Race Face Evolve XC Crankset

2.99/5 (74 Reviews)

From the forged in logos and post finish machining on the crank arms and chainrings to the high end features usually reserved for cranks twice the price, The Evolve XC finally brings some drool factor to the budget oriented, performance crankset market.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2012

Strengths:    Looks seriously good! Nice CNC finish on mine with the silver cranks. Pretty lightweight, but seem beefy enough.

Weaknesses:    As everyone else says - the spline design is just really bad and causes all sorts of problems.

Bottom Line:
My cranks were 2nd hand so I can't really judge fairly, but the previous owner had (as far as I can understand it) started torquing the bolt when the cranks were not engaged squarely with the spline? Something like that - anyway, there seems to be a problem with the interface and some gouging on the chainset splines. I can get it on a bit but then have to really torgue the bolt to get them further on until it becomes too hard to go any further and they have still not bottomed out - about 3mm left visible on the axle splines. I may try the spacer idea someone else mentioned and have the cranks further apart than they are supposed to be.

Can't recomend them though from the spline problems. Saying that, I picked them up for £30!

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Atlas AM,

Bike Setup:   Scott G-Zero Team Issue RC frame with Psylo Race forks.

Submitted by jim christensen

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    appears to be well built, chainrings are easy to find

Weaknesses:    bad design, axle splines too long

Bottom Line:
I bought a used older Evolve XC set at a bike swap, knowing I was taking a risk, they were $50 including an Ultregra BB (I had to order the not-included drive side bolt/remover off ebay). Once installed on my old titanium mtn bike, there was a lot of drive side wobble. I think the guy I bought them from thought they were junk. I read Morewoods review; my tightening bold had also bottomed out on the axle, not the crank. I got out my small bench grinder and took off about 2mm from the end of the axle/splines, it tightened up great, no wobble and now it's very solid. I also noticed that I had about 4mm of space from the bb (68mm bb shell) to the cranks, which would allow the crankset to 'float' side to side about 4mm. The local hardware store has 2 packs of 24mm x 3mm O-rings, one O-ring on each side between the crank and the bb bearing looks just-right. We'll see how the crankset holds up, but I expect them to be fine.
I mostly ride tight xc trails, decent former Expert racer, pretty competent mechanic (the free mechanic for several of my friends, buy/sell bikes for fun), I've had 6 or 8 good bikes personally, and don't tend to break a lot of stuff.

Submitted by Morewood Shovanist a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    Chainrings shifted nicely - didn't last very long though

Weaknesses:    It appears many but maybe not all have a factory fault.
Cleary the large number of people getting "loose drive side crankarm" indicates a factory fault . As normal for the greedy corporations , Race Face has come to the conclusion it can sweep the issue under the carpet becuase there is not enough people affected to bring their name into dis-repute. We hope Race Face goes bankrupt. But I have a solution - read on!! :)

Bottom Line:
If your Cranks are loose or chucked into the back of the cupboard ..... get them out again!!

The drive side crank arm comes loose - It is not due to the washer as another guy mentioned , it is not due to an under tight/under-torqued crank bolt .

After much fiddling , I found the problem : Either the casting on the crank arm splines is too narrow or the spindle splines are too long . Either way the crank bolt bottoms out onto the end of the spindle and the crank arm therefore has very no pressure applied on to it from the crank bolt . The crank bolt should be bottoming out onto the crank arm , forcing it all the way onto the ends of the splines of the spindle where it will seat and lock tightly.

The solution was to carefully freehand grind a millimeter or 2 off the end of the spindle splines using an angle grinder . Be very careful and use safety gear!!
Now when I tighten the crank bolt till it bottoms onto the crank arm , all the pressure is doing what it should be doing - forcing the crank arm splines up the spindle splines until they seat 100% and have constant pressure applied. You may need to remove one washer off the spindle behind the crank arm to compensate for the crank arm now seating properly and fractionally further up the splines.

To check your crank : tighten the crank bolt , remove the crank arm bolt cap and then remove the crank bolt without pulling off the crank arm - there should be a tiny gap between the end of the spindle and the crank arm splines. If there is no gap and they are flush then the spindle is too long and needs to be ground shorter. Grinding it in a lathe would be the ideal option but my careful freehand grinding with an angle grinder worked perfectly.

My drive side crank arm had a huge amount of play , was ready to get thrown away - its now tight and 100% rigid. Time to go blast it down the trail again :)

Similar Products Used:   Xt

Submitted by mtnbici a Cross Country Rider from Frazier Park, CA, US

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    An inexpensive crankset that can handle the abuse of a 240 pound rider.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket is junk, it really ruins the crankset. The right side sealed bearings started making a clicking noise into my second year of use (less than 400 miles). It turns out the left side bearings were bone-dry. I removed the seals, cleaned the bearings, and applied grease. The jury is still out if this will keep the BB working. The BB was exposed to very little water.

Bottom Line:
Good set for the money, just keep an eye on the BB. Because of the BB bearing issues (google it, it's widespread) I can't give this product a higher rating.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   Sette Ace XC

Submitted by EwanMcKinnon a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap & Light

Weaknesses:    crank arm spline design

Bottom Line:
My wife and I have almost the same set-up. My drive crank developed a "wobble" after 30 months of riding (perhaps 80-90 rides). My wife's is going strong.

My big ring and pedals have taken a few hits on rocks but total weight of bike and rider is only 75-80kg so I'm not too impressed. That said, they are sold as "XC" and, perhaps RaceFace don't think XC riders should be hitting rocks.

Still looking for a replacement but it certainly won't be the Evolve XC cranks

Favorite Trail:   Wolftrax

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Orange 5

Submitted by Tim Barrett Jr a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, cool looking, cheap, shifts well

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great cranks so far. Not one bad shift. I don't know what everyone else is complaining about, not yet anyway. Guys, adjust your chains or something. There hasn't even been a sputter from these cranks yet. Also, go with isis. Get rid of the external bb. Bad invention.

Favorite Trail:   Kanuga, Greens Lick

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Turbine, Shimano Lx

Bike Setup:   Canfield one, Fox, Azonic, Michelin, Sram

Submitted by stosh87 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Forged Cranks hold up well.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket is the biggest piece of crap.
I'm serious the bb was a SRX it lasted about 100 miles.
Seizes up and sent back to Raceface. So like a dummy I upgraded to a XC Signature. The signature got wet in Sedona
and was binding up. Took it apart cleaned it and installed.
The Xc about 90 miles later started binding again. Called
Raceface they said I could send it in for forty dollars.
Sold the the Cranks, could not stand the headache they were giving me.
Don't buy these save yourself a headache.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line don't waste your money like I did.
Can't see to put money into something thats going to break
every 100 miles.

Favorite Trail:   Rocks

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast, no original parts
Waiting to purchase a crankset maybe SLR Shimano

Submitted by SambaBob a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light and shifts clean.

Weaknesses:    Chain rings bend easy. Drive side began to seriously wobble at @ one year.

Bottom Line:
I was loving this crankset until last week, when I noticed how loose it was. Tightened it up but it had major wobble half way through the next ride. I know that the crank bolt was bottomed out, so no problem with that. Looks like the plastic race is broken, too. Will try to get a new one of those, clean the junk out of the splines, and maybe add a hardware store washers like that one fellow recommended. In the mean time, add mine to the wobbly tales of woe that litter this thread like plastic on the beach in Mexico...

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   E bay

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Logic

Bike Setup:   Ventana Marble Peaks

Submitted by yfdcap a Cross Country Rider from Yuma AZ

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great crank for the money.

Weaknesses:    None with cranks. Bottom bracket not the best.

Bottom Line:
Most if not all spline problems are from not enuff torque. Part of this is Raceface's fault. You have to tighten until they are fully seated and the bolt bottoms. Not a actual torque spec number. I have beat on these cranks trying to hurt them and have had no issues. I go 210 LB ready to ride.
Bottom bracket is not great. I have went through a couple. Also go through Shimano's just as easy. These can be taken apart. If Phil Wood grease is used they last well.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona trails

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, XT's, FSA and so on....

Bike Setup:   These cranks have been on a Heckler and are now on a Blur.

Submitted by tpparker a Cross Country Rider from Dgo, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    The machining of the arms is pretty sharp. It's decently stiff. (It came OEM.)

Weaknesses:    The splines on the drive-side arm were finished after only a season or so.

Bottom Line:
I was really irritated by this crankset, not simply on account of its premature failure; but, more on account of the symptom at first appeared to be that the drive-side bolts wouldn't stay torqued, always loosening after a ride or two. So, after ordering a new set of bolts I finally realized the splines had warped, thereby allowing play and causing the bolts to loosen. I already knew better than to ride anything but Shimano in regard to crankset, and this has just strengthened that belief.

Favorite Trail:   CO

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Shimano

Bike Setup:   '06 Santa Cruz Nomad: Deemax, Zocchi FR 1, DHX, Avid Codes, SLX Crankset, etc...

Submitted by jbasto_tox a Weekend Warrior from Hollywood, FL

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    looks good

Weaknesses:    bearings wore out prematurely.

Bottom Line:
This crank held up pretty good at first. Looks great. When I rode in a little water and mud the bearings started to make noise. Found out that the bearings went bad. I did not ride that much or very hard. Very disappointed. My Shimano XT was replaced only because I wore out the rings. Going back to Shimano. Very weak product to be used for Mountain Biking.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumer

Submitted by Stevie a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff crank (after fixing).

Weaknesses:    I use this crank on my old steel hardtail for road-riding. I have had the same problem that a lot of the other riders in this forum have experienced. After a few hours of riding, the chain ring side would develop play and require retightening. After tightening it so many times that the fastening bolt bottomed out on its threads, I got fed up and used a thick steel washer on the bolt to allow for more contact area on the crank and tightened the heck out of it. So far, so good, but Race Face should test it's products more thoroughly before marketing them. I was able to fix this crank with a simple washer, consumers deserve better than this!

Bottom Line:
Poor design by Race Face, not enough contact area on the crank side bolt to keep it properly tightened.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills Conservation Area

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   1998 9-speed Oryx Oxy Gold Equipe steel hardtail with XTR shifter and rear derailleur, V-brakes, hubs , Carbon Eclipse levers, Fly Carbon seat, EC70 carbon seatpost, Titec carbon stem, Solar carbon bars, Profile Design bar ends, Maxxis Xenith tires and Winwood carbon fork.

Submitted by RobXC a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Stiff and Ballah Looking.

Weaknesses:    Uhh...the fact that I waited for the crappy Truvativ Powerspline to break...which it of course.

Bottom Line:
When I had to replace my ISO Flow I was looking at the Deus from Race Face instead of the Evolve because the Deus was made of 7075 while the old Evolve was 6066. Turns out QBP didnt have the Black Deus so I grudgingly settled on the Evolve because it was 6066. Turns out while I was looking at RF website they upgraded the Aluminum for 09 to 7075 and man...I can't be happier! I figured QBP would charge me more for a new product, but dropping $120 for this was great and 100% worth it! So basically, all the bending and warping problems are all part of the past!

Purchased At:   QBP