Race Face Atlas Crankset

4.08/5 (38 Reviews)

The Atlas is Race Face's lightest, big-hit freeride crank ever. This second generation is lighterThan its predecessor without sacrificing any of its strength. It's also equipped with Race Face's “EXI” external bottom bracket for easier installation and removal. Manufactured from OPTIM-AL, over 20% stronger comparedToThe commonly used 7050 alloy “EXI” interface complete with one key hex release puller capFatTabTechnology - increased strength and compatible with all 4.5mmTab offset bashes5mm of c

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff, look rad, BB has lasted me.

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure what's up with mine, but putting it on or pulling it off takes ALOT of effort + a lever. My diabolous never had that problem.

Bottom Line:
Such a good crank, a little bit more flex then diabolous or saint, but that's a cost for weight. Servicing them is so simple, and the spacers are good to fine tune crank position as you don't have to worry about spacers under the BB as much.

Similar Products Used:   RF diabolous, shimano saint.

Bike Setup:   Giant glory.

Submitted by ButtonPusher a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    RF Atlas Freeride: Light, Super stiff, Pedal well, Strong, Great looking design, lots of color choices...

Weaknesses:    RF Atlas Freeride: None so far...

Bottom Line:
RF Atlas Freeride: Pretty much can't say enough good stuff about these. They're light and incredibly stiff. They pedal super easy. The design looks awesome. They come in lots of colours to match your rig. I've ran them on 2 of my bikes (different sized BB's) and never had a single issues ever with either set...

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Various kids of Truvativ...

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Faith 0 frame, 2010 RS Totem Solo Air, Vivid 5.1 shock, Mavic Deemax (Silver), RF Atlas FR crankset, Magura Louise brakes, Chromag OSX bars, etc...

Submitted by Steel Freak a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix AZ

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Good Looking

Weaknesses:    ISIS interface

Bottom Line:
If you have a set of these cranks, you had better check the bolt torque on a weekly basis, One of the arms got loose on a long ride and when I got back and tried to re torque it it was too late as the crank arm was toast. I had the Cranks over a year at that point and had moved to AZ away from the selling dealer. I ran an XT crank until I sold the bike. The XT was better and never let me or the new owner down.

Purchased At:   Bicycle John's

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Moment

Submitted by greenblur a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    Super stiff, very burly, indestructible. US made aluminum milled and anodized by our Canadian neighbors. The chainrings have been through hundreds of miles and still look new. The profile they mill into the rings allows for extremely smooth shifts even though I'm running a 10 speed SRAM setup on dedicated 2x9 cranks. Plus, they look badass compared melty-looking Sram and Shimano cranks.

Weaknesses:    At around 1000 grams, you can find lighter cranks (such as Shimano SLX) but they wont be as burly. Race Face bottom brackets are not that great. I have used these cranks externally mounted with a Race Face BB, a Shimano external BB and a Sram PF30 with the Problem Solver adapter. The Race Face bottom bracket was always tighter then the others.

Bottom Line:
I do not understand the complaining about the X-type interface. I ran these cranks on a Gary Fisher X-Calibur with an externally mounted bottom bracket. Race Face makes it clear in the instructions that you have to face and chase the bottom bracket before installation. My Fisher had paint all over the face of the bottom bracket, which I removed by sanding. I easily installed my cranks and they never came loose. I currently run these cranks on my Spearfish with a Sram PF30 bottom bracket using an adapter. I've never had a problem with them. Ditch the RaceFace bottom bracket and you will have a sweet looking, indestructible crankset.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select, Race Face Dues (which are basically a lighter version of the Atlas).

Bike Setup:   Salsa Spearfish - Reba RL, X7/X9 shifters/derailleurs, RaceFace Atlas AM crank, Kenda Slant Six tires, ODB lock ons, Fizik seat

Submitted by rockcrusher a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    These are nice stiff cranks. Attractive, especially in comparison to the melted looking Shimano alternative.

Weaknesses:    The crank arm interface is still a pressfit which over time will wear out, my original complaint with the ISIS system. Since the tolerance is so tight and the press fit is so minimal all it takes is a bunch of repeated removals and they will develop play.

Bottom Line:
The interface is the weak point in these cranks. If you have a bike that you anticipate removal of cranks regularly, say a EEB equipped Singlespeed such as the Salsa, they will wear out and get play. Once the play is there, they will start loosening on rides further exacerbating the play in the system.

As they broke just as Raceface when into receivership I thought I was screwed but evidently Raceface is back so I am again pursuing returning them for warranty.

Alas I will probably sell them if I get them warrantied and get a crank with a standard pinch or no interference interface such as shimano or fifteen G cranks.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky ones

Purchased At:   Trisports.com

Similar Products Used:   Sweet wings, Bullseye, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi, 1x9, 2x9, 3x9 and SS configurations.

Submitted by bcinlas4 a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2010

Strengths:    Trouble free, weight, stifness

Weaknesses:    Setup

Bottom Line:
This review is for RF cranks in general. I've owned a set of Evolve for 5+ years, and two sets of Atlas FR (diffrent lengths) for over a year each. Have no idea what people are talking about when they say that they constantly come loose. I've only ridden RF cranks and have never had them come loose, not even slightly, ever. I'm finishing another build and will go with the Atlas AM on this one. I looked at the XT, but why change if the RF have been flawless.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Submitted by sevenpedaler a Weekend Warrior from Anoka, MN USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff and strong. I like the wider Q-factor since I am a big guy and need it. Easy install and haven't had to touch them since. (except for the rings) No problems at all with the bearings. They use better grease in the '09 models.

Weaknesses:    The big ring is a weak tit. I'm pretty careful over rocks and logs, and these still seem to bend easy. I'm either going to try a new outer ring (different brand) or go to a bash guard cuz the big ring is useless anyway-deflects and rubs on front derail.
A bit heavy...maybe a good thing in my case???

Bottom Line:
I like these cranks. The price was right and they are very stiff. They seem to have a bit wider Q than others. Some have complained about that, but I like it since I'm 6'7", 245# I like the spindle design with the attachment on the drive side. They are super stiff and tough and the finish is durable. The big ring sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Hillside

Purchased At:   AEBike

Similar Products Used:   XT, FSA

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X Ti Custom. XO Tago, CK hubs, CK head, CK BB (soon) Avid SpeedDial Ultimates, BB7, Fizik Gobi, Fox RLC 100

Submitted by Kiwikid a Cross Country Rider from Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff and Strong
Excellent shifting
Chainline adjustment
Easy to install if you can follow instructions

Weaknesses:    High torque to install on first attempt but resolved after tightening and loosening a few times so now not an issue

Bottom Line:
Really stiff so you can feel all of your effort transmitting to the trail. Both up and downshift is quick and reliable. Bottom bracket rotation is a little stiffer than shimano but not really and issue.
Initially required really high torque to install but I tightened it up and loosened it a few times and while remaining firm to install once it is tight you can just forget about it
Have always wanted a Raceface Crankset and the Atlas AM has lived up to my expectations
Have had no problems with BB bearings so far

Favorite Trail:   Pipeline

Purchased At:   Bikebling

Similar Products Used:   Most Shimano
FSA Afterburner

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by acroy a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    cool looks
stiff
not Shimano
stout rings
good shifting

Weaknesses:    bearings
bearings
bearings

Bottom Line:
Disappointed overall…

I use these cranks on my commuter “Best of Burden” bike: 4000+ miles per year of commuting & towing a trailer with kiddies & groceries.

I have previously broken cranks & munched BB’s. After the last crank broke, Kokka Bonnie Forged, I decided to go “all out” with a f/r rated crank for safety / reliability. Don’t want no crank failures while towing my 2 kids through traffic! It came down to Saints or Atlas.

The crank cost around $225, installation was fairly complex but smooth if you can read & follow directions, cranks are very stiff, shifting is good, rings are very solid. But the bearings became a bit loose after 2k miles. This is ON ROAD in TEXAS, not much mud or water or 12ft hucks or anything… bearings finally munched themselves after 6k miles.

Repair is a matter of installing $20 Shimano bearings.

So this is a good crank with bad bearings. Beware, be prepared, or just buy Saints & forget about them. These look cool though :p

Favorite Trail:   dodging cars

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   various Shimano, Sugino, Kooka

Bike Setup:   Fetish Discipline set up for "urban" duty

Submitted by Wonko a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Design, shifting quality

Weaknesses:    Bearings, chain rings, Q-factor

Bottom Line:
On the second ride I found that one of the teeth on the middle chainring was bend. Not a big deal since I could just bend it back with a pair of pliers (at home, not on the ride). After a bit less than three months the bottom bracket bearings run very roughly. The crankset is a 2007 model and my understanding is that the initial issue with the hygroscopy of the grease used in the bearings is supposed to be solved. Not so in my case. Finally the drive-side crank passes so close to the chainstay that it rubs on the chainstay protector.
These cranks replaced a considerably cheaper set of Truvativ Stylos which performed flawlessly for one and a half years. Of a crank that retails for $200-$300 I expect better reliablity than that and after not even three months I am considering of changing them again. I have used other Race Face products before and was very happy with them. However, I do not expect to find cranks of that brand on any of my bikes in the near future again.

Favorite Trail:   Dnalrag

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Stylo, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, SRAM drivetrain

Submitted by cannon 16 a Weekend Warrior from northumberland uk

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Strengths:    stiff, strong, good 'rings

Weaknesses:    trial and error setup, very poor bearings

Bottom Line:
This review equally applies to other x-type cranks, as I've owned them all and they all have the same strengths and weaknesses. They are all really nice cranks - well machined with very good chain rings (much better than shimano, but not Middleburn) which survive harsh uk conditions well. they are light (well, not Diabolous) and strong and have stood up without complaint despite pretty hard use (6'drops to flat with deus/atlas and regular 15' to tranny with diabolous). Atlas could be used for downhill so don't think you need them unless you really rip it up (regular 6'-10' drops)- save the weight and get Deus, they are super strong, but I sold my bike with them on. Deus are mad strong for the weight - go for these if you generally don't exceed the 5' mark for drops. They all resist rock dings, crashes and scrapes well. They are stiff. All good? Hmm, no.Fitting is a chore, especially if using a chain guide. Even without, finding the correct chain line for your bike can be a bit trial and error. I'm always left with the feeling that spacers and pre-load washers are not the most elegant engineering solution. However, once set up right they work well and only one set of atlas cranks has come loose/creaked continuously. Bearings however are complete junk. 6months max in uk. Replace with shimano (if on budget) or better, Hope. Both make proper bearings. I've never (in 5 sets of x-types) had any problems with stripping or excessive looseness.

Similar Products Used:   deus, diabolous, xt, xtr

Submitted by Teamfubar a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Great strength to weight ratio, stiff, good looking.

Weaknesses:    Chainrings are a bit wimpy.

Bottom Line:
After reading these reviews, I had to chime in. I have been running these cranks for almost 2 years with no bearing issues at all. The deal is, with Race Face, or any other external bearing BB, the BB shell HAS to be faced before installation or the bearings will seize. I think if most people will take the time to set them up right, you will have no issues at all. Mine spin smoothly, don't creak, don't loosen up, and keep rockin' ride after ride. The only issue that I have had is a tooth broke off of the middle ring during a sloppy shift. Never had that with any XTR rings, so we'll see how this works out.

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR (M-952), Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco, Sram X.0, Chris King.

Submitted by Lande Edmiston from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff crank with great shifting ability and strength for any mountain use.

Bottom Line:
Great Crank all around. Works for any part of mountain biking, downhilling or XC.

Favorite Trail:   Fernie!

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 70

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Horsetooth Mountain Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, easy to install, shifts well, stiff, stiff, very stiff

Weaknesses:    Hard to call this one weak...

Bottom Line:
The stock Stylo started creaking and occasionally backed out on its own. It constantly needed fresh grease and tightening so I upgraded to the ATLAS . What a HUGE difference - like standing on a cement slab vs a piece of balsa wood. Even though this crank is a couple of ounces heavier, I'm actually riding and climbing faster due to better power transfer. Increases confidence and downhill speed as I can surf the bike without the flex of the Stylo. A great crank - couldn't be happier.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on