Race Face Next LP Crankset

4.53/5 (123 Reviews)

Forged and CNC machined heat treated aluminum shell with carbon reinforcement. Hallow tubular spider and removable, replaceable chainring tabs. PC = Powdercoat. This is the first crank to effectively interface the high impact strength of aluminum and the virtually infinite fatigue life of carbon fiber. Weight: 650g/1.43lb

Submitted by Grant a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2014

Strengths:    Feel the dampening in chatter
light

Weaknesses:    5 bolt (not much comparability with anything else)
BB is not compatible with chainguide

Bottom Line:
Overall these are great cranks, but the compatability with other products would turn me away if I had to buy again.I weigh 140lbs

Favorite Trail:   rim trail, tahoe lake

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Xtr, ride dh raceface, deore xt, raceface ride xc

Bike Setup:   2005 heckler xtr lyrik and king hubs

Submitted by grainger a Cross Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    THIS CRANK IS KILLER IT CAN HANDLE ANYTHING

Weaknesses:    NON

Bottom Line:
U CAN STILL BUY 1 BUY IT

Favorite Trail:   all and anything

Purchased At:   t and l

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   KHS904R WITH THE BEST OF THE BEST

Submitted by Phantomtracer a Cross Country Rider from Philly, PA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Bottom braket durability, chain rings do not last

Bottom Line:
I bought these when they just came out and have recently replaced them with XTR. The bottom braket has been replaced four times, because the bearings keep getting wasted, yes I lubed them with bearing grease and I ride Cross Country no drops. The bottom bracket would always require a second tightening after having been reassembled, I used a torque wrench but it wouldn't matter. The ISIS interface will loosen up if you have to take the cranks apart to replace the bottom brackets. The carbon fiber is a big marketing scam, it doesn't do anything and infact is only a few pieced that are glued into the cutouts. The chain rings were quickly, and they are not cheap. The first chain ring was defective (a rivit was installed to close to the edge causing a tooth to break off) I had to send Race Face the chain ring for Warranty, the whole process took approx. 3 months!! I bought a replacement so I could ride but what good is a warranty if you have to waint 3 months, good thing it wasn't a bad crank. Overall, I am very dissappointed. Race Face has already abandoned this technology it seems like they always copy Shimano but they cannot execute like the big S can. What really gets me is I spent over 300 dollars in bottom bracket replacements, I should have given up on Race Face a long time ago. Don't waste your money.

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer

Submitted by font9a ninea a Cross Country Rider from austin

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    light. strong. good looks. tradiional mainentance.

Weaknesses:    i broke the non-drive side crank 3 years ago... I've been riding it ever since, and never noticed the difference.

There are lot of little parts you have to take apart to de-grease and regrease after ever ride. Invest in a 5mm ratchet and a chainring bolt holder (the 2007 shimanos use a torx, while everone else still uses that wierd split screwdriver with a boston in the middle.) Anyways, invest int the right tools and everything will be a cinch.

I would rather rider FSA, Crank Bros, Next than shimano -- however, Shimano makes the best XTR crankset on the market now... hands down.

I want the little guy to get a cult following and win against the japanse tidal wave... but so far they've all left me wondering why their products even compete against shimano.

Maybe in the downhill market the crank bros will win... and maybe in the XC race dept the Race Face will win... But these guys (especially raceface and crank bros) need to make an exernal bearing set the exeeds all XTR metrics and is simpler to adjust and cheaper to replace parts on.

Japan -- I hope you get your ass kicked here. I've wanted American or Swedich cranks ever since redline flicht cranks dissappeared.

- f9a

Bottom Line:
I love the hollowtech design.

I want a crankset as simple as the Redline Flights at lower weight than the XTRS and at half the price. Am I asking too much? Or maybe just half the weight or profiles, but still accept a tripple.

Heck, I love the new XTRs so much if you made every ring out of Ti ad Carbon, I just buy abother set.

Favorite Trail:   lone star

Purchased At:   swap for my XTR kit

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Maverick Durance... custom high end build

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Strong and light. Durable and reliable.

Weaknesses:    After 4 years of ownership the only weekness that I see is the little Carbon fiber stickers come off. yes those are stickers I guess the carbon is inside. the sticker cover up a little hole and that is about it.

Bottom Line:
I bought these taper lock cranks in 2003 when isis cranks were flooding the market. they were 2002 model on closeout. after 4 years of ownership I finally wore out the middle chain ring. It was a 110x34t. Had to go salsa Race face does not make this size anymore. I lost a bolt also. I am on my third bottom bracket, second set of rims, fourth seatpost, and forgot how many chains and cassettes. I guess ISIS is superior but these taperlocks have stood the test of time. I have a feeling that I am going to have to upgrade when they stop making high end taper lock bottom brackets. When i do I will buy race face again.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Sram X.0 drivetrain. Fox Fork, Mavic Crossmax

Submitted by MJ a Cross Country Rider from Oakland,ME USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, stiff, looks very cool when new

Weaknesses:    Expensive, No longer available new

Bottom Line:
I have had these cranks on both my full suspension rides for the last 4+ years with no problems. I am heavy (200lbs) and ride hard and these cranks have been great. I pulled them off the GT this season because I have logged a lot of miles on them. These are carbon fiber components after all and have a expected lifespan just like handlebars and seatposts. I would buy more if I could find them, but would not suggest used ones unless I knew the age and history. Any part that lasts 5+ years on one of my bikes is quality.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Notch

Purchased At:   LBS (employee purchase)

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Next ISIS, XT octalink, XTR octalink, Travativ

Bike Setup:   Fuel 98 custom build, IDrive Race custom build

Submitted by John R. a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light due to composite body

Weaknesses:    Week dure to composite material

Bottom Line:
I only weigh 157 lbs and I guarantee that I dont put out the watts that some pro riders do. Never the less I snaped the left crank arm during an exceleration and went down hard, fractured elbow road rash and etc.. I have been racing for about 8 years and this is the first crank arm I ever broke. I was lucky where it occured since in some of the areas I ride it could have been fatal. Do yourself a favor and sell these cranks if you own them. Also a friend of mind that owned the Turbine cranks broke one at the pedal. He only weighs 147lbs!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in CO

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT and other Race face cranks

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel, Fox FX 80 SPV Rear etc....

Submitted by solarity a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, strong, durable and sexy.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Why don't they make these anymore!!! Just goes to show that good things never last! These puppies have been through hell and back and then back again and many times over. Over five years of use and abuse and they are still going strong. I have slammed these cranks into solid rock many times over as I ride technical, rocky trails in the northeast, they have been through mud, snow, water and many spectacular crashes and they still keep ticking. HELLO RACEFACE!!! BRING THESE CRANKS BACK!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood, Sourland

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Shimano

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Scarborough,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    looks, strenght, weight, spline

Weaknesses:    paint scruff off, raceface decal gone in 3 rides

Bottom Line:
stiff and light. Looks good when new. No complain but could be better if Raceface would sell the decal. For those people who said the carbon is only stickers, I think you got a fake one. It does have carbon insert!

Favorite Trail:   3 Stage

Purchased At:   brought used from friend

Similar Products Used:   coda

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hard tail, lefty, crossmax sl, full XTR except crankset and rings, FSA BB, Hayes hydrolics....etc

Submitted by Matt Cooper from Midwest and Georgia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    THE BEST! Screw outboard cranksets, octalink, and Isis!!
Super light, super stiff, look good, incredibly sturdy!

Weaknesses:    Not a damn thing!

Bottom Line:
Ths is my second review because I LOVE thse cranks! I swapped out my flexxy Synacros BB with a sexxy World Class Ti BB and I can detect very little flex (about the same as a good Isis setup)... They aren't as stiff as the new oubaord designs... but I enjoy not burning through BB cups, being able to adjust my chainline, and not having to buy new tools. I havent had a single squeek, grind, or wobble out of my crank setup. And I am a rider who mashes the pedals, and Ive broken nearly every crank Ive ever had! I've ridden these cranks everyday for the last 9 months. They refuse to fail! I love them so much I'm putting them on my touring bike this summer for a 1000 mile ride...
Race Face needs to bring back these cranks! They are the BEST!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, outboard crap, Cannondale Coda cranks (pretty good), heavy Truvativ stuff, Bontrager Isis stuff

Bike Setup:   Magnesium rigid singlespeed w/ World Class Ti Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Alan Bush a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, NZ

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light, good looking, functional

Weaknesses:    Carbon inserts are just Decals

Bottom Line:
What's with the carbon "inserts" being decals?? When I purchased these cranks I was under the impression that the carbon bitties in the cranks went all the way through. Now, after a year of use, I've noticed the carbon bits are merely stickers that will peel off over time. Another posting below mentioned this - and I'm pretty sure they're not fakes!
That aside, the cranks are brilliant and work well, but I'm a little "miffed" that I was a little misled!

Favorite Trail:   Port Hills

Purchased At:   Washington Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager & XT

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider, Carbon bitties, pretty shiny things, FX100 Forks, other shizzle components

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Rockton, IL

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2005

Strengths:    Really Really light, even comparred to todays standards. Seem very strong. Make a great singlespeed crank using the middle ring or the bottom ring. Removable chainring tabs. Good ole trusty square taper! Cool carbon look.

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy, but I have it paired with a Synacros titanium bottom bracket, so its probably more the bb. The stovk inner chainring is steel and is heavy, replace it.

Bottom Line:
Seems like a wonderful crank. It's old, its used, and it still kicks ass. I've burned through Shimano octalink crap and didn't feel liek shelling out a ton of cash for a reliable and light outboard crankset, so I got this and I haven't had a single problem.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   used on ebay

Similar Products Used:   XTR M952, XT, Strongarm 2, Coda Expert

Bike Setup:   Litech Magnesium hardtail/singlespeed. XTR/517 wheels w/ Kenda Kozmik Lite II's. Manitou Mars 1/Cannondale aluminum rigid. Easton EA70 stem and carbon bar. Eggbeaters. Thompson. Avocet Ti saddle. SRAM X.9 transmission when not a single.

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from castro valley CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    weight
looks
rigidity

Weaknesses:    paint fades quickly. I have silver and have noticed that paint job does not stick well. Should be made in a polished finish as well

Bottom Line:
nice cranks, really need a better pain job though

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX,Caramba

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe, GT Zaskar LE

Submitted by Lance Schober a Cross Country Rider from Vail, CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    From all the great things I have heard I have not put these on my bike yet, but there is a reason. Buyers beware.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if these are a knock off or these are what was manufactured from race face like this. If so It was a perfect job. The "Cabon Fiber Core" are stickers. The stickers are carbon, but they are only a couple of mm thick. Not incompassing the whole core of the crank. When I told bike mechanic freind that I got these cranks that I have wanted for ever he told me that all the next lp's he has worked on have all been stickers of carbon fiber were there should be a whole core. I was shocked, knowing the quality of my previous race face components in the past have always been very good. To my dismay, I went home and examined the pedals mo closely. Sure enough, the carbon on this pedals were indeed stickers! Bummer. anyhow hopefuly these are not what race face put out and these are fakes. but buyer beware and these people did a hell of a job making these look perfect.

Bottom Line:
I have writen a letter to race face to see if they know who has fabricated these and that they are aware themselves. They have not responded yet but I am anxiously awaiting a response. So, be careful of these cranks. Needless to say I have not put these cranks on my bike as I have no idea if they will hold up to what the real cranks say they will do. I just want to make people aware that these imposters are out there and they look like the real thing. At least I did not pay full price for these.

Favorite Trail:   the grand traverse vail mt. back bowls

Purchased At:   79

Similar Products Used:   race face turbine lp, shimano xt.

Bike Setup:   giant cmc team carbon hard tail. all sram with rock shox sid world cup. race face turbine lp cranks, system stem and head set

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Light and and very Stiff. Cool colors.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of... Oh wait, I snapped the drive side crank arm in half...

Bottom Line:
I have used these cranks without fail for the past 3+ years on a weekly basis. They are light and extraordinarily stiff. I was just peddling along a few days ago when "POP" the drive side crank arm snapped clean in two. I managed to bail out and immediately ran to check on my maim bicycle... I have initiated the warranty process with Race Face and all seems to be going well thus far. In retrospect, this is an excellent product, it just couldn't handle the power!!! Only 4 chilis overall since it broke.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Truvative.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher, XTR, Mavic, Marzocchi

Raceface next lp chain rings

Where can I get them ? Hate to buy new cranks. Running Isis system.Read More »

Race Face Next LP - Chain ring inserts

Alright, I am such a bone head. Somehow I ended up losing one of the chainring inserts that holds the outer ring on with a Race Face Next Lp crankset. I have been working on removing the paint and am preparing to polish and have discovered that I am missing one of the inserts that the outer ring b ... Read More »

Next LP Chainring Insert

Race Face Next LP - a little help needed

I just picked up a set of Next LP arms and they were advertised as 74/110, I have also noticed that there are 58/94 Next LP arms as well. What is the difference? Is one an older configuration maybe an 8 speed model? What is a brief history on these cranks? Is there any weight difference betwee ... Read More »

Next LP - removing the paint

:confused: Ok, I just picked up a set of Next LP cranks but their yellow! :eekster: I am gonna try and remove the paint and I am hoping someone here has done this. I am totally new at doing something like this so I need a little directions. This is the begining of my first WW project other than ... Read More »