Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

• Weight: 1003g – with BB

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Stephen

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2013

Strengths:    Looks great....stiff and strong

Bottom Line:
    These reviews are so funny....bent and twisted riding in my driveway...lol....bent when I crashed, and no warranty.... ummmm, usually that's how it works..I have FSA Comets on my 2013 Cannondale Scalpel and they are great....I ride serious technical trails in NEPA and since being a 29 er, ground clearance is low....pedals, crank arms and sprockets nail rocks really hard...ends are all nicked up, but wouldn't you know they are straight as an arrow...I cannot believe how strong the sprockets are....
    Negative reviews like these outlandish ones are usually by bad mechanics and angry people.

Submitted by premopies

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    None - poorly designed

Weaknesses:    Left arm crank comes loose due to weak and poorly designed pre load bolt

Bottom Line:
    Basically there has been problems with the Gravity Moto - X and the FSA Comet single speed MTB cranks now for quite some time, both those cranks mentioned are often fitted to complete bikes to save money. I work in a bike shop and even after applying some loctite to the pre load bolt they work themselves loose. Once that happens your best option is to throw these pieces of crap in the rubbish bin. FSA will only tell you to apply some more loctite which is worthless once the pre load bolt has loosened. I personally put my FSA comet crank set in the rubbish bin after 2 months and up graded to a Shimano Zee crank set which has a very reliable system that does not come loose. I must point out I used to race many years ago but these days do not, but even commuting my customers have had problems with the Moto X crank set. Do not buy a bike with an FSA single speed crank set and if you do, get rid of it quick and replace it with a higher grade from another brand.

Submitted by mullen119 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, works good.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
    I almost feel obligated to write a review because of all the bad reviews. I have had this crankset for two full seasons(on two different bikes) and had no problems with it. I have gone DH riding on multiple occasions and put them through a lot of abuse with no issues at all. Im not sure if people have not installed them correctly or what, but I have had zero problems.

Submitted by roadrashisfun a Weekend Warrior from Yucaipa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    Um.....All aluminum so you can get like 50c for recycling

Weaknesses:    Absolute garbage you'd have to pay me to get another pair of these. I am a dirt jumper and the bent on the first jump I took them off of, I wasnt gonna make it so rather than case the jump i simply landed on top of it and the drive arm was facing at a downward angle nicked the top of the landing and bent. Extremely dissapointed in FSA cranks.

Bottom Line:
    If you plan on doing anything with these cranks other than using them for a paper weight throw them away!!

Favorite Trail:   Sheep Hills

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   GT La Bomba

Submitted by Stoica Adrian a Downhiller from Moreni,Dambovita,Romania

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    those pice of crap is just now worth the money....buy a hussefelt..or if you have more money a holzefeller n' try to bent those ones:)):D:D

Bottom Line:
    weak

Favorite Trail:   on the rocks(at playbike Brasov:D)

Purchased At:   bike23august@yahoo.c

Bike Setup:   got them on a trade with a phone:))

Submitted by Hun a Weekend Warrior from Goldsboro NC

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good. OE on the 08 Jamis XAM 2.0. Great customer service from Jenson USA.

Weaknesses:    I bought this bike for when I get stationed in Korea in a few months. I assembled the bike, tuned the suspension and rode around my driveway. After a few more tweaks jumped back onthe bike and I felt a slight bend on drive side!!! I'm glad I found the problem here, rather than Korea. I called Jenson USA and they told me to keep my OE cranks and shipped me Race Face Atlas AM!!! Who does that!!! I am still shocked. I think they found a customer for life.

Bottom Line:
    Cranks are horrible. I have benn known to destroy some cranks (6'3" 240lbs), but this is not even funny! I bent them testing the suspension in the drive way! The bike never left the ground. Thanks the Jenson USA for their great customer service!!! Cant wait to try out the RF Atlas AM.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   RF Evolve, Shimano XT, FSA Gravity Step up, also went extreme and put GT BMX cromo 3pc on my Santa Cruz Chameleon

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon (custom all mountain)
    Jamis XAM 2.0

Submitted by Chyna a Downhiller from Israel

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    none really

Weaknesses:    this is a joke , this crank will bend by the tiniest gravel...
    I would not put it on a girl's beach cruiser bike

Bottom Line:
    Shame on Kona for putting this chip crap on their bikes no mater how much they are trying to save , this crank is simply unacceptable!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Manara's cliff

Purchased At:   came with Kona coila

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Submitted by willielb a Weekend Warrior from Stamford

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    will brake as quickly

Bottom Line:
    Even if it comes with the bike and you will be doing some freeride, replace immediately.

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull

Purchased At:   rscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SLX

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 7point

Submitted by jacksonbrowne a Weekend Warrior from Allover

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    ...errr....ummm.... well, i did get a replacement

the replacement does seem to be of a better quality construction and finish than the OEM that came fitted to my bike

Weaknesses:    more like a soggy noodle than a crank. twisted on 2nd ride. inside pedal ground into dry earth on a steeply banked berm and crank bent. hadnt even crashed!

not sure these really should be spec'd on 83mm BB's.

the OE version seems way way too weak for teh intended usage.

UK importer did swap immediately. i asked if this a common problem - they said "two or three" had ever been returned.

Bottom Line:
    maybe i just got that 1-in-10,000 faulty part (and maybe all the other 4 reviewers to date did too)

maybe there was a bad batch that we all got sh*te cranks from

maybe teh OE version just aint up to it.

there is a big difference with the aftermarket produced cranks tho

if i bend another i'll ditch em forever tho. last chance

Purchased At:   came fitted to new b

Similar Products Used:   SH Hone
    Steel cranks
    XTR

Bike Setup:   6x7 Fox coils

Submitted by kyle a Downhiller from langley,BC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    i bent these inward falling at slow speed on to a root, it barely even touched the root and bent,unbelievable,no warranty.

Bottom Line:
    these are riducoulisly bad i'm surprised you can make medal that weak i'm going to need a big incentive to go back to fsa.

Favorite Trail:   dirt merchant

Similar Products Used:   none,yet.

Bike Setup:   07 stinky,stock.

Submitted by murphdog55 a Weekend Warrior from redondo beach ca

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    cheap price

Weaknesses:    well i got 1 full ride on them and on the second ride my pedal hit a rock and twisted it like a pretzel. they are junk

Bottom Line:
    if you plan on doing any trail riding don't buy these, they would probably be ok to cruise to get some brews but avoid curbs. i only got them cause they came with a build kit.

Favorite Trail:   mt wilson

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   truvativ

Bike Setup:   kona stinky, roco tstr, azonic outlaws,

Submitted by toady040693 a Downhiller from Gold Coast, QLD, AUS

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    they look good thats about it

Weaknesses:    these came stock on my 2007 Kona stuff and after about 6 months they snapped in half, not just bent but snapped, so being only 6 months they were covered on warranty but after another 3 - 4 months i have now cracked it again. point being that these cranks are week dont get them

Bottom Line:
    Dont bother buying these cranks and i also suggest if they come stock buy a better pair!!!

Bike Setup:   2007 Kona Stuff w/ '07 drop off triples, mrp single speed chain guide, etc etc

Submitted by fedy a Downhiller from St. Catharines, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Were stiff while they lasted, look good.

Weaknesses:    Bent 180ing a curb. Yes, a curb. Slipped a pedal and when I put my foot back on they were bent. No warranty.

Bottom Line:
    These cranks bent 180ing a curb. I weight 190 pounds. That isn't right, and they're aren't covered on warranty. Never buy these cranks if they dont come stock on your bike.

Purchased At:   LBS (stock on bike)

Bike Setup:   Kona Scrap w/crankbro's 5050X, DJ3, Deity bars, e.13 STS w/ supercharger, full deore drivetrain.

Submitted by mack elsner a Downhiller from sparks

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    good legnth, good design.no ankle biting

Weaknesses:    bends WAAY to easily it bent after like 3 months on a few simple jumps... IT SUCKS do not buy if u do alot of jumps

Bottom Line:
    sucks do not buy if u do alot of jumps the bend and fles inward when they bend

Favorite Trail:   mr. toads wild ride

Purchased At:   high seirra cycling

Bike Setup:   07 kona scrap with marrizocci 888 suspension

fsa gravity moto x crankset removal problem

I have a big problem :madman: I have this crankset for couple of months now and I went to unscrew it (for the second time since I have it) and the 2 side bolts went out fine, but the main bolt which uses a hex key inside got worned out in the process of unscrewing. Now I have a still tightened ... Read More »

Gravity Moto-X Crankset or others?

I'm trying to put a new crankset on my blitz I and have been looking at Gravity Moto-x's and the RaceFace Ride-DH. I want to get some that come with the BB already and it needs to be 68mm...any reviews or rec's? oh ya and money is an issue i'm looking for something sub 150$Read More »

FSA moto X crankset