Race Face Next SL Carbon Crankset

2.93/5 (15 Reviews)

The NEXT SL crank representsThe next generation of Race Face carboncranks. Weighing in at a category leading, 650 grams, Next SL cranks arethe lightest, strongest 100% carbon fiber MTB cranks ever made. RaceFace has created a crankThat goes beyond existing carbon material &process limitations, setting a new benchmark in performance XCcomponents. Hollow carbon fiber crankarms Superlight, CNC machined 6AL-4VTitanium BB spindle AlloyT-30Torx hardware Includes all newTurbine BB, factory filled w

Submitted by Maxlude

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Strengths:    Light, stiff, look cool, no shifting issues at all on RF Team rings, Shimano XT front mech, XTR rear mech and chain and shifters.

Weaknesses:    Longevity

Bottom Line:
2009 RF Next SL Chainset:
Had these as original equipment on my 2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude. This bike has done around 2500 XC miles - not big jumps or drop-offs.They've felt great whilst they lasted. The last few months have shown the deficiencies in 2009 year carbon fibre manufacturing techniques. Firstly I found a crack in the bike frame (I am 175lbs with kit) on the seat tube which looked like it was originating from the chainstay pivot. Thankfully Rocky Mountain sent me a whole new frame inc rear shock with no hassle apart from me having to strip and rebuild the bike.
Yesterday I noticed that my pedals seemed to be 'wobbly' and thought they were just loose so tried to tighten them. Turns out the thread insert in the crank arm for both pedals have a lot of fore and aft movement and that the cranks are pretty much junk now. Big shame.
Was going to replace with some RF Turbine SL as I do like the RF Next SL seatpost, bars and stem but they are expensive and I am disappointed in the cranks so I'm thinking I may just bang on some Shimano XT. Not so trick looking but at least I know they will not fall apart.

Bike Setup:   2009 RMB Altitude 90RSL, Fox32RLC, Fox FLOAT RP23, Mavic Crossmax SLR, Formula R1, RF Next SL Seatpost, Bars, Chainset, Shimano XT FMech, XTR RMech, XT Cassette

Submitted by Simon

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    light. that's all.

Weaknesses:    broke after less than one month. No warranty. Total crap.

Bottom Line:
the crankset broke at the eyelets were the chainring are bolted.
i'm a 69kg rider, and the crankset was installed on my xc hardtail bike.
their customer service is terrible. no warranty, they don't want to know anything. they only answered my emails when i started to threaten them to put pictures of my broken crankset all over the internet.
anyway, they told me that there was no warranty for that. that's more or less their polite version of "f*** off !".
this company is a joke.
I will never buy race face products again.

Submitted by Phister a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, carbon feels so good.

Weaknesses:    Weak design

Bottom Line:
I maybe have 10 or 15 rides on these cranks. On my latest outing I got out of the saddle to climb and snap! All four holes where the bolts attach the cranks to the chainring broke right through. I see another reviewer had the same problem. Seems like a clear design issue. We'll see if the warranty comes though on them. Meanwhile, I'm left with my DH rig.

Otherwise I loved these cranks the light weight is awesome the weight distribution is also perfect. If you do case a crank or pedal on a rock the carbon has a nice dead feel which takes the sting out of the impact. It just looks like they can't take the forces delivered from a single-speed.

Favorite Trail:   lol

Purchased At:   sshhhh

Similar Products Used:   lots of aluminum cranks, no other carbon cranks

Bike Setup:   superfly single-speed

Submitted by syncros a Weekend Warrior from scottsdale,az

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    they creaked after 3 months, then started to knock at 6 months, so i change the bottom bracket with no avail, pulled crank off and found that the spindle is loose at the chainrings

Bottom Line:
alot of money, and raceface wont get back to me and now it's out of warranty, thats probably why they dont get back to you. no customer service. no answering the phone, no reply to emails. will never buy raceface products again. i wish i could give it no chili's

Favorite Trail:   anything on mt' elden

Purchased At:   jenson.com

Similar Products Used:   xt

Submitted by noshortcuts a Weekend Warrior from bay area, ca

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff, smooth, reliable.

Weaknesses:    fairly highcost

Bottom Line:
I love these. Based on my experience I'm surprised to see others have had quality problems.

Similar Products Used:   FSA carbon, middleburn, xtr...

Bike Setup:   Mojo set up with Next SL 2x9 (bash guard instead of 3rd ring) and xtr cassette out back.

Submitted by virginiadave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Weight and stiffness

Weaknesses:    Pedal threads

Bottom Line:
Great crankset - until the threaded areas for pedal attachment loosened in the crank arms. One pedal went crooked and I took it off and threads in the arm were just floating around in the drive side arm. Then checked other side and same thing but not as bad. Very disappointing to say the least. Would not buy again.

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and SRAM

Bike Setup:   Moots Mooto X YBB.

Submitted by Rodeo a Cross Country Rider from Roswell, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff Stiff Stiff... Smooth and silly light. It spins like butter and accelerates my Burner harder than ever before.

Weaknesses:    The clearcoat on the cranks near the feet tend to get marred up. A bit of clear vinyl should take care of that issue.

Bottom Line:
It's my first external BB and its amazingly smooth, and stiff. I had to run the 51mm chainline offset.

RaceFace Warrantied a way past warranty crank for me. They were going to replace it all free, but I chose to pay a few extra dollars to upgrade (Glad I did). RaceFace Rocks customer service.

Bottom Line: Beautiful, light, stiff cranks that shift great.

Favorite Trail:   Brush Creek

Purchased At:   RaceFace Warranty

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, RaceFace Turbine LP ISIS.

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, Fox both ends, Nevegals, Avid Mechs

Submitted by bigstach a Racer from Wroclaw

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
After 500km of ride i realize that i have 2 big cracks one the right crank arm ( next to the chainring bolt)

Submitted by milkmanmarce a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, stiff and strong

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These have held up to all my XC, AM and even a few Shore rides. I run them with a 22/32/bash setup. I asked Race Face about going 1x9 and they said that I need to run some special bolts (that now come with the cranks), or just run the single ring with a bash. This was obviously the issue with the guy below...Overall these have exceeded all my expecations. Super light, stiff and strong. I guess the only weakness is that they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for!

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Very light

Weaknesses:    Breaks very easily

Bottom Line:
The crankset broke all 4 eyelets were the chainring are bolted when I was climbing out of the saddle up a steep technical climb. This of course left me without a functioning drivetrain, some 20km from my car. I'm 83kg and an aggressive XC rider, but cranksets should be able to withstand me pedalling up a technical climb... I use a torque wrench to install chainrings etc therefore I am certain that there was simply a material defect in this crankset.

Similar Products Used:   XT/XTR cranksets. FSA Carbon team crankset

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance Advanced SL X 0. These cranks came stock on the bike. I was running a 1x9 setup with 32t Gamut chainring

Submitted by Spokes572 a Weekend Warrior from pleasanton, ca

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light, looks great

Weaknesses:    I had a faulty one - early production unit
Graphics look cheesey - but the Y10 graphics look worse

Bottom Line:
I installed and immediately notices a knock when peddling. A slight movement when crank arm under a load. Their website never mentioned any issue so I installed a new bottom bracket and still had a knock. Took to bike shop and they replaced peddles and chain and still knock. They then removed and installed crank and still knock. Then I said that possibly the arm insert for the bottem bracket is moving and sure enough that was the problem. I called RaceFace and they agreed that the initial units were defective and would honor a replacement. The store took so long for the replacement that I eventually asked for my money back. The Y10 are out now and the graphics look so cheesey that I am not sure what I am going to do. I am waiting to see the Y10 FSA units and then make a decision as to what to buy. This was an expensive trial and error to find the problem at the bike shop over $300 fee so I am not so happy about the entire experiance.

Favorite Trail:   Skaggs - SF CA

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace Duex

Bike Setup:   NRS Carbon - XO, all carbon components, SL rims, Juicy Ultimates,

Submitted by TeamHuffy a Racer from California

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Looks cool. Lighter and stiffer than XTR.

Bottom Line:
These cranks came stock on my new Turner Flux Pro. They are killer. Bye bye XTR! They might not be cheap, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Evolve, FSA Carbon Pro

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux Pro

Submitted by Slowup a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Typically wonderfull shifting & wear chacteristics, light & blingy.

Weaknesses:    Kinda cheesy graphics

Bottom Line:
I have had zero issues with these cranks so it appears the new grease & seals are doing their job, they are also the typically crisp shifting and long wearing Raceface rings I love so much, they're also light & stiff and seem to be able to take a pounding.

Favorite Trail:   Switchback