget and need a new, pretty good, crank.
(3 chilis on overall rating because there are alot better cranks than this out there. THeres nothing special about them, they just do their job like their saposed to)

Purchased At:   OutsideStore