Race Face Prodigy XC Crankset Crankset

3.67/5 (63 Reviews)

In its second full year of production, the Prodigy XC delivers a performance cross country specific crank to the budget minded XC rider. The XC is precision forged and CNC machined form 6061 aluminum and has been re-styled to offer increased stiffness while shaving grams off. ISIS drive with patented S.H.I.F.T. technology. Available with 4-bolt pattern. Lengths: 170, 175mm. Chainrings: 22/32/44T. Black, Silver, White, Red. 850g

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Look good, stiff

Weaknesses:    Would be nice to have a replaceable pedal thread insert, although these come with their own issues like the inserts coming out with the pedals.

Bottom Line:
Recently stripped the pedal threads out of the non drive side crank arm. I'm sure it was my fault as it was right after a pedal swap. I emailed the Raceface customer service and was quickly replied to by Devyn in their customer service department. After several emails back and forth he looked through some old stock he had laying around and found a replacement arm that will work. This is many years after the warranty ran out. Top-notch customer service.

As for the cranks, up until the stripped threads I have had no problems. I'm a big guy at 6'5" 200+ lbs. and ride a lot of rocky trails, so the cranks have taken a beating but have held up great. They're a clean simple design that looks great on my bike. I will be purchasing more Raceface products in the future.

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Acworth, GA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, durable. Good price, when I bought them.

Weaknesses:    Stock rings wear out kinda quick. ISIS interface wears out after more than 3 years. Actually, that's not too bad. Better than tapered.

Bottom Line:
These cranks have been a main-stay on my bikes for years. They are stiff for the type of riding I do. The only thing I can find fault with is the stock rings. The middle (where I'm at most of the time anyways) wore out after about 1 year, and never really shifted too great. Replaced with an LX ring, and has been great ever since. Shifting is better than ever. After years of riding them, the ISIS interface is finally starting to round out. I can completely take the crank off of the bottom bracket without a tool! They were great while they lasted, but it's time to move on.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Been so long, I don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   '04 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, LX drivetrain, Hayes HFX Discs, Fox F100 RL

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Simple strong and light design. Stiff crankarms. Durable after two years of all mountain pounding.

Weaknesses:    Stock rings a little soft

Bottom Line:
These cranks are exactly what they are advertised to be...a budget XC crank with reasonable performance. Not expecting top of the line performance...just solid performance and that is what they have given me for two years. The stock rings shifted good but wore out a little quick (though no as quick as my XT rigs did!). Yes its true that Shimano rings will not fit (they will and do after a little Dremel tool action...I'm running a Shimano middle ring right now)...but Shimano rings also don't fit many non-Shimano cranksets including other RF and Truvativ cranks. Typical Shimano!

Bottom line...they are a budget crankset that work at the level that would be expected at their price range.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   2002 Shimano XT, 2004 Truvativ Hussfelts

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis XLT with mods including a 22/36/Bashguard on these cranks)

Submitted by RZ a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    looks good, strong, fairly light

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This product is really strong for XC purpose. I've used it for more than 2 years with more than 2000 offroad miles on it and it still as good when it was new. Just give a nice lubricant on your chain and the chainring will last forever.

Purchased At:   Pedro Pitshop

Similar Products Used:   Deore,xtr

Bike Setup:   xtc team,Race Face Prodigy XC Crankset,xtr,bb7,thomson,easton flatbar, rs recon,etc..

Submitted by RobeQ a Cross Country Rider from Croatia

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    looking good....

Weaknesses:    lot of noise after 2 months of use and the left crank wear out if you force it in jumps......

Bottom Line:
If you go on dust and dry off roads expect the noise very quickly.... 2 times my left crank fell of ... I had to screw it that almost smash it... It's not for hard driving and all conditions.... but anyway, cleaning it and some grease add fix the problem and checking the cranks by screwing from time to time .... also the price is good..

Favorite Trail:   All around

Similar Products Used:   some.... shimano lx,shimano xt

Bike Setup:   kona blast, dirt jumper, sun rims, xt, deore

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Cherry Hill, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    Shifting has been fine with 4 yrs. use. Am now changing rings for 3rd set. They wear out just like anything else, especially when you don't keep a fresh chain on the bike like I didn't. The crank arms are stiff and have taken some really hard shots on rocks, tree roots, etc. with no adverse effects. Removing them is easy, but don't forget to take the washer out before using the crank removing tool. They are aluminum and will strip out if you forget to remove the washer inside first.

Weaknesses:    My only complaint is that the crank arms are only compatible with Race Face rings. I tried to install XT rings and they don't fit the crank arms. Uniformity would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Nice product, but have yet to find an LBS that I can walk into and by rings for off the shelf. I have to take away a couple of chilis for that

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there's single track

Purchased At:   Came on Santa Cruz Frameset

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT

Bike Setup:   '02 Santa Cruz Superlight - Marzzochi XFly100 fork, Fox Float rear shock, FSA bars & stem, Avid Mech. disc brakes,
Mavic 223 disc rims with XT hubs.

Submitted by ken a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    $, shift well

Weaknesses:    quick wear,noise!!!

Bottom Line:
I've had 3 BB's and 2 sets of rings in 4 years. Thats more trouble than they are worth. I weigh 230 and ride some big hills so they do get mashed alot so they did some moderate use. The final straw came when I tried to pull the crank arm and the only thing that pulled was all of the threads. Plus they squawk constantly. Hope yours work better than mine did. Buy it if money is the main issue but plan on replacement.

Favorite Trail:   any single track that's not flat

Purchased At:   came w/bike

Similar Products Used:   LX,XT

Bike Setup:   mostly stock Giant NRS

Submitted by Scott Simpson a Cross Country Rider from Sanford, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    Customer service from factory, these guys are really on the ball. I cannot believe the comments below. If you have a problem contact these guys, and they will do anything possible to help you out.

Weaknesses:    Not one single thing. I had to contact the factory because I screwed the crank arm up on install. I offered to pay to have it remachined and they hooked it up for FREE! You will never get this kind of personal service from Shimano.

Bottom Line:
Shimano has the componentry dialed in excecpt for cranks. Here is where Race Face fills the gap. I chose one of there cheaper lines for my bike. I bet the better ones are just that. YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO INSTALL DIRECTIONS. If this is done properly these babys are bullet proof. These tanks below me probably just threw things together and then blamed the product for their mistakes. There is only one choice for cranksets: RACE FACE.

Favorite Trail:   Ocala's threesome

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hollowtech, XT cranksets. I have these on my spare "guest bikes" and have to retourque them every time we ride. No good.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse HT, Rockshok, Chris King, Mavic, Avid, Full XT with RACE FACE KICK A#$% CRANKS!

Submitted by Damian from Notts

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Good
Feels Solid

Weaknesses:    Weak if you buy a Square Taper,

Bottom Line:
Good if you get an isis probaly wont snap like my Taper version did,The taper stared to come lose tightened it so it was tight again did a 4ft drop and snap,

If you want to do xc get a Shimano LX Hollowtech there much stronger and far better

Similar Products Used:   LX,XT,

Submitted by zanq a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Looks nice, decent price

Weaknesses:    Weak spider, short warranty (?)

Bottom Line:
After ~1.5 years of mild to moderate riding, the 4-arm spider warped just enough to create a der. adjustability problem. I'm 6'1" and 165 lb. riding in flat MI so I'm not a huge masher with big climbs tearing up my equipment. I'm attempting to see if a warranty claim can be made but the LBS has refused to even TRY to call Raceface. The OE Shimano crankset on my 1990 Schwinn has lasted 16 yrs. with a ton-o-miles and this warped only a little over a year? Buy it if you just want to say you have Raceface cranks, buy something else if you actually want them to work. I dropped some bigger cash for Middleburn cranks. The LBS issue is isolated from Raceface, but only 1 chilly for ~1 year of usable service.

Purchased At:   CambriaBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Middleburn RS7

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob XC, hand selected components

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Malibu, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    CHEAPER than XT. Seem to be durable so far.

Weaknesses:    NONE YET.

Bottom Line:
Cheaper then XT and comparable(or better) quality. For the money I will buy raceface over shimano any day. Who wants to pay $200 for a used set of XTR or XT cranks when you can get new ones for less. So far I have had no problem with losing chainring teeth (unlike on XT). Cranks are always a pain in the butt and get worn out, but for the $ these are what to buy.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   XT, RACEFACE turbine LP

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Pro Full suspension, Marzocchi marathon XC, XTR (except raceface cranks).

Submitted by Andres a Cross Country Rider from Los Cabos

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    They are too weak, I have had them for less than a month and the inner ring bent on a very easy uphill and with out forcing it.

Bottom Line:
Don´t buy this stuff if you pretend to ride a lot, or if you prefere long lasting rides than racing

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimanos

Bike Setup:   Kona

Submitted by Chris Price a Weekend Warrior from Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    um, Canadian? But that may be too much of a strength for this crap ass company.

Weaknesses:    Too soft

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line eh? Well lets see, I have had a pair for both of my bikes.

On my Klein I managed to strip the pedals out of both arms. All I do is ride xc style trails and race xc with this bike. Never done a drop with this bike, and I WAS using the metal pedals washers, and I only use one pair of pedals.

On my DMR Trailstar I Bent the left arm and rounded out the ISIS hole. This was caused by, well I don't know, I was riding home from a Shore style trail and felt itreally loose. I geuss it just happened over time.

As for the right arm on the DMR I did a hudge 2 and a half foot drop, resaulting in a cracked arm and a stripped pedal hole. Once again I WAS using the supplied pedal washers.

Race Face would not warrenty anything, they said the arms on my Klein were wrecked due to switching pedals alot, which is NOT true. And the Arms on my DMR were rejected since they were installed on a bike the is know for having the wheels leave the ground at one point or another. I weigh 170 pounds, land quite smoothly and have not done a drop larger then say 4 foot. I would say only buy these if you have a bike with hudge amounts of travel and you only do drops under 5 feet.

I also have a Race Face Real Seal Headset on my klein, which for $150 I don't think should bind up when you turn left. I did send it back, they replaced the top part of the top cup, but it only fixxed it a bit. I also had 2 RF BB's for my klein in 3 months. They had loosened up and the bearings came out like dust. I bought the RF Aquanot Jacket and the RF Free Ride vest, the zippers fell off of both in about 2 months. They said too bad.

Now you may be thinking this guy is just a masher and is probly one of thoes 13 year old kids who just don't know anything. But no, I have been riding for 8 years, rarly have problems with any parts, only wear and tear. I ride about 20 or more hours a week, have worked at several shops, and made the 2002 Bianchi National team. I know a quality part when I see one. And I havent seen one from RF yet.
DON'T BUY FROM RACE FACE.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Path