Race Face Ride DH Crankset

• Speed: 9
  • Arm Length: 175mm

Submitted by Caleb

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Rigid, Good looking, Long lasting.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These cranks came on my STP and I love them, they look awesome, feel great, they've lasted for over 3 years with DH, XC, DJ and Street riding. I never put them on so weight never came to my mind. They do not flex at all and have never bent or cracked, still going strong and will continue for years to come.

Submitted by bmxking45 a Weekend Warrior from North Providence

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Burly, chromoly spindle, chromoly pedal inserts, did I mention burly?

Weaknesses:    Since these things are downhill cranks thru and through they are obviously gonna be heavy. Definitely not for the weight weenies!

Bottom Line:
I initially bought these cranks after I bent a pair of cranks (Truvativ Firex 1.1 single speed) that came with my specialized rockhopper SS. Immediately after getting them installed I noticed how much stiffer these cranks were than the previous ones. The power was going to the wheels immediately! I recently purchased a 2011 Banshee Rune and I had my LBS swap out the cranks that came with that bike (raceface evolve) with the raceface ride. I couldn't be happier with any crankset! I am very hard on my bikes and these things have seen some serious abuse without any complaints! The ride cranks also have an ano black finish which goes along with the whole scheme of my Rune (ano black) much better than the glossy painted raceface evolves that came with the bike.

I cant really comment on the BB of these cranks just yet either only because they haven't seen and extended amount of riding just yet. What I can say is that they stopped the creaking that was coming from the EBB that I had on the specialized so I guess that is just another point that I add to the scorecard!

All in all you really cant beat these cranks for the price especially if you want something that can take some hammering!

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Woods

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Evolve

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune

Submitted by gbosbiker a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    really stiff, and easy to put on and take off. really smooth bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    i bought these on a bike from a guy, and the pedal was frozen inside the insert. the insert snapped off inside the crank arm.

Bottom Line:
they are good cranks, as long as you take care of the pedal insert. put some grease on it so it wont freeze in it. they will be my next cranks when i get new ones. i just need to me smart with the pedals. the inserts are not supposed to come loose.

i would reccommend these cranks to anyone that wants nice stiff cranks without costing them an arm and a leg..

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   truativ hussefelt

Bike Setup:   felt jumpshot

Submitted by crowmosly a Weekend Warrior from Guthrie, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Very Rigid, Price

Weaknesses:    I think mine has started to creak just a little...

Bottom Line:
These are some really stiff cranks, made my stock truvativ's feel like suspension. There kinda heavy, but they are cheap(comparatively). They seem to be creaking a little now, not sure if its the arms or the bearing cups, but i'll just have to deal with it i guess...

Favorite Trail:   Back Yard

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Stock Hardrock stuff, wore them out..

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardrock 2007, Hayes HFX9 XC V8, Race Face Ride Dh Cranks, Marzocchi Exr pro air 2005, Cane Creek S-8 Headset, Cane Creek thudbuster, Sette Stumpy Stem, Sette Duo Bars.

Submitted by kgunzer a Downhiller from Sydney, NSW

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    Strong beefy arms intended for DH/FR bombing, stiff pedal inserts so the arms won't buckle on hard landings; Super silky smooth bottom bracket set and very strong ISIS crank shaft.

Weaknesses:    need lighter and burlier bash guard like E13; Also needs a galvanized non fading finish like the 2009 Hozfeller line (it's non-aging).

Bottom Line:
DH/FR bikes looks don't matter (you just don't look at it when riding), it's ride-ability that counts (the feel factor that something is all solid and well built can't be paid for by money... it has to be earned by manufacturers from the rider).

Stay tough, and worry about looks later (the bike might look ugly, but you can make it damn look good).

:D

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo/Manly Dam

Purchased At:   Farkin.net

Similar Products Used:   Truvative Hozfeller OCT cranks

Bike Setup:   Giant Glory DH1, Rockshox Boxxer Team, Sun Ringle wheels (Double Wide rims, Abbah-Lawill hubs, DT Swiss Super-Comp spokes), Anchor brakeset, Saint Derailleur shifters

Submitted by Jason Pepper a Downhiller from Ottawa ON

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    looks great, awsome proformence, smooth petaling

Weaknesses:    haven't have one yet.

Bottom Line:
great crank, not as good as the diablous, but for the price you can't go wrong, try it out you'll see what i mean

Favorite Trail:   woodlot

Purchased At:   ebay.ca

Similar Products Used:   hussefelt, evolve dh

Bike Setup:   norco vps aline, drop off triples, ride dH, x9 drive train, deemax, hadley, manitou metel

Who wants to ride lifts access DH Bro style this 4th

Hey all. Still kinda new to the area and looking for some bros who are trying to get down with Trestle or Keystone (or any of the others) this 4th and/or this weekend. Hit me up if you want to join. I'll likely be leaving Broomfield ~8AM to get breakfast at the park and get all signed in by the t ... Read More »

Solo DH rider going to Snow Summit Mon. July 1st, Wanna Ride?

Hi everyone! I am coming to Cali from AZ by myself and will be making a playstop at Snow Summit on Monday July 1st. I would love to have a local to go riding with and show me the ropes at the bike park. I will be bringing my DH bike and will only be able to ride one day, so I would like to ride the ... Read More »

Looking for DH chicks to ride with in CO

I live in Denver and lost my riding partner due to injury last year. I'm looking for other cool chicks to ride with. I'll have a Trestle pass but also want to hit Keystone and SolVista.Read More »

Looking for DH chics to ride with in CO

I live in Denver, lost my bike partner due to injury last year. I'll have a Trestle pass this season but also want to go to SolVista and Keystone a few times. Need another cool chic or chicks to shred some trails with!Read More »

Opinion: Aggressive DH Riders Need To Ride This Phoenix Trail

Got an opinion about Phoenix DH trails for agressive riders? Ride this: Phoenix trail on Google Maps currently shown as a bicycling trail on Camelback Mtn. [url]https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=33.511629,-111.962528&spn=0.059541,0.07493&t=p&z=14&lci=bike[/url] Read More »