Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

FSA K-Force Light Compact 386 Crankset

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

FSA?s K-Force Light BB386 Crankset sheds the traditional design in favor of a new 5 arm, asymmetric design. The new design is stiffer in the highest stress point of the down stroke; you will definitely notice improved shifting and response with this upgra

Submitted by teriemer a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, stiff and stiff and light too (626g without BB). Way better than XTR - It's amazing how small things can have such a big impact.

Weaknesses:    Have added some protection against scratches on the crankarms to keep them sweet looking. Not that I needed that, but just for extra protection.

Bottom Line:
If you ride XC then this is the crankset you need! It runs so much better than XTR 2008 and it is just so stiff. Thought that XTR was the reference, but boy did I learn a leason here. And as mentioned in the PRO's - It's amazing how small things can have such a big impact. I'm clearly going faster with this crankset.

Can't say much about durability, but it seems no problemo. Mounting was a piece of cake - just followed the instructions, but don't forget to order the special tool to finalize the assembly.

Highly recommended (for XC use)

Purchased At:   Germany

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Custom build Canyon Pro F10 carbon HT (sub 19,5 lbs), Ritchey carbon, Fox 2011 terralogic, Stans ZTR Olympic, XTR drivetrain, FSA 2x9 carbon crankset, Time XS carbon titan pedals

Submitted by Brian a Racer from Litchfield, CT

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    stiff, light, shifts great with XTR

Weaknesses:    chainring bolt came loose and fell out which caused inner ring to shatter

Bottom Line:
This was my first leap into the 2x9 scene for my MTB. I will not ride a triple again. Went with the 27/40 and a 12-34 out back. The ratio so far is fine. It shifts flawlessly with my XTR stuff. Then on lap 2 of a 7 lap race yeaterday, the inner ring shatters. I finish the race in the 40 (ouch). Can't find a 27 anywhere online so I call FSA. They agree to send me out a replacement for free as long as I send them back the broken one. Looks like one (of the three) bolts came loose and fell out during race and when I shifted it into the little ring it just cracked off under pedaling pressure. I guess it's my own fault for not checking on the bolts? Otherwise this has been a great product and FSA gets a thumbs up from me for standing behind it (as they should).

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Pro29er, XTR drivetrain

Submitted by kamikaze0 a Racer from Cedar Hill, TX

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, exceptionally smooth ceramic BB, and stiff cranks. Durable.

Bottom Line:
I return to FSA with this crank. I had two Easton EC90's and both failed. FSA makes a great lightweight crank that is exceptionally durable. Little or no flex in the crank arms when mashing the pedals. It isn't cheap, but it is quality.

Favorite Trail:   Lone Elm TX

Purchased At:   B&B Bikes, Cedar Hil

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC90 (it broke...the second one broke, too).

Bike Setup:   Madone 5.9