Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

• Crank lengths - 165mm, 170mm, 175mm
  • Spindle is 19mm (3/4") by 48 tooth spline
  • Four cartridge sealed bearings
  • Adjustable chainline
  • Crankset weight - 2825 grams (inluding bottom bracket)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Sashbike a Downhiller from London=UK

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2011

Strengths:    Strong and solid.

Weaknesses:    Not chrome plated. Difficult to set your chain devices depending what you run but it is all possible.. The bottom looks or sounds crap although i don't know cos use a different one.

Bottom Line:
    These cranks are like profile bmx cranks=basicly stiff, solid, reliable and simple.. Yes they weigh a touch but you can buy Ti 19mm axles or bolts aswell to help=Just make sure you set them up properly hint hint!! With the axle tube washer in the centre between the bb bearings which has to be exactly right solid fit in size according to the size of your bb frame tube wideness,bb etc and also fit the right amount of washers=not tooo many! so that the bb splined axle is nearly all the way in the crankarm spleen finaly leaving only afew mm equally each side of arm axle for bolt tighten space=they don't creak like that thankyou!!! Just take your thinking time and don't forget to use ya grease either!!! I hope this helps!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Everywere

Purchased At:   of a friend

Similar Products Used:   Original Profile bmx cranks etc..

Bike Setup:   Custom personal design Burls Titanium bmx 24" cruiser with dishless 6speed on the back..

Submitted by Ripper a Downhiller from Western MA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, cost, looks.

Weaknesses:    Intructions (or lack there of), loose ball bottom bracket, set up, finish, cheap chainrings

Bottom Line:
    These are a great stiff cranks, especially if you are on a budget. The set up was a pain the ass with all the washers, it took several rides to get it all worked out. The bottom bracket is pure garbage. I had a catistrophic failure during a ride, and it took forever to get the small pieces out of my frame. I ended up getting a Euro BMX bottom bracket and that solved all the issues I was having and is still smooth 5 years later! The chainrings were kinda soft but I ended up getting about two years out of those (didnt ride much until recently). Overall if you can get one cheap and you use a Euro BMX bottom bracket from the start you will have a strong durable crank that will provide years of use without issues. I gave it three flaming chilis because I had to spend more cash to replace the chainrings and the BB, and five flamong chilis for overall value because once I was able to work out the bugs, the crank became indestructable. Ive had it on my bike since 2002 and with the Euro BB its still smooth as butter!

Favorite Trail:   Upper/Lower Yeti

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Marin Quake (hardtail) Nothing stock except the seat collar.

Submitted by jump mi'bike a Weekend Warrior from bc, canada

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    f-in strong crank arms!

Weaknesses:    cartridge bb.

Bottom Line:
    these arms kick. yeah theyre heavy, but they outlive. my pedal spindle bent. these arms didnt. after 1 season, bb took a dive, so i'm going to try the eu. bmx kit, see if that helps. they cost less, but after replacing the bb a few times, i suppose they endup costing about the same as other comparable products. but the arms are strng! riding these makes me want to get the isis equivilent. plus i can use the leftover parts on my mx bike

Purchased At:   l.b.s.

Bike Setup:   a/m rm piplone

Submitted by Matthew Altamura a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    COol

Weaknesses:    bad

Bottom Line:
    had to eat it

Favorite Trail:   yours

Purchased At:   my friends house

Similar Products Used:   indeed

Bike Setup:   love

Submitted by Travis a Weekend Warrior from Brantford, Ont., Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    these cranks are strong as you can getz. comes with bashguard, 2 chainrings bottom bracket and all the spacers you need. it even comes with the crank puller.

Weaknesses:    the only couple of issues i have with this crank is the locking ring keeps coming loose from time to time and there was no instructions, luckily one of my buddies and i put the thing together in a couple hours.

Bottom Line:
    i actually payed about $270 Cdn. for this crank (which is around $200 US).
    for what you get for the price, you can't beat it. compared to over priced cranks from raceface and primo, that don't even come with half the parts that the fsa comes with, it's a deal. as far as people blowing bearings and bending bottom brackets, either you guys are some real hardcore riders or the crank wasn't properly installed. I have been beating the snot out of this crank for more than a year now and it's been great.

Purchased At:   bikeroom.com

Similar Products Used:   truvativ hussefelt.

Bike Setup:   04 kona stuff - 05 Z1 bomber w/OR20, singletrack wheels, fsa xdrive crank, hayes hydros, fsa pig pro hsd.

Submitted by Asa Robbins from Prescott, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Strengths:    Steel is real! Nothing better than having pure strength and absolutely no give in the lower regions of the bike. I love not worrying about what might happen if I hit them on a rock, theres no way the crank will bend, and if you bend one they your a beast.

Weaknesses:    The bearing crater really easily. There are a couple of sealed bearing that work as the bottom bracket for the crank set. If they get any water on them at all then they will seez up and eventually break apart. Also the solid cro-mo axle bends and is really really hard to remove after it bends. One more thing, if you get this set of cranks make sure you set aside a couple of hours for set-up because even the most skilled bike mechanic will spend tons of time trying to space the cranks correctly.

Bottom Line:
    Cranks are bomb proof and stiff as hell. The bad ratting is for the absolutely horrible bottom bracket that FSA gives you to use with the cracks. I have blown through 5 sets of bearings, and bent one of the solid cro-mo axles they give ya. Also when you call FSA for help they aren't very polite and will tell you that you set the cranks up wrong, if setting them up according to the manual that is included with the cranks is wrong then how should I set them up? For the money they are awesome as long as you have lots of time and a good friend at bike shop that knows what he or she is doing.

Similar Products Used:   Various Isis crank sets, FSA and Truvativ. I had the FSA V-Drives and traded a friend those for the X-Drives.

Bike Setup:   Steelhead, Trail Pimps, Marazocchi '04 z-1

Submitted by bil fil a Downhiller from calgary

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2005

Strengths:    simple to work with, descent

Weaknesses:    Warping at splines

Bottom Line:
    like all mtnbike cranks they suck, bmx cranks (american bb) are the only good cranks out there and they cant be installed on a mtnbike. Never had any problems with bb or cups, but the splines warp and they creak when you pedal as do all mtnbike cranks. I do 10 ft to flats on them, and they have never had any problem. Compared to bmx cranks there crap, but to garbage like hussefelts or holzfellzers these are far superior.

Favorite Trail:   milenium

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   block 8, hussefelts, wide variety, buy i guess hussefelts are the most similar

Bike Setup:   jackflash harcore trials

Submitted by Lucas a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    Good cranks, strong, better than FiveDs and affordable.

Weaknesses:    Being underrated, most negative reviews have been posted two years ago, or the reviewers had had the product for at least 2 years and I currently own an 05 crankset. I thought it was squeaking but i put lube on my chain and it went away!

Bottom Line:
    Better than fiveDs. I ordered Husselfelts but I got these instead so being the idealist that I am, I used the cranks anyways and they were great.

Favorite Trail:   local dirt jump and assorted urban drops.

Purchased At:   outdoor sports center

Similar Products Used:   truvative fiveD {sucks ass}

Bike Setup:   04 specialized Hardrock, FSA cranks, Marzocchi DJ3, stock otherwise

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Strengths:    Beefy and stiffer than Ron Jeremy when running properly

Weaknesses:    Instructions are weak
    I have had to replace every piece of these cranks

Bottom Line:
    I really like these cranks when they are running well, but over the last 2 years they have caused me endless headaches. Luckily the FSA warranty department has been good to me so far. Problems have included:
    Drive side cranks machined incorrectly - had to get them machined at my own expense to allow them to run properly
    Drive side spindle hole stretched - needed axle and crank arm replaced
    Bearing seized (to be somwhat expected)
    Non-drive crank arm spindle hole seems to be stretched and needs to be replaced.
    Setup was hit and miss until FSA pointed me to the On-One Retard crank site for installation instructions with diagrams. I was then able to teach the mechanic at my lbs how to install them.
    Like I said, I love these cranks when they are running smooth. I am 6', 215, and when I twisted my Race Face cranks for the last time, my lbs told me not to mess around and go straight to cromoly. I am not much of a hucker, so I really expected these cranks to be more reliable.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face

Bike Setup:   Norco Launch

Submitted by JJ Wright a Downhiller from Reno, Nevada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Once and again - Strength, burly, reasonably priced near the end of summer(finally), so forth and so on... I haven't owned them long enough or beat them up enough to vouch for their durability.

Weaknesses:    Instructions were weak, no illustrations and a little difficult to follow. BB setup is definitely awkard with all these dang spacers. Took it apart a few times before I could figure out the best way for a fit. The guy below says you should have a tech install these things, he's right. But if you're no where near a shop (I'm in Iraq) and you're putting your own bike together for the first time, good instructions and simplicity help. As far as I can see the other guy below was correct in regards to the bearings being exposed. Unless there was a part missing in the box or the people at FSA want my bearings to freeze, I don't see anything that came with the cranks that will keep the bearings protected. I don't expect them to last long.

Bottom Line:
    The cranks are strong, but as other reviews post I am expecting to change the sealed bearings regularly. I've already ordered a spare BB in anticipation. I'm not going to risk waiting for a replacement and being without my ride. Don't buy them if you want to ride and forget about the mechs. Expect regular upkeep and maintenance. After the intial install, taking them off and cleaning them now and then should'nt be difficult for those of us with common mechanical sense.

Favorite Trail:   Steep, fast, no other riders

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   The whole shimano line of cranks at one point or another.

Bike Setup:   SC Chameleon, Manitou Firefly forks, SRAM X.O Gears/shifters with Front and rear der., Atomic wheels/hubs, Avid BBD brakes, Azonic shorty stem, Chris King Head, Azonic Chubby handlebars, Azonic Love Seat (Ahhh Plush), ACME screws and bolts...

Submitted by david molony a Downhiller from Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    they are black at the start, and the arms wont bend.

Weaknesses:    the brearings BL0ody hell. i went thorough 4 sets in a year and a half, i had them set up by two bike shops, on by me (actuallylasted longest) and one by a mate accross the road: they incessantly broke!!!!

Bottom Line:
    they are not worth one bit of the money: get a set of isis or octalink cranx, they are cheaper and have disposable bottom brackets that last. also mine rusted the secobd the pain flaked, FSA? Frickin Start Again.

Favorite Trail:   rough common jumps

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Vdrives, darkangels, Deore, Suntour (longest lasting yet) power pro, stylo team (they r crp 2)

Bike Setup:   Identiti slalom with DMR chain cage

Submitted by jon a Cross Country Rider from il

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Scarry,Strong,Stiff and Smooth!! Bearings are extremly smooth in the bottom bracket, even after about 10 months of riding

Weaknesses:    This was a Rubic's cube of a mother to put together. Man! whats up with all them spacers? Paint wears easy but to be expected. .WIEGHT INCREASE = slower bike oh well put a 46t ring on the spider. .I did.

Bottom Line:
    All is well as long a you THINK and get the Chain----line straight! Plan on a 2 day project building these. Don't give up. I took em apart, shuffeld the spacers and put em back together around 5 times before I got it right. . This helped my bike shift better. . I am more confident with these I could see the LX's flex on my 243lbs. .

Purchased At:   Unreal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   HMMM. None. . These replaced my Deore LX's. Bye Bye flex

Bike Setup:   02 TREK 4300,Deore LX VBrakes,derailure's,Shifter's,Hubs and Azonic Stem and Bar's, with XDrive's with a 46 32 24 chain ring setup. On back is a 11-28 XT casset

Submitted by Charlie Sponsel a Downhiller from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    Strong spindle, arms
    Great warranty and service
    Good at first

Weaknesses:    Super press fit
    Bottom Bracket sans spindle
    paint job wears off, it you care (flat black looks way cooler anyway)
    heavy I suppose

Bottom Line:
    basically I got a pair of V-Drives with the Platinum bottom Bracket from Unreal for my old bike(about 100 bucks). Worked perfectly. Then I switched them over to my bommer, requiring a 68mm BB, so I got a RaceFace. Unfortunetly, Other brands Isis interfaces don't worked too well, so I ened up stipping out the innerface. I call up Fsa, they give me a pair of X-Drives for 50 bucks, and i get em in the mail 3 days later. The BB spindle was super press fit, and i almost broke the bolt trying to install them. 6-months later, the bearings are shot, the logos are worn off, and the whole system was loose. Apperently, due to the design, a bb shell mounted chainguide puts extreme amounts of stress on the bearings, causing them to freeze up, so I could choose between a loose chainguide or frozeen bearings. So, I got a Profile 19mm Euro conversion kit from dans comp, and everything is better now. If you want a pair of cranks cheap, get on-ones or go to dans comp, get a pair of 22mm Snafus (or any 3-piece BMX bb) and a 22mm euro conversion kit (about 155 bucks, will literaly last you FOREVER). These are all right, but if it had been my call, I would't have spent my money on these.

Favorite Trail:   Anything X_TReMe