Race Face Deus LTD Crankset

The Deus SL crank continues Race Faces legendaryTradition for excellence in aluminum cranks. Featuring our signature I-Beam arm profiling & our smooth shifting, made in CanadaTurbine rings, plusThe addition ofTheir 6AL-4VTitanium spindle,The Deus SL is an incredibly light & stiff performance crank-set. Designed specifically for cross country racing &Trail riding, Deus SL continuesTo setThe benchmark for performance aluminum cranks. All Race Face XC cranksets feature our EXI interf

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Very well made and appealing to the eyes.

Weaknesses:    First ride the drive side kept backing off the BB! Explanation below.

Bottom Line:
I decided to test this crank after a month due to fact I put it through a pace. At first I thought the design was flawed with the drive side that kept backing off the BB. As I looked back to my installation I suddenly remembered on the trail I forgot to use Loctite on the threads to secure the crank! Well, I went home after the ride and readjusting 4 times on that particular ride and cleaned the threads then applied Loctite. Allowed to setup and no backing off. The crank spins well and shifts like warm butter. No issue what so ever and even after pacing it with rock jarring riding, the crank has failed to back off. Goes to show you............use reversible Loctite on all critical components like cranks; brake calipers; and any other area that could back off due to jarring rides. The fit and finish of this Limited crank is second to none as well. I can't say enough of the shifting and beautiful coordinated color in red which I bought. If you need to add bling with performance the RF Deus LE is the way to go. I have heard the BB is the weak area but time will tell. It is stated that RF has fixed that issue and some of which may be the installer not using the appropriate spacer. Oh well, if you need quality I really like RF components. So bling meets quality finally.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek